Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop
Thanks for the encouragement, guys! I’ll carry on...

OFFICE

Here’s my small “outer” office in the “main” shop

IMG_4471.jpg

The rear of my shop and outside entrance to my “inner” shop. (Are you still following?). :D

This pic was taken a few years back when the palm tree was getting out of hand. I dug it out and sold it to have more money for tools. lol.

Still have to get around to relandscaping.

IMG_2035.jpg
IMG_2036.jpg
IMG_2037.jpg

“Inner” shop

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #13  
Need a higher resolution pic of that calendar on your office wall. :D

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #15  
Nice setup. :thumbsup:

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #16  
Wow! You have done well mister. Very nice.

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #17  
Terry, where did you get the pads or pedestals or whatever you call the things on your metal table to keep it fr moving? Looks like maybe foot operated? I used threaded pads that I wrench up and down. Not comvenient for a quick change from portable to stable.

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #18  
Very nice, well equipped work shop. How big is it and how wide and tall is your big door?

If you where to build a new shop today, what would you do differently?

Thank you for the comments,guys. Today I will address oversize’s question.

Richard, I assume you are referring to the “wheel locks” on the corners of my 4’x8’ welding table?

This is it a few years back when I built it. 3/8” plate bolted (with a few added weld tacks to achieve flatness) to a frame utilizing salvaged pallet racking. It can be easily dismantled for transport but to this day I really don’t know why I went the extra effort to incorporate this feature.

IMG_8292.jpg

A year or two back Princess Auto featured these wheel locks for sale. Priced somewhere around $12 Cdn each iirc. By stepping on the foot pad the item is attached to, (typically a castered table leg) its lifted an inch thus stabilizing the fixture.

I further modified each of the four locks by adding a threaded rod enabling the welding table to be levelled.

Floor lock on left in original form. Modified one on right.

IMG_3865.jpg

IMG_3866.jpg

IMG_2148.jpg

AFTER I modified these locks I found adjustable ones on line but to ship them to Canada would have been a spendy proposition.

Another pic of the table and one of my handier acquisitions: a high lift pallet jack.

IMG_1344.jpg

Please note the hi lift jack CANNOT be used with traditional pallets with bottom boards as they would interfere with the stabilizers and scissor mechanism. In the higher lift positions (6”-33”) the stabilizers are engaged and the jack CANNOT be moved.

This device has been one of the handiest items in the shop. From lifting heavy items to bench height to elevating projects to a comfortable welding, grinding, or painting height.

Very nice, well equipped work shop. How big is it and how wide and tall is your big door?

If you where to build a new shop today, what would you do differently?

Eddie I am occupying approximately 5000 sq ft of 4 adjoining buildings. I am EXTREMELY fortunate I was able to repurpose old farm buildings. (Keep in mind I have lived on this property my entire life). The small cost of course is having to work with what you have. Biggest downside is height.

The main shop ( originally cooler #3) only has a 12’ ceiling. Consequently the overhead door I installed is only 10’ high. :(

I would love to have ONE big shop with the same floor space, but I have learned to utilize and appreciate all the additional wall spaces with my existing situation. Makes it fun yet challenging to accommodate changes in shop equipment and my many unreasonable whims. :)

IF i had to do it over again ( which I doubt) I would build a beautiful shop like plastikosmd or oversized.