Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,271  
TrackHawk owners report pretty consistent 11.6 second quarter mile times, so I don't think most stock MYP's are going to beat them in the quarter. They both report the same 3.5 second 0-60 times, with the YP likely being faster 0-30 and the TrackHawk faster everywhere else.

The 707hp sedan compliment to that Trackhawk runs consistent 10.8's in the quarter on drag radials, but the 3P will beat it 0-60 mph.

Not knocking either, they're all amazing cars... I wish I had all four!

That's where it gets to brass tacks .

If the Hellcat drivers lose traction, it is usually over before it starts.
Cold track or high altitude will also give the lower powered Tesla 3P an advantage. Same for the Mustang 500 GT
They get beat many times when they shouldn't, because they just can't get all of the power to the ground.

Leaked new Model 3 Ludacris specs.
617 HP which is ~125 more than the old performance model will likely be in the 2.-- second 0-60 MPH

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,272  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,273  

That is mind-boggling.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,274  
Charge every night (as us EV owners have been saying all along is The Right Thing To Do) and one is ready for the weather.

Pitty the poor ICE driver when weather hits the day before his weekly gas stop.
I use the EV method on my ICE vehicles. Rarely have less than 1/2 a tank of fuel without topping up. If I am down to 1/2 tank, I get over 200 mies on the F150.…oh wait…that is about the same as 80% EV range. And in a pinch, I have 10-20 gallons of fuel stored.

Forgit to add. We have these neat things that help us cope. TVs, radios, and weather apps on our cell phones. When a weather event is coming, we fill up both vehicles and have 1000 miles of range. Even during outages that have lasted 4-7 days, we were able to find gas stations. Pity the poor EV user during a major outage.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,276  
I agree with most of what you're saying, but at the same time, taking out power also shuts down our gas stations. Each time my area experiences a weather event that knocks out the power, the gas stations are also closed.
During hurricane Sandy, we were out of power for 7 days. One of our local gas stations had a diesel generator and was pumping during the entire blackout.

Maybe this isn't common, and we were just lucky, but I'm sure other gas stations would do this if outages were frequent enough. I imagine it's quite common in the gulf states and areas that get frequent storm damage.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,277  
Charge every night (as us EV owners have been saying all along is The Right Thing To Do) and one is ready for the weather.

Pity the poor ICE driver when weather hits the day before his weekly gas stop.
Another good example of why opinions from non EV owners (and some haters) can paint a untrue situation about EV's.
The convenience of charging at home cannot be stated any stronger.

bUt wUt aBoUt pOwEr oUtAgEs? If you keep your EV topped off every day (I don't) you will have at least 200-300 miles of range until the electricity comes back on. If your outage last more than a week you have bigger problems. But I do have a diesel truck so I'm not too worried. Probably a good idea for me to upgrade my fuel tank to a 60 gallon which would give me about 800 mile range.

When we had 15F weather and 12 inches of snow on the roads for 4 days in East Texas many gas pumps were either not operational or didn't have fuel since the fuel trucks couldn't deliver. I was able to get diesel easily at any station. Never lost power but the interstate was almost empty of vehicles.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,278  
During hurricane Sandy, we were out of power for 7 days. One of our local gas stations had a diesel generator and was pumping during the entire blackout.

Maybe this isn't common, and we were just lucky, but I'm sure other gas stations would do this if outages were frequent enough. I imagine it's quite common in the gulf states and areas that get frequent storm damage.

Why if someone I knew was contemplating buying an EV I would ask if that would be their only car or would they have another ICE. If I could ONLY have one car I would probably go with a plug in hybrid.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,279  
Another good example of why opinions from non EV owners (and some haters) can paint a untrue situation about EV's.
The convenience of charging at home cannot be stated any stronger.

bUt wUt aBoUt pOwEr oUtAgEs? If you keep your EV topped off every day (I don't) you will have at least 200-300 miles of range until the electricity comes back on. If your outage last more than a week you have bigger problems. But I do have a diesel truck so I'm not too worried. Probably a good idea for me to upgrade my fuel tank to a 60 gallon which would give me about 800 mile range.

When we had 15F weather and 12 inches of snow on the roads for 4 days in East Texas many gas pumps were either not operational or didn't have fuel since the fuel trucks couldn't deliver. I was able to get diesel easily at any station. Never lost power but the interstate was almost empty of vehicles.
Why if someone I knew was contemplating buying an EV I would ask if that would be their only car or would they have another ICE. If I could ONLY have one car I would probably go with a plug in hybrid.
I agree. The hybrid approach is the best way to go until all the issues associated with a totally electric society are resolved.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,280  

Pitty the poor ICE driver when weather hits the day before his weekly gas stop.
Most likely the ICE driver will top off right before the storm like everyone does and there will be lines but not as long of a wait that the apartment EV drivers have to wait for a charger to become available and then a longer while waiting to recharge. I'm sure the news media, that have turned on Musk, will all show the EV lines that move very slowly and have interviews with anxious EV owners right before the storm.