Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #31  
Hard to tell from the pic, Richard. Is it some type of arbor press?

Oh man,,,, you caught me.... I don't know what an arbor press is???? It's just a hydraulic press to me. Use it to press things together and press things apart. It's a 50 ton. I contacted Drake about the age of it since I had the serial number. I was disappointed. They didn't respond to repeated emails.

Tell me what an arbor press is versus just a simple hydraulic press?? Thanks Terry.

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop
Okay. This is my Dake arbor press. It is lever operated for precise pressing.

IMG_3224.jpg

IMG_3783.jpg

Does yours operate similar to mine?

Or maybe post a photo when you have time. Someone here may be able to identify it.

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #33  
Re: Big Barn痴 Retirement Farm Shop

Looks like maybe a riveting press on the left side of the arbor press. (referencing ovrszd post)

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #34  
I am "all about" this thread.:thumbsup:
My personal problem is self diagnosed, I call it "flat surface syndrome" where any flat surface in my shop will be piled high as gravity will allow with- you name it, within a half a day. Terry your organization (and of course your shop) is outstanding! When I grow up, :laughing: I hope to have your self control & discipline that your shop display's. I will use this thread as training.

In all seriousness, great thread Terry, I'm tuned in.

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #35  
Re: Big Barn痴 Retirement Farm Shop

I also assume it to be a riveting press to reline brake shoes. Didn't know the technical name. That's why I like these threads!!!! Here's a couple close up shots.

20190408_063811.jpg

20190408_063846.jpg

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #36  
Looks like a brake shoe riveter to me also.
I have a slightly newer 75t Dake, they are pretty awesome, only reason I have one was because it was free.........1404537865.jpeg

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop
npalen, Rustyiron,TMGT,and Rustbucket , welcome and thanks for chiming in. Feel free to comment and post your own pics.

Richard that rivet press will be so handy for all those little jobs that require STRAIGHT pressure applied. Looks like you could make up your own dies to suit new applications.

For those who have an arbor press, here’s a little device that will broaden your imagination for uses.

It’s a keyless drill chuck with a magnetic base. I keep a variety of short length drill rod handy for pushing small parts in (or out).

I found this one on eBay for cheaper than I could make myself.

IMG_4482.jpg

IMG_4483.jpg

And for those precise jobs I use this:

It is designed for watch repair and is complete with staking tools. A fellow I met had two of these from a retired watchmaker and I traded him some stuff for this one.

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #39  
   / Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #40  
I can't find a arbor press to save my life around here.