bar oil test

/ bar oil test #21  
I am sure it was 30w. the stuff would turn into crystal sparkley molasses below about 40 degrees, but nobody has winter blend 10w like now. the poulan pro was thinner at 0 than this stuff was at 40.
I mean which brand. They sell like 5 different brands too. Besides the weight differences.

/ bar oil test #23  
I mean which brand. They sell like 5 different brands too. Besides the weight differences.
I really don't remember. It has been too many years. But the stuff looked like the Stihl oil in the Project Farm test at the 10:45 mark when cooled to 10 degrees when it was poured from the jug It poured slowly and had a crystallized shimmer to the oil when poured, I probably replaced 50 oil pumps in poulan and Poulan Pro saws because of that stuff.

/ bar oil test #24  
Something I’ve been doing, not really to improve bar oil, but blending in maybe 20% 30 weight oil. I’m just trying to use up an old quart bottle and didn’t want to throw it out.

/ bar oil test
And I've got three or more partial gallons of petro based stihl oil. Ya, I'm going to use it up. :LOL:

/ bar oil test #26  
Most the time I like Project Farms tests, this time not so much. For example the scar test. Does that really apply to bar oil? It’s more useful on motor oil. The only test I see that really applies is the chain wear test. I realize he has to do some kind of testing and while interesting I’m not sure how useful other than the chain wear. I have a gallon jug of the Husky oil right now, I will probably switch away from it next time I buy.

Curious to see why you think the lubricity test isn't applicable to bar and chain oil as it is there to provide a barrier of lubrication between the bar and chain just as engine oil does for engine components. As he said multiple times in the video his cutting tests are subjective and the lubricity test (scar test) really was the most telling for me of the ability of each oil to resist wear, exactly what its intended to do.

As to the results, I was surprised to say the least, Ive used Husqvarna and Stihl oils for years. Looks like its time to switch.

/ bar oil test #27  
I don’t think it’s valid because a synthetic motor oil would probably perform the best in the scar test but would probably be to thin for bar oil.

/ bar oil test #28  
I don’t think it’s valid because a synthetic motor oil would probably perform the best in the scar test but would probably be to thin for bar oil.
Everything this guy tests comes from viewer suggestions. I suggest you that you send him a message suggesting he test synthetic motor oils against bar oils. Did I use the word "suggest" enough:)? Also, why would the tests not be valid because he didn't test a synthetic motor when you then say the oil would be too thin for bar oil?
You know, I have watched this guy for years, from when he first started posting these videos. His testing methods have gotten more and more scientific. He tries very hard to make the tests as fair as possible. As free from any type of bias as possible. He isn't sponsored, he spends his own money on what he buys. He appears to be truly earnest. If you have some constructive criticism or suggestions that would help him to improve you should contact him. He listens and will respond to you.
Eric

/ bar oil test #29  
I see 2 kinds of Stihl bar oils
Orange
Silver

/ bar oil test #30  
etpm, I agree, he is trying to find a way to test a bar oil as best as you can. I’m just not buying that all the tests are really telling us which bar oil is best, but I suspect it’s the best you can do in a limited time. I think the actually cutting tells the most, but one tank of fuel is limited. If he ran ten tanks of fuel for each oil that would tell us more but he’d be at it for a month.

How the oil flows? Is that valid? The oil is suppose to be tacky, but it also has to flow out of the tank onto the bar and chain to. Maybe a thicker oil is better? I don’t know any answers it just most of the time I feel his test methods are spot on. This time I’m not sure. I’ve only watched maybe 4 or 5 of his videos total.

For what it’s worth I’m not big into YouTube videos, if I see anything more than a minute or two or just don’t watch them. With Project Farm I watch them all the way.