Box Blade sizing

/ Box Blade sizing #1  

dirtymartini

Silver Member
Tractor
LS R4047 FEL & Backhoe
I just found a 60" Frontier (JD) box blade for sale locally. I think I can buy it for around $300 or so and it's in nice shape. My question is this; I would need a 72" to be wider than my LS R4047 rear wheel tracks. Would I be better off waiting for a 72" or can I get by with a 60"?

/ Box Blade sizing #2  
Well, IMHO, your tractor, being 47hp, would be adequate to handle either a 60" or 72" box blade. I come from the "camp" that says your box blade does not have to be wider than your rear tires to be effective. And for around $300 and being in nice shape it would be a good buy.

My tractor is 62hp and I have a 72" roll over box blade that works just fine. My rear wheel width(outside to outside) is 80".

Buy the 60" unit and try it. If you do find that a wider unit would be better - you can always sell it for the $300 and loose nothing.

You could be waiting a very long time to find a used unit in as good shape and for that low a price that is 72".

/ Box Blade sizing
I was hoping to hear that. If I can get it for $300 I probably can't go wrong. I'll know in a couple of days

/ Box Blade sizing #4  
I just found a 60" Frontier (JD) box blade for sale locally. I think I can buy it for around $300 or so and it's in nice shape. My question is this; I would need a 72" to be wider than my LS R4047 rear wheel tracks. Would I be better off waiting for a 72" or can I get by with a 60"?

You really want your box blade at least as wide are your rear wheels. My box scraper is 84" wide, my tractor is 78" wide at the rear wheels and rated at 60hp.

17218656028_9263ef7752_b.jpg

/ Box Blade sizing
Ok, that's one for wider...and one for narrower is OK. Hmmmm.

/ Box Blade sizing #6  
Mine is slightly more narrow than my tractor;works fine.Can't beat the price that's for sure.

/ Box Blade sizing #7  
While I prefer a wider box blade if the 60" is in good shape I would buy it.

/ Box Blade sizing #8  
I agree with ,Eric bit for that price, I'd give it a try. Mine is 86" and it hangs about 3" each side.

Really depends on what u plan to do with it.

/ Box Blade sizing #9  
I would not go narrower than the tires -- you'll never be able to cover your tracks. Box blades are not rare or precious finds; they are easy to come by. Wait for one that's the right size.

/ Box Blade sizing #10  
Another consideration is the basic style, a high back like Erick's:

maxresdefault.jpg

Or the low back or standard:

JD_425501_642x462.png

I also prefer the hinged back:

hr35_header.jpg

Last edited: