Barndominium/Shop or "real" House?

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #361  
400 Amp 3 phase 480 volt is a lot of power, even just looking at single phase 480 volt compared to 240 you'll only need 1/2 the current for the same wattage. So with 3 phase 480 on a 200 amp service you will have a lot of power. The power company may downsize your transformer depending upon the anticipated load.

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House?
400 Amp 3 phase 480 volt is a lot of power, even just looking at single phase 480 volt compared to 240 you'll only need 1/2 the current for the same wattage. So with 3 phase 480 on a 200 amp service you will have a lot of power. The power company may downsize your transformer depending upon the anticipated load.
The power company offers:

480/277 150A
480/277 400A
480/277 800A

I will see what the power company says, but I think my only choice would be 150A service, unless I want to rip out all the conduit, and tear out the fiberglass transformer base. Hoping 480/277V 150A would work with my conduit and transformer pad.

So P=V x I

Right now my MAX power is:

240V x 200A = 48,000W

I have 400A service but my sub panels are split 200A each, one for house, one for shop. (initial plan)

If I go with 480/277V 150A, max single phase power is:

277V x 150A = 41,550W

So pretty close I guess.

When I setup my meter pedestal initially, I fed two sub panels, each with a 200A breaker. I suppose if I build the barndo I can supply that structure with more than 200A? 400A breaker and not use the other sub panel?

240V x 320A (cont.) = 76,800W

480V x 150A = 72,000W

Last edited:
So regardless of what I build, I need to start working with a couple other utility companies, namely water and natural gas.

Both will require meter pits. For anyone with meter pits, is it best to place them in areas that are mowed on unmowed?

See pic below. I can choose fore or aft of the green line I drew in. Neither utility company seems to care. I think it might be better not to be driving over the manhole everytime I mow the lawn...

I don't think these will hold up well to being driven over: Meter Pit Enclosure

I also started to ditch for a drain tile as that area is routinely under water in the springtime, and I don't want my meter pit enclosures to always be full of water. The Highway dept has already complianed about a previous drian tile I connected to the front ditch, but the gov't can eff off tbh. I landscaped this area years ago and effectively dammed up the front of my property, so now the flow of water is more metered into the ditch as opposed to the high flow it was before due to the front of my lot being almost as low as the center of the ditch.

Meter-Pits.jpg

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #364  
So regardless of what I build, I need to start working with a couple other utility companies, namely water and natural gas.

Both will require meter pits. For anyone with meter pits, is it best to place them in areas that are mowed on unmowed?

See pic below. I can choose fore or aft of the green line I drew in. Neither utility company seems to care. I think it might be better not to be driving over the manhole everytime I mow the lawn...

I also started to ditch for a drain tile as that area is routinely under water in the springtime, and I don't want my meter pit enclosures to always be full of water. The Highway dept has already complianed about a previous drian tile I connected to the front ditch, but the gov't can eff off tbh. I landscaped this area years ago and effectively dammed up the front of my property, so now the flow of water is more metered into the ditch as opposed to the high flow it was before due to the front of my lot being almost as low as the center of the ditch.

View attachment 793245
Why do they go in a pit?

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #365  
Probably so they don't freeze.

My dad has one in a pit out by the road when I was a kid. Every month the reader had to pull the man-hole lid. Eventually, they put the meter in the house, and the display unit outside the house, so the meter reader didn't have to do the pit lid thing anymore.

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #366  

View attachment 793245
I'd not want to drive over a pit lid for meters just as I don't like driving over my drywall lid. I'd think a reasonable solution would be to put it at the edge of some landscaping so it blends in and doesn't require mowing around. Maybe some string trimmer attention every once in a while at most.

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #367  
Probably so they don't freeze.

My dad has one in a pit out by the road when I was a kid. Every month the reader had to pull the man-hole lid. Eventually, they put the meter in the house, and the display unit outside the house, so the meter reader didn't have to do the pit lid thing anymore.
don't know if you are answering me or not but I live in Minnesota, we have no pit for our natural gas or water.

Why do they go in a pit?

If a residence is more than 200ft from the road, the water & gas services require meter pits. The pits will only be about 50ft form the road, the rest of the ~650ft run will be my responsibility if a water or gas line develops a leak etc.

Last edited:
   / Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #369  
If a residence is more than 200ft from the road, the water & gas services require meter pits. The pits will only be about 50ft form the road, the rest of the ~650ft run wil be my responsibility if a water or gas line develops a leak etc.
Is that just in your state?

Is that just in your state?
Well every county/municipality is probably a bit different in a given state, but I think in most states there is a maximum distance where the utility company would want the meter from the road.