Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,142  

Located between Russia and China.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,143  
Article this week ( link at bottom) on how FSD failed driving test badly !
" Tesla’s Full Self-Driving (FSD) feature failed to pass a DMV driving test in Santa Barbara, California administered by a professional driving instructor, reported the The Dawn Project.

While Tesla CEO, Elon Musk has claimed that Tesla FSD is four-times safer than a human driving by themselves, The Dawn Project has established that this is not the case.

The driving test took place in accordance with a standard California DMV driving test. During the test, Tesla’s FSD feature failed on four separate occasions, including almost colliding with a cyclist.

According to the professional driving instructor’s score card, the vehicle failed the driving test by “failing to finish centered in the proper lane”; making “needless stops”; failing to avoid “possible conflicts ahead by looking well in advance for problems”; and “failing to be aware of problems facing others and anticipating their next moves.”

During the test, the driving instructor also commented that if he had to teach in a FSD Tesla, “he would retire,” as well as frequently expressing his discomfort with the vehicle’s mistakes.

Upon completion of the driving test, the driving instructor further commented that the vehicle “failed the test miserably.”

Founder of The Dawn Project, Dan O’Dowd commented: “we mandate that drivers pass a standardized test to keep our roads safe. How can we possibly allow self-driving software that fails these minimum requirements to operate on public roads?” EV/AV Report: Electric vehicles get muscles; while Tesla fails driving tests

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,144  
I've read level 5 may be approved by 2035. So, in 11 years. Six years after that (because that is the age of the cars I buy) I'll be in the market. I'll be 64 and might be ready for that!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,145  
I've read level 5 may be approved by 2035. So, in 11 years. Six years after that (because that is the age of the cars I buy) I'll be in the market. I'll be 64 and might be ready for that!
2035 sounds reasonable based on my ownership experience.

I am still on version 11 and hope to experience version 12 by the end of 2024. Last Oct it got me from the hotel in Austin TX to my driveway in Kentucky with very few interventions. This is all I need today. Version 12 will AI based.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,147  
They do have their followers who stick with Subaru.
Me, I’d buy a Honda CRv AWD over a Subaru $ for $, and a bit better mpg.

We have a ski resort here and the Subarus really are like a cult following. Several hours skiing and sipping off a Bota bag they come down that mountain road like they were Grand slaloming in a race.
Article this week ( link at bottom) on how FSD failed driving test badly !
" Tesla’s Full Self-Driving (FSD) feature failed to pass a DMV driving test in Santa Barbara, California administered by a professional driving instructor, reported the The Dawn Project.

While Tesla CEO, Elon Musk has claimed that Tesla FSD is four-times safer than a human driving by themselves, The Dawn Project has established that this is not the case.

The driving test took place in accordance with a standard California DMV driving test. During the test, Tesla’s FSD feature failed on four separate occasions, including almost colliding with a cyclist.

According to the professional driving instructor’s score card, the vehicle failed the driving test by “failing to finish centered in the proper lane”; making “needless stops”; failing to avoid “possible conflicts ahead by looking well in advance for problems”; and “failing to be aware of problems facing others and anticipating their next moves.”

During the test, the driving instructor also commented that if he had to teach in a FSD Tesla, “he would retire,” as well as frequently expressing his discomfort with the vehicle’s mistakes.

Upon completion of the driving test, the driving instructor further commented that the vehicle “failed the test miserably.”

Founder of The Dawn Project, Dan O’Dowd commented: “we mandate that drivers pass a standardized test to keep our roads safe. How can we possibly allow self-driving software that fails these minimum requirements to operate on public roads?” EV/AV Report: Electric vehicles get muscles; while Tesla fails driving tests

I do not have the FSD on my Y and don't plan on it either.

But will make a comment or two.

Dan O'dowd is an owner of a self driving 'competitor company' to Tesla's system. He has a Very much vested interest in Tesla failing at FSD.
Maybe he should demonstrate his self driving systems prowess in the same test instead of only slamming Tesla's 'beta' version.

Second, that is not the newer version 12 AI end to end.

It is an earlier version of software.

Here is the actual test and I agree it failed.
I do not see how the Tesla system will ever rival a human without non vision sensors added. Fog, heavy rain, and snow covered camera lenses are not 'enough'.

and this tit for tat has been going on for a while

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,148  
I will be 85 in 2035 if I make that long.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,150  
But people are turning away from Teslas because of Musk too. So, if a car should be able to sell on its own merit, Tesla falls under that umbrella too. Musk shouldn't matter. Fact is people support what they value, and marketing of all types plays on this. Marketing is so good, that humans don't even know they are being sold, instead believing that they really did make the choice all on their own, which they didnt. The human brain is no match for AI and algorithms. The documentary The Social Dilemma is wild. If you interact with the internet, you are being changed. Your thinking, your world view, what you believe to be true... Because there is no reality anymore, it's perceived reality, and each person has it curated for them via AI. There are 300 million realities in the US alone. A human is a commodity. We are just not smart enough to realize it.

Third time I've seen this reported. Probably because AI knows how much time I spend reading these articles. So it finds more of it... That's the game.

Let me know when Tesla shares of the EV market puts them in 2nd place. Good luck