Better parking brake warning needed.

/ Better parking brake warning needed. #51  
I received the motorcycle switch as well. The actual travel of the brake assembly when viewed from underneath the tractor is a fairly short throw. I think it would be possible to make the switch work under the tractor, but I decided to order another switch to mount on the top of the brake lever housing.

I also thought that I could just turn on the hazard flashers when I use the brake.

/ Better parking brake warning needed. #52  
I've gotten spoiled with the parking brake on my Branson 8050, it has a power shuttle and if the parking brake is on when you engage the shuttle it just flashes at you and nothing happens.
With the older mechanical parking brakes that locked the main brakes it usually wasn't a big deal, and the bigger tractors that have a Park position in the transmission are usually very secure and Deere actually built theirs so you could power the parking dogs out when needed on steep grades. One thing IH didn't do good. The tractors with a separate parking brake have very often not put warning devices on them to alert a person that it is on my IH 574 is a good example of that the engine and transmission can easily over power the parking brake band and quickly ruin it leading to an expensive repair. Many of the newer larger tractors such as the IH Puma series and many of the New Hollands that use a separate parking brake have a small lamp that if working will attract your attention, unless you are concentrating on other things such as squeezing through a narrow gateway or hooking up to an implement especially a towed one that you have almost no leeway on the drawbar pin. All those tractors can easily over power the parking brakes and that will cause expensive repairs.
It is surprising how easy it is to neglect to release a parking brake when getting in and out of a tractor several times a day.

/ Better parking brake warning needed. #53  
My old M6800 would run until you could smell the brakes with the parking brake on.
Interesting comment in as much as Kubota brakes are WET brakes, immersed in fluid. Park brake acts on the main brakes, via linkage. I believe you have a vivid imagination.

/ Better parking brake warning needed. #54  
A better parking brake warning is needed. The MX52 will walk away with the parking brakes on without braking a sweat. :oops: :(:cautious: Happened twice now...
I'm thinking about adding a big flashing light. The tiny indicator in the cluster is nearly useless.
I'm wondering if anyone has made an improvement in this area.
I have a 2006 Montana 4320, it will not move with the parking brake on.

/ Better parking brake warning needed. #56  
My old Deere 1025R and every lawn and garden tractor I've owned could roll right through the parking brake, so long as power was being applied. As @jyoutz says, it'll hold at idle, but anything more than that and they'd power through like Hillary Clinton with a cold in 2016.

I don't think I've done it to the Kioti as of yet, but I'm sure I'll get around to it.

/ Better parking brake warning needed.
I took a deep look at the P brake linkage and I observe very few cogs for the catch to set on. Consequently I was setting the catch on the first cog. Which we have noted will hold the idle tractor but not when it is under power. Now I am using much greater force to depress the pedal to the second cog when it will noticeably bog the engine even under power as expected.
I don't know what the solution is.
A. Learn to use it as designed stupid.
B. make a new cog with more teeth or add a cog smarty pants.
:p ;)
Also I think we can all agree the handle needs to be extended up where it is easier to reach and push at the same time.

/ Better parking brake warning needed. #58  
Most parking brakes will stop an idle tractor from rolling, but will still allow the machine to move if power is applied. That’s the basis for this problem.

That's the same as for the hand brake on our 2007 vintage M59. Last summer I decided to take a look at the hand brake system to see if there was some problem. Why was the hand brake so hard to pull but did so little? And could I mount a solenoid for electric control?

I disconnected one cable end to see if the cable was bound up - it wasn't. Then with camera, mirror, and calipers I looked at the mechanicial advantage. Basically there isn't much. Not nearly enough. Nothing was wrong, juat overly complex yet inadequate.

After looking at the photos for awhile I gradually came to realize that what I was looking at was an afterthought - almost certainly added sometime after the basic tractor was designed. Whatever box it checked wasn't one concerned with function.

All in all, the hand brake is more of a curiosity than a concern. If I want this tractor to stay put, I just put the bucket edge down firmly.

/ Better parking brake warning needed. #59  
I received the motorcycle switch as well. The actual travel of the brake assembly when viewed from underneath the tractor is a fairly short throw. I think it would be possible to make the switch work under the tractor, but I decided to order another switch to mount on the top of the brake lever housing.

I also thought that I could just turn on the hazard flashers when I use the brake.

The travel is short and always connected to the brake lever by an extension spring so that the brakes light will turn on even when the brake lever throw is adjusted for very little free play...but not pull the switch apart when adjusted for longer throw. Usually the spring comes with the switch. Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 11.32.53 AM.png

rScotty

Last edited:
   / Better parking brake warning needed.
Another thought... I know danger Will Robinson!
The E brake works the meager anemic dash light. Can we not tap into that circuit with a bigger brighter LED warning light?