Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,911  
I have to do a lot standing when picking the wife at midnight. Last night was a case and point the medevac flight could not leave till she got all the paperwork done so she was late getting out. Nothing can be done about that.

The reason I bought the leaf in 2019 was because it has a heat pump system on it so I can stay cool or I can stay warm as long as I need to without running an engine and I despise especially in summer time to run an engine to run an air conditioning that creates a heat box.

The reality is that most people today 50 or older will die without ever on any EV because it does not make sense or even if they got a bank full of money. Just availability is going to be very tight for many years to come because about only 3% of the vehicles in the world today are EVs.

Growing up in the tobacco patch staring at the rear end of the mule did not make me all that liberal and green. 🙂

That heat pump is amazing tech when it is put in a car. That is a factor for me of which vehicle to chose when having to leave early and it is cold outside.
This morning it was 18F but just a few minutes after pushing a couple icons on the phone and the interior is comfortable. I think as you pointed out a nice feature to have when waiting in a vehicle

So far the model Y has only cost me a 1/4 of what the truck would have in fuel, but the buy in price and Insurance wipes out any short term savings.

Then again, having a brand new vehicle that handles and has 400+ horses and has its gas station at home is working out Fine so far.

Electric and ICE

Kind of a Yin Yang ...
in the world of vehicles.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,912  
Here's the thing with apartments and condos when it comes to charging EVs...

Who is ultimately going to pay for the service upgrades and charger installations???
...Do apartment landlords charge all renters? even though many may never own an EV...
Likewise with condo owners...

I wonder when we will see the first class action taken by renters demanding charging stations based on some discrimination bunk...?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,913  
One of the frustrations of cordless tools is the plethora of different ones produced to provide the same voltage. A Dewalt 18V is not compatible with a Makita or Milwaukee etc etc.

Lack of interchangeability is used to drive the sales of additional or replacement batteries.

Yet, "the industry" was smart enough to standardize on AAA, AA, C, D etc batteries for other uses.

EV's would eliminate a concern folks like me have about battery issues if they would "standardize" on a "footprint". I am thinking much like golf carts, but larger of course. Banks of standard size batteries that can be replaced without worrying about who will sill supply them. The same "footprint" can be used to produce a batteries with current technology as well as accommodate new battery technology as batteries improve. Want more power or range, add more batteries.

An added benefit to assured availability is reduced costs. Having one size allows increased competition and economies of scale.

Maybe it is a silly idea?
Never going to happen. I need you to be locked into buying my stuff and batteries cause i make more money that way.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,914  
My local auto parts store said in the 70s they only had to carry 4 different battery sizes. Now it's over 50? It seems designers don't think about leaving a space for the battery, and then make a new battery size to fit.

Edited to show all the sizes you really needed.

24F
27F

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,915  
My local auto parts store said in the 70s they only had to carry 4 different battery sizes. Now it's over 50? It seems designers don't think about leaving a space for the battery, and then make a new battery size to fit.
Yeah. There were few sizes, and just GOOD BETTER BEST was about all you had to think about.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,916  
I'm amused there's so much concern about apartment dwellers, on a tractor forum! Who lives in an apartment and owns a tractor? :unsure:

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,917  

Who is ultimately going to pay for the service upgrades and charger installations???
...Do apartment landlords charge all renters? even though many may never own an EV...

I wonder when we will see the first class action taken by renters demanding charging stations based on some discrimination bunk...?

Who gets charged for the new pool or gym or parking garage re-stripe for those inhabitants that don’t swim, workout or drive?

Some will say not fair.

I say not fair for having to pay for a public school system I don’t use. Nobody cares!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,918  
I foresee battery repair services becoming more commonplace down to the cell level.

The individual cells themselves are often not terribly custom. Just the ‘wrapper’ they are placed in (modules and packs) to fit the various vehicle models.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,919  
Oh no! Airplanes are going to start falling from the sky!

In the Great Scheme Of Things there is so little avgas being burned for 100LL to have any negative effect. And quite frankly that applies to diesel farm tractors as well. Both emissions are a significant distance from others where nature can dissipate.

There are a couple of replacements in the works and approved by FAA, but there is very limited production and high cost to deal with at the moment due to how new it is. If it works and if the same or less cost, I’m all for replacement.

Each plane make/model has to get approval to use the stuff and pay a fee for the log entries.

In the mean time airports (cali especially) are just outright banning 100LL and giving the GA owners that are either based there or visit the finger.

Of all the pollution to crack down on… the small 100LL consumption is the target…

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,920  

I suspect it will be a case of we ALL get to pay for it, as it's probably going to be another government "free" program to install these things everywhere similar to the wider scale public chargers that are allocated in that infrastructure bill.

Ultimately, we'll all going to foot the bill for these things whether we want it or not.