Best/reasonably priced grapple?

/ Best/reasonably priced grapple? #1  

sbronemann

Tractor
2014 Branson 4520C
Looking at buying a grapple for my 4520C. Will probably just run a longer hose to the rear remote rather than having a separate SCV added up front. Or....kind of looking at the Westendorf Brush Crusher. Anybody have any insight on the Westendorf?

/ Best/reasonably priced grapple? #2  
If it matches Westendorf standards it'll be great. I've never saw one. I'll hafta Google them. Post pics if you get one.

You're gonna really enjoy having a Grapple. Adds tremendously to the usefulness of a loader.

Welcome to TBN neighbor. I can see the Iowa border from my back deck. :)

/ Best/reasonably priced grapple?
I really like the idea of not having any hydraulics on the Westendorf.....with that being said though-you'd think they would be a bit cheaper. However....they definitely are about the same price as one with hydraulics.

/ Best/reasonably priced grapple? #4  
I can't tell, are they SSQA? It's really handy to be able to switch from the grapple to the forks or bucket.
I push or scoop up brush or tree parts with the long bottom tines of my EA grapple. For me just having two narrow sets of tines would be limiting.
The EA grapple is not cheap but it's well made.

/ Best/reasonably priced grapple? #5  
One thing to watch on the grapples is what is your primary use;
the ones with long bottom tines,
Titan Attachments 72" Rock Bucket Grapple Skeleton Loader w/ Teeth Skid Steer
similar to this make it hard to pick up logs or brush that you can not get the lower tines under,
you have to tilt way down and curl the tines under for the clamp to be able to get close to the ground and under a log.

6" V2 Root Grapple Rake Clamshell Attachment bucket skid steer rock bobcat
this style will grab a single log or brush you can't get under

Both styles have there places, I have the first and often I would rather have the second,
if I had the second I don't know how often I'd want the first.

/ Best/reasonably priced grapple?
They do make a universal skid-steer Brush Crusher. I priced one at my local JD dealer that sells Westendorf accessories as well and they quoted me at $1875 for it. That seems quite steep for an attachment with no hydraulics. Unfortunate!

/ Best/reasonably priced grapple? #7  
I think the long bottom tine type is the most versatile. It'll pick up logs, big wads of brush, or even 3' diameter rounds. Having to curl the grapple down so you can 'pinch' a log from both sides has not been a problem for me.

The other day I picked up two 3' 16" thick rounds of Madrone that were on their sides by lining them up and gripping them from above with the grapple curled down. It worked but my loader was not strong enough to curl them up. With the long tines and the way I picked them up they're farther from the pins. But the grip of the lids was strong enough to hold them. So I hauled them like that to by wood processing area.

I think the short tine root rake type which keeps the logs a little closer to the pins would have a bit more curl and lift capacity as a result. And it'd be better for raking.

/ Best/reasonably priced grapple? #8  
I'm in the same boat you are. Looking for a quality grapple, but don't necessarily require the best of the best. These guys seem to sell a quality American made grapple, grade 50 hardened steel (granted, its not AR450 like EA's wicked grapple series) but should hold up well to anything I'd be able to throw at it. This came in at about 33% less cost than the comparable EA grapple, but I suspect that it will hold up just as well for my purposes.

Brush Grapple Skid Steer Attachment | Thunderstruck Ag Equipment

/ Best/reasonably priced grapple? #9  
Wow those are heavy! 1200 lbs for a 66" That's going to take a lot out of the payload capacity.

One other advange to the root rake type grapple over the rake style is the jaws can open wider. However with my 2100lb loader capacity I can't pick up even a short log that's larger than the jaws on my wicked grapple will open.

/ Best/reasonably priced grapple? #10  
That one I was looking at is for a bigger tractor. My loader is rated for almost 4k lbs, and will actually lift a fair bit more. The link was mostly provided as a link to the company.