Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,251  
Teslas "air condition" their battery when parked. This is one reason Tesla advises to always plug-in when available.
If you are at work and no plug is available how many miles of range per hour does it take to keep the batteries cool below 95˚, or whatever the batteries maximum threshold temp is, If it is 105˚ outside?

Does "dog mode" keep the ac inside going? That would be a lifesaver if it can be the default for forgetful parents who leave their kids in the car but a killer if it runs out of juice or breaks if used just for that purpose.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,252  
While I agree with the concept of EV's in general, I can't help but feel we are rushing things without thinking the process through.

Assuming the grid is up to handling the added load, how are we going to deal with natural disasters when it could be down for a month or more? What would have happened during hurricane Katrina if there were no gas/diesel fire trucks, ambulances or publicly owned ICE vehicles? Fossil fuels can be trucked to wherever they are needed but you can't transport electricity without a grid.

Yes, there is natural gas, which can be piped in, but it is not universally available. That supply can also be disrupted by lack of power at pumping & regulation stations. Wind and solar sources are a possibility but they are also not available everywhere.

Will every household, firehouse, hospital and police station have to own & maintain a generator, wind turbine or solar panel array just in case? When there are no more gas stations, who will own & operate the fleet of tank trucks necessary to haul fuel to thousands of backup generators. For that matter, where will they fill these tankers?

When all our eggs are in the "electric basket", national security and terrorism become increasing threats. It won't take much to bring down a few key transmission lines and cause major blackouts.

With all the ingenuity and engineering ability we have in this country, I'm certain there are ways to deal with all of this but no one seems to be doing so. In our haste to go all electric, I don't think enough thought has been given to these issues.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,253  
While I agree with the concept of EV's in general, I can't help but feel we are rushing things without thinking the process through.

Assuming the grid is up to handling the added load, how are we going to deal with natural disasters when it could be down for a month or more? What would have happened during hurricane Katrina if there were no gas/diesel fire trucks, ambulances or publicly owned ICE vehicles? Fossil fuels can be trucked to wherever they are needed but you can't transport electricity without a grid.

Yes, there is natural gas, which can be piped in, but it is not universally available. That supply can also be disrupted by lack of power at pumping & regulation stations. Wind and solar sources are a possibility but they are also not available everywhere.

Will every household, firehouse, hospital and police station have to own & maintain a generator, wind turbine or solar panel array just in case? When there are no more gas stations, who will own & operate the fleet of tank trucks necessary to haul fuel to thousands of backup generators. For that matter, where will they fill these tankers?

When all our eggs are in the "electric basket", national security and terrorism become increasing threats. It won't take much to bring down a few key transmission lines and cause major blackouts.

With all the ingenuity and engineering ability we have in this country, I'm certain there are ways to deal with all of this but no one seems to be doing so. In our haste to go all electric, I don't think enough thought has been given to these issues.
You, Elon Musk and others of us are opposed to throwing tax payers money to bribe EV sales.

Our grid in many areas could use some government funding without question.

By 2050 developed countries may be ready infrastructure wise.

One reason Tesla has 50% of the USA market is they evolved over the past 2 decades learning from their mistakes before spending billions of dollars building factories spitting out half baked EVs that don't sell well.

As EVs become cheaper and more dependable than ICE over time people will act in their best interest.

Today the non gambling types in the USA are limited to Tesla options if they want an EV but between 2030 and 2040 EV options should be plentiful as they become cheaper than low end gas cars next decade.

We have a 2016 Nissan Leaf and a 2023 Tesla Model Y for daily drivers. The failure rate of EV makers will be high for years to come. China is looking at 50-75 EV makers going out of business.

On the plus side, many people own nice cars and they could go another 5-10 years without having to trade and consider an EV.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,254  
I agree with most of what you're saying, but at the same time, taking out power also shuts down our gas stations. Each time my area experiences a weather event that knocks out the power, the gas stations are also closed.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,255  

One of the best posts here for a while.

It is sad that those of us who do not hate EVs are labelled haters when we ask question like you pose. It is foolish to hate a technology when it is viable for many folks. It is just as foolish to applaud the ICE "death spiral" when it does not make sense. IMO, the source of most "hatred" wrt to EV's is how the government is screwing things up and wasting our money...at least it is for me.

Why would I care what someone else drives??? It is their choice.

I want to my choice as well. Some bureaucrats mandating no more ICE vehicles by 2030, 2035, or whatever the new date is, makes no sense. Thus the push back and "hatred".

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,256  

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,258  

Interesting short article also in that link

RCMP testing Tesla Model Y's for a year now.

British Columbia’s West Shore detachment and Ontario’s Rideau Hall Response Unit were pioneers in integrating these fully upfit mid-size SUVs into their daily operations, beginning in January 2023. These vehicles are part of the RCMP’s strategy to evaluate electric vehicles’ performance in real-world policing scenarios.

Corporal Didier Thibault, team lead of the Rideau Hall Response Team in Ottawa, said, “The Tesla seems to be very well liked by the officers,” he noted.

“It’s always the first car selected when members sign in. They even come in earlier to get the car.”

The ergonomic design of the Tesla Model Y has been a point of consideration, particularly for officers spending extended hours in the vehicle. “The ergonomics are better compared to our standard police vehicle, but for taller and larger members, there’s still not as much room as a larger SUV,” Thibault added.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,259  
I agree with most of what you're saying, but at the same time, taking out power also shuts down our gas stations. Each time my area experiences a weather event that knocks out the power, the gas stations are also closed.
That is true, but with ICE and with EV you can usually go down the road 50-100 miles or so and fill-up/charge up. Hopefully you topped off your vehicles before the event. The problems arise when the event is not predictable in advance (wildfire) or precautions, filling-up, are not or can not be taken.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,260  
Got to tweak the advertised range down a bit;

From many reports ... It is mainly the very heavy uberturbine wheels and the heavy rubber band 21" low profile tires.

Then again since M3P and MYP have beaten 707 HP Track Hawks drag racing that get 11-17 MPG is that really pretty decent as far as performance.

There are ways to increase the range of the MYP and that is to mount smaller lighter wheels and mount more efficient tires. I am going to do that myself. Good chance to get my performance model into the 4 miles per KWH area.
As an added bonus some other MYP owners that did this have dropped their 0-60 down to 3.45 seconds and the quarter mile in 11.65 seconds.
A Model 3 Performance owner has approached 5 miles per KWH (198 WH mile) and with the same car and set up run 0-60 in 3.06 seconds and the quarter in 11.24 seconds.

Two Birds, one stone.

Apparently Hankook knows how to make an efficient low rolling resistance tire, that also does a great job at a 1/4 mile track as well.

Attachments

• M3P  KwH mile.jpeg
    M3P KwH mile.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 19
Last edited: