Bar oil quality

/ Bar oil quality #11  
How much difference is there in the quality of bar oil?
i always use the manufactures oil … and summer oil during the summer and winter one for the winter … you could use regular oil like 10/30 but i wouldn’t recommend used oil since it’s viscosity is already depleted

/ Bar oil quality #12  
Back in there day (c. 1960) my father had a McCullough I-43 that had a hand (thumb pushbutton) oiler.
Back in 1980 I bought a Homelite Professional chainsaw that had the same type of thumb pushbutton oiler. Used to cut a lot of firewood - dry, dead juniper - with that saw every year, using only old motor oil. Worked just fine - but the trick was to have the automatic oiler (this saw has both) turned up all the way and then in addition keep pumping the manual oiler the whole time while cutting dry dead wood. Kept the chain well lubed and the bar cool. Still have that chainsaw but it is big and heavy so I use it only when I have big (24"+diameter logs to cut). I have other smaller, lighter chainsaws for most other cutting but they do not have the manual oiler so I use only dedicated bar oil in them.

/ Bar oil quality #13  
I use my used hydraulic oil from my kubota tractor and RTV , no problems past 4 years.

/ Bar oil quality #14  
The saw flow rate of bar oil is important.

If you will be cutting dirty wood fairly often, turn up the bar oil flow rate so dirt is more completely thrown off the chain with oil. Turning up the flow rate won't cost more than a few cents, relative to how quickly your chain will dull if dirt is carried around and around with a sparely lubed chain.

Instructions for turning of the bar oil flow rate are clear in Stihl operator's booklets.

/ Bar oil quality #15  
. . . If you will be cutting dirty wood fairly often, turn up the bar oil flow rate so dirt is more completely thrown off the chain with oil. . .

My understanding is that the factory set rate is such that, starting with a full tank of fuel and a full tank of bar oil, the saw will run out of fuel before it runs out of bar oil. If you adjust the rate, be mindful of how much oil may be in the tank; cutting without oil could be calamitous.

/ Bar oil quality
I was wonderi g if the Stihl was better than the loggers choice? I had a bud said they ran them side by side and big difference in wear.

/ Bar oil quality #17  
We use summer and winter oils by Stihl. I looked at the 20-30 stuff and thought it was to thick!
The stihl bar oil sure are sticky and they get quite thick when the temps go down. I swear the summer oil wouldn't flow below 30! So sticky strings of it would go over a foot long when poured in. As someone else stated, its formulated to do that. So when we are still working on trails in the fall and/or winter, we switch to the lighter stuff in blue jugs. Like I stated earlier, bar oil doesn't cost much when compared to chains and we only use 1.5 gallons per year.

Last edited:
   / Bar oil quality #18  
I really doubt that bar oil is nothing more than probably 30w lube base oil with nothing in it. It's almost exactly like the 30w oil that came off our dewaxing unit.

/ Bar oil quality #19  
I really doubt that bar oil is nothing more than probably 30w lube base oil with nothing in it. It's almost exactly like the 30w oil that came off our dewaxing unit.
The last jug of bar oil I bought is labeled 30W with an additive for better adherence.

/ Bar oil quality #20  

Proper bar oil has additives to make it tacky. You should notice it is very "stringy" when pouring. When you lift the bottle away from the saw it should pull some long strings and be a bit messy. Certain gearcase oils and machine oils will show similar tacky behavior. It helps the oil stick to surfaces.