Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,901  
I think @shooterdon nailed it. We keep cars ~10 years, and their lifetime is generally 20 years, including secondary owners. But I'd guess the fraction of tractors still in operation after 20 years is near 100%, and it's pretty common to see them still in use at 50 years of age. The batteries will NEED to be non-proprietary common parts, so that owners can continue affordable replacements for many decades after purchase.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,902  
USA could produce all the lithium and cobalt we need, but is forbidden by government. Same with oil and natural gas.

So quit pretending there is a real shortage. The shortage is artificial, self-inflicted. China is not limited this way.
A self inflicted shortage in North America is still a shortage, and the fastest to market will be the " enemy" countries like China, Russia...or African or South American countries , all of which can get a mine up and running in 2 yrs or less by ignoring all safe or pollution mitigation processes.....meanwhile it takes at least 10 yrs to get one up and running in Canada and that is only if the Native tribes agree to it, and so far none of them want it . So yes a shortage . And recycling of batteries minerals is a labour intensive process that will also end up being shipping to third world countries like we see now for similar recycle product processes.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,903  
One of the frustrations of cordless tools is the plethora of different ones produced to provide the same voltage. A Dewalt 18V is not compatible with a Makita or Milwaukee etc etc.

Lack of interchangeability is used to drive the sales of additional or replacement batteries.

Yet, "the industry" was smart enough to standardize on AAA, AA, C, D etc batteries for other uses.

EV's would eliminate a concern folks like me have about battery issues if they would "standardize" on a "footprint". I am thinking much like golf carts, but larger of course. Banks of standard size batteries that can be replaced without worrying about who will sill supply them. The same "footprint" can be used to produce a batteries with current technology as well as accommodate new battery technology as batteries improve. Want more power or range, add more batteries.

An added benefit to assured availability is reduced costs. Having one size allows increased competition and economies of scale.

Maybe it is a silly idea?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,904  
There's a price in the standardization, in that it removes a lot of a manufacturer's ability to optimize the packaging for best center of gravity, packing density, safety, performance, etc. This matters much less in a tractor or pickup truck, versus a sporty P100D or i8.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,906  
The trend to move EV manufacturing out of China continues after years of the opposite.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,908  
One of the frustrations of cordless tools is the plethora of different ones produced to provide the same voltage. A Dewalt 18V is not compatible with a Makita or Milwaukee etc etc.

Lack of interchangeability is used to drive the sales of additional or replacement batteries.

Yet, "the industry" was smart enough to standardize on AAA, AA, C, D etc batteries for other uses.

EV's would eliminate a concern folks like me have about battery issues if they would "standardize" on a "footprint". I am thinking much like golf carts, but larger of course. Banks of standard size batteries that can be replaced without worrying about who will sill supply them. The same "footprint" can be used to produce a batteries with current technology as well as accommodate new battery technology as batteries improve. Want more power or range, add more batteries.

An added benefit to assured availability is reduced costs. Having one size allows increased competition and economies of scale.

Not a silly idea, but I think it's wishful thinking at present. I have similar thoughts.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,909  
Nope....as I was informed earlier in this thread, that's complete BS, because not everyone will need to charge every night...I guess everyone is just going to be driving $80K long range Teslas? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sarcasm aside, I genuinely am concerned what this may do to the cost of electric long term. Sure, we can all charge overnight right now when electric is relatively cheap for many on time of use plans, but then does this alter TOU hours/plans? Does it eliminate them altogether, making electric just as expensive at 4am at it is at 4pm? I _had_ a cheap TOU centered around overnight charging when I had that Volt, and it didn't take long for my electric company to cancel it due to high costs, along with the free charging that work offered. It quickly got to the point that running it on electric often cost more than running it on gas.

Sure, I can install solar and a battery bank to offset the charges, but that's not an insignificant cost either... The quotes I've gotten have been $30K+, and that's not a universal option for everyone.

There's already been some reports of people finding it more expensive to charge an EV than run a gas car due to significant hikes in electricity rates, largely in the eastern seaboard states.

Do we ultimately find 30 years down the road that it costs $20 every time we flick on a light switch?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,910  
Here is an article that may relieve the stress of some.

WHAT!! Eliminate diesel and seat time!
“You can't just have electrification because the value proposition just is not high enough. It has to be electrification and automation, and data insights all on top of each other.”