Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,282  
I agree. The hybrid approach is the best way to go until all the issues associated with a totally electric society are resolved.

I have driven a Prius since 2004, the latest one is a plug-in. I couldn’t agree more. While the EV range is only 30 miles or so, that covers the majority of my trips. Its ultimate unrefueled, un recharged range is over 600 miles.
But keep in mind that a hybrid, while efficient still gets all its energy from burning gas. It does convert kinetic energy to electricity instead of heat, so that it can be used (again), but ultimately it’s an ICE propelled vehicle.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,283  
I have driven a Prius since 2004, the latest one is a plug-in. I couldn’t agree more. While the EV range is only 30 miles or so, that covers the majority of my trips. Its ultimate unrefueled, un recharged range is over 600 miles.
But keep in mind that a hybrid, while efficient still gets all its energy from burning gas. It does convert kinetic energy to electricity instead of heat, so that it can be used (again), but ultimately it’s an ICE propelled vehicle.
Can you give your impressions of latest plug-in hybrid? What is your mpg on say an 80 mile trip if you know?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,284  
Can you give your impressions of latest plug-in hybrid? What is your mpg on say an 80 mile trip if you know?

My average MPG for the 35k that I’ve put on it is 148. That’s of course considering no fuel consumption in EV operation. I routinely get upwards of 60MPG in pure hybrid mode when the EV use is exhausted. It is all the same battery, EV mode is disabled at a certain point, allowing only hybrid operation.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,285  
I agree. The hybrid approach is the best way to go until all the issues associated with a totally electric society are resolved.

The hybrid approach is the best option for certain group of people. If you have an additional ICE and a way to charge at home the EV is certainly an option and probably the most convenient option.
If I lived in the city and had safe public transportation readily available I might not even own a car.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,286  
My average MPG for the 35k that I’ve put on it is 148. That’s of course considering no fuel consumption in EV operation. I routinely get upwards of 60MPG in pure hybrid mode when the EV use is exhausted. It is all the same battery, EV mode is disabled at a certain point, allowing only hybrid operation.

Your average is 148mpg, including the EV run time. That is amazing. Thanks!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,287  
Your average is 148mpg, including the EV run time. That is amazing. Thanks!
I had to think about that for a few , because it seemed to good.
Then I realized…being a plug in, totally depending how you drive it , you could be always be short tripping, and plugging in every day, basically never using the gasoline engine , thus the high mpg reading.

If you ran a gallon of gasoline plus the battery fully charged from an outlet, you’d get his 60 miles + 44 miles advertised by Toyota on a full EV mode giving 104 mpg.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,288  
Forgit to add. We have these neat things that help us cope. TVs, radios, and weather apps on our cell phones. When a weather event is coming, we fill up both vehicles and have 1000 miles of range. Even during outages that have lasted 4-7 days, we were able to find gas stations. Pity the poor EV user during a major outage.
Gee, I wonder if EV owners know of these, "tvs, radios, and weather apps"?

I've heard EVs can charge off portable gasoline powered gensets.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,289  
I'm so old I remember the ICE lovers hating on hybrids. Not so long ago, 20 years. Now hybrid is the salvation of ICE.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,290  
Well then by that logic my EV uses no fuel whatsoever!