Beekeeping

/ Beekeeping
I probably need to do the same. I split mine too aggressively last year and ended up loosing several because of their populations being too low.

/ Beekeeping #42  
I probably need to do the same. I split mine too aggressively last year and ended up loosing several because of their populations being too low.
Also reading a new book on queen rearing. I have a couple standout colonies that I have had for years and years who have never been fed or treated and they fill the hive consistently. I'd love to make some queens with their DNA.

/ Beekeeping #43  
Getting into the shop today to finish repairs on a couple hives. I've got (5) empties ready to deploy. Seven swarm traps to hang, two 14 frame starter hives ready to go, and 35 more extra deep frames to assemble.
IMG_20240212_114433.jpg
IMG_20240212_114412.jpg

/ Beekeeping #44  
I just had an epiphany after looking at your photos!

Last year I was hit big time with wax moths. The destroyed 30 of my spare drawn out frames and filled them with nasty writhing larva and slik - it actually initiated my gag reflex trying to clean them up. I just tossed them they were so bad.

I see you store your frames in plastic bins. Love that idea. I was trying to seal up my supers and storing them that way but the moths found a way in. Currently they are being stored in heavy weight plastic trash bags but those are hard to completely seal and are prone to being ripped.

(I do freeze the frames for 10 days prior to storing them over the winter, and again prior to using them)

/ Beekeeping #46  
The gabled
IMG20240213122259.jpg
roofs on these hives are nice, but if the wind is just right, I've had them lift, open, and flip the hives. So, I'm retrofitting all of them with a latch. Especially since I'm starting to keep bees miles away.

/ Beekeeping #47  
I just had an epiphany after looking at your photos!

Last year I was hit big time with wax moths. The destroyed 30 of my spare drawn out frames and filled them with nasty writhing larva and slik - it actually initiated my gag reflex trying to clean them up. I just tossed them they were so bad.

I see you store your frames in plastic bins. Love that idea. I was trying to seal up my supers and storing them that way but the moths found a way in. Currently they are being stored in heavy weight plastic trash bags but those are hard to completely seal and are prone to being ripped.

(I do freeze the frames for 10 days prior to storing them over the winter, and again prior to using them)
Yes, we freeze for 48 hours min, then store in plastic tubs in the barn over winter. Works like a charm. Never had wax moth infest them.

The stuff on the stand was a little ring of waterproof grease to dissuade ants from crawling up on a couple colonies then they were weak

/ Beekeeping #48  
I also have 11 honey frames in one of those tubs to feed back this spring. Those were frozen, before storing.

/ Beekeeping #49  
Yes, we freeze for 48 hours min, then store in plastic tubs in the barn over winter. Works like a charm. Never had wax moth infest them.

The stuff on the stand was a little ring of waterproof grease to dissuade ants from crawling up on a couple colonies then they were weak
Good deal, thanks!

/ Beekeeping #50  
Finished up 30+ frames today, and fed back some crystalized honey that I diluted to syrup.

I'll wire the frames and prime with foundation next week.

Attachments

• IMG20240221155713.jpg
    IMG20240221155713.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 26