Big Cars are killing Americans

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #193  
Sodium burgers and greasy fries. Hard to beat.
I always try to order the fries no salt. Really irritates the employees in the middle of the lunch rush. I am not a big salt fan and most foods are way too salty for me. And then I see people that will add additional salt to their fries, You can scrap about a tablespoon off the fries without the added salt. So you want fries with your salt.

Last edited:
   / Big Cars are killing Americans #195  
Per the Governor's Highway Safety Association - just pulled this out of my backside in a 5 second Google - Alcohol impairment by the driver and/or pedestrian was reported in nearly half of traffic crashes that resulted in a pedestrian fatality.

I won't dispute that the odds of death increase with the size of the vehicle... seems like pretty simple physics on that front, but how come nobody is tilting at the alcohol windmill here though? 50% alcohol impairment? Seems like there's a big root cause indicator here. By the way, don't answer this... It is a rhetorical question - I'm just putting it out there to play Devil's advocate because most battles like this only target a case they think they can win, and alcohol would be an electrified rail to touch.

How would this work for rural Joe, who needs to go to the big city to pick up something at a freight terminal? He can't drive his big truck into the city, and he doesn't have a small truck, and the carrier refuses to deliver down his cart path of a road. I get the intent, but I feel the implementation is pure madness. Let's use all that fuel tax and luxury tax that comes from our high priced death machines to help provide better lit and separate walking areas instead of banning trucks.

I understand that a lot of the intent here is that the asphalt warriors don't need a jacked up diesel, and I've seen a lot who would agree, but I'd remind anyone who thinks that way that you might become a victim of your own ideas. What if you live rural county, but that county also contains a city, and someone decides that county is now predominately urban, and you can no longer register a full size vehicle if you reside in that county? I'm sorry, but I will always be against any sort of legislation that is meant to protect me from myself. I may be naive but I still hope for common sense and personal responsibility. It's a flaw I live with and I'm not seeking any treatment for it.

Edit: by the way, I DO drive a car to the city for shopping when it will hold what I am buying. I've got no love for trying to park a truck in places where far too many people can't navigate the lines in a parking lot. This time of year it is the truck always because the road condition isn't always the best for the car.

Last edited:
   / Big Cars are killing Americans #196  
In 2018 I decided to buy a small truck so I went down and bought a Toyota Tacoma, just "like" the one I owned 20 years earlier. As I drove it for a while, it became more and more obvious there was nothing small about this truck. Worse yet, it got no better mileage than my old 1 ton Dodge. It took less than a year for me to figure out it was pointless to own two large trucks, so the Toyota went down the road. They just don't make small trucks anymore. All political BS aside, I would like to have a small truck, but unless I want to buy one that is 20 years old, I just can't. Seems strange to me.
Got out of 3/4 ton Dodge diesel into Jeep pickup, sometimes feel intimidated by the bigger pickups however I am an owner / operator & imagine that some may feel intimidated when I’m rolling down the highway in my big rig.
Just saying, people paying more attention to their phone than their driving scares me waaayyyyy more than the size of their vehicle.

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #197  
Got out of 3/4 ton Dodge diesel into Jeep pickup, sometimes feel intimidated by the bigger pickups however I am an owner / operator & imagine that some may feel intimidated when I’m rolling down the highway in my big rig.
Just saying, people paying more attention to their phone than their driving scares me waaayyyyy more than the size of their vehicle.
That depends entirely on the driver. Some feel that driving a bigger vehicle gives them the right to drive like an A-hole and take up 4 parking spaces. I say that if you can't drive it, trade for something that you can. Some of the worst drivers I see have a snowplow on front... they seem to think they are entitled to go too fast and take up both lanes. I'm not talking about town and state plow trucks...

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #198  
Per the Governor's Highway Safety Association - just pulled this out of my backside in a 5 second Google - Alcohol impairment by the driver and/or pedestrian was reported in nearly half of traffic crashes that resulted in a pedestrian fatality.

I won't dispute that the odds of death increase with the size of the vehicle... seems like pretty simple physics on that front, but how come nobody is tilting at the alcohol windmill here though? 50% alcohol impairment? Seems like there's a big root cause indicator here. By the way, don't answer this... It is a rhetorical question - I'm just putting it out there to play Devil's advocate because most battles like this only target a case they think they can win, and alcohol would be an electrified rail to touch.

How would this work for rural Joe, who needs to go to the big city to pick up something at a freight terminal? He can't drive his big truck into the city, and he doesn't have a small truck, and the carrier refuses to deliver down his cart path of a road. I get the intent, but I feel the implementation is pure madness. Let's use all that fuel tax and luxury tax that comes from our high priced death machines to help provide better lit and separate walking areas instead of banning trucks.

I understand that a lot of the intent here is that the asphalt warriors don't need a jacked up diesel, and I've seen a lot who would agree, but I'd remind anyone who thinks that way that you might become a victim of your own ideas. What if you live rural county, but that county also contains a city, and someone decides that county is now predominately urban, and you can no longer register a full size vehicle if you reside in that county? I'm sorry, but I will always be against any sort of legislation that is meant to protect me from myself. I may be naive but I still hope for common sense and personal responsibility. It's a flaw I live with and I'm not seeking any treatment for it.

Edit: by the way, I DO drive a car to the city for shopping when it will hold what I am buying. I've got no love for trying to park a truck in places where far too many people can't navigate the lines in a parking lot. This time of year it is the truck always because the road condition isn't always the best for the car.
I would rather hit a deer (and I have several times) with an SUV than a Smart Car-just saying:)

/ Big Cars are killing Americans #200  
To date, none of the vehicles I have owned have killed anyone. Maybe I just got lucky and bought one of the non killing models, lol.
But, do you know what they are doing while you are asleep? Maybe a security camera should be watching them.

:D

Bruce