Blue Rhino?.. hmm.

/ Blue Rhino?.. hmm. #1  

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat
My BBQ 20 lb tank ran out a few days ago. I decided to go and have it filled for $12.99 instead of the usual $25.00 dollars for the many exchange outlets. Seemed like a money saver, and beside this little place puts 20 lbs in it instead of 16 like the exchange places.

It was all going to be so tasty. I had my Blue Rhino bottle ready to be filled, and she looked at the certification date on the bottle and it was 0204E. She says the E means it has been re-ceertified, in Feb. of 04. and re-certifications on these little tanks are only 5 years. OK.. so I have had it for maybe a year or two at most, so it was out of certification when I got my grubby hands on it from Blue Rhino?.. She says the original cert. is good for 12 years, We found it, and it was in 1993, so that would take it to 2005, but she says it was re-certified in 2004, probably for a valve change to include the valve with the Acme threads on the outside.

Maybe she told me the straight story, I don't really know.. She re-certified the tank with an inspection and a leak test, and put a serial number/date sticker and said it was good for 5 more years. I paid an extra $5.00 for her to do that, so got out for $18.00

/ Blue Rhino?.. hmm. #2  
How did she get 20lbs in the tank when it shuts of at 17? You are still 2 bucks cheaper than here.

/ Blue Rhino?.. hmm.
How did she get 20lbs in the tank when it shuts of at 17? You are still 2 bucks cheaper than here.

I am not sure murph, but that is what she said. It should just be the $12.99 next time anyway.

/ Blue Rhino?.. hmm. #4  
How did you figure that it shuts off at 17?

Many places wont don't weigh the contents, but just fill till liquid comes out the vent and shut it down. You get 20+ pounds it a 20# tank then.
Weight it the next best thing if the scales are correct which may or may not be the case.

/ Blue Rhino?.. hmm. #5  
The new tanks have a float in them to protect from overfilling.

/ Blue Rhino?.. hmm.
It was setting on a scale, but I failed to read it.

/ Blue Rhino?.. hmm. #9  
I have my tanks filled at Tractor Supply....1/2 of what the exchange places or anywhere else charges and they don't use the scale ...they fill the tank until gas starts to escape...4+ gal on the gauge I saw....about $12.00 & change a tank...

/ Blue Rhino?.. hmm. #10  
I used to sell propane (tank refilling) and we had to weigh them.
When I moved here, there were two ratty old tanks in the barn. I took them, one at a time, to Lowe's and did the Blue Rhino exchange thing. Now that I've got good tanks, I take them to be refilled. I think they're charging $14.00 around here, but one of the places periodically offers coupons.