Borescopes... thoughts?

/ Borescopes... thoughts? #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
I've had a need every now & then for a Borescope.... that said, I simply go down to Autozone and do their loner program where you buy it.....and (as per their process) return it when you're done for a refund.

Thing is, I've never really liked the unit they have so have thought about buying a nicer one for myself. This would hopefully, present a better picture and would save me the 12 mile drive into town to get/rent one..... with the possiblity always being that they don't have it when I need/want it.

Thoughts on some brands/models? Cost is always a concern. I don't mind several hundred but a cursory glance, found some in the multiple thousands of dollars range.....for those, I'll drive into town & rent!!

Recommendations?

/ Borescopes... thoughts? #3  
   / Borescopes... thoughts? #4  
Not found one that was any use to me. Always end up with a clear view of nothing. The last I tried was a Klein Tools ET16. Couldn't get their app to load on my phone and it wasn't available on the play store. The only good part was I could just take it back to Home Depot.

I have a cheap android one but it has been useless.

For a tank I wanted to inspect I rigged up an old USB web cam with a light attached. It did a better job than of any of the boroscopes I tried but a little bulky. Hooked it up to a laptop and recorded.

/ Borescopes... thoughts? #5  
I have one from harbor freight and it has served me well, the reach on it is about 30" and the picture is very clear.

/ Borescopes... thoughts?
Interesting comments. I'll admit there are more responses than I had anticipated.

I appreciate the commentary.

/ Borescopes... thoughts? #7  
I bought a $20 one that plugs into the USB port on a computer. It works pretty well. Last year I accidentally dropped a knife bolt inside the pto chipper. They provide an access door but the bolt was on the other side of the rotor which is a close fit in the housing. I made a tool by taping the borescope and a flexible claw type part grabber to a coat hanger wire, then used that to grab the bolt by going in the knife access port high on the housing. The $20 was worth it just for that one thing. Taking the chipper apart would have been a real hassle!

/ Borescopes... thoughts? #9  
I bought one that has a very long lead which I find cumbersome for things close by. Now think that something with a shorter lead would be more convenient to use in many cases.

They are cheap enough today that buying two different types would not be cost prohibitive.

Buy one and see what you think.

/ Borescopes... thoughts? #10  
I have a Ryobi one I bought a few years ago, LEDs around camera at end. Here's inside my mouth...works great for colonoscopys also .
20211207_182859.jpg