ballast box for Deere 855 CUT

/ ballast box for Deere 855 CUT
Yep... just one pair.

Was going to pick up some concrete for the ballast box tomorrow, so now trying to figure out what kind of weight to fill it with. Manual calls for a 75% fill of CaCl2 with 400 lb. in the ballast box for ag tires, or 225 lb. in the box with turf tires, and three pairs of wheel weights in both cases.

Since I have turfs, that translates to roughly:

2 x 235 lb. CaCl2
6 x 60 lb. wheel weight
1 x 225 lb. ballast box
========
1055 lb. total

If I had ag's the recommendation is:

2 x 123 lb. CaCl2
6 x 60 lb. wheel weight
1 x 400 lb. ballast box
========
1006 lb. total

So, while the distribution is a bit different (box is not the same as having weight in or on the wheels), the numbers are pretty close. Given all the comments about the affect of filled tires on turf (Google it if you haven't heard), seems I might be best going 600+ lb. in the ballast box, and 360 lb. in wheel weights. Again, I know not quite as stable as filled tires, but likely good enough for 99% of my work?

Probably going to drive around a day or two with just bags of concrete setting in the box, but don't want to do that too long, lest I end up with cured bags of concrete in the box.

Interesting article from John Deere, discussining some of the disadvantages of filled tires: "stiffer ride / greatly reduced ride performance"...

Using liquid ballast in tires

/ ballast box for Deere 855 CUT #32  
Just try your box first, you actually may be surprised on just what weight in the ballast box does. If not stick your wheel weights on. Etc etc. I would start from easiest removable weight to hardest. Box, wheel weights, liquid in the tire.

Yep... that's the plan. Only question is... how much concrete to put in the box! I want to copy the above suggestion to sink some PVC tubes in concrete, as tool carriers. Manual calls for 250 lb. with filled turfs or 400 lb. with filled Ag's, in both cases assuming 3 pairs of wheel weights. On the ligher 655's, they call for as much as 575 lb.

My 3-point is rated at 841 lb. @ 24" behind link ends, or 1686 lb. at the link ends. I'm thinking of going somewhere around 500 lb. - 600 lb. with the concrete, and will likely do a little experimenting, but want to get a more experienced opinion on a target weight for that ballast box.

edit: user manual states numbers listed above. technical manual states Early models: 785 lb. / Late models (sn 180450-) 1005 lb., at 24" behind link arms. This information is odd, as mine is first year of production and carries sn 366633. So, does that make it a "late" model?

/ ballast box for Deere 855 CUT #34  
Yep... that's the plan. Only question is... how much concrete to put in the box! I want to copy the above suggestion to sink some PVC tubes in concrete, as tool carriers. Manual calls for 250 lb. with filled turfs or 400 lb. with filled Ag's, in both cases assuming 3 pairs of wheel weights. On the ligher 655's, they call for as much as 575 lb.

My 3-point is rated at 841 lb. @ 24" behind link ends, or 1686 lb. at the link ends. I'm thinking of going somewhere around 500 lb. - 600 lb. with the concrete, and will likely do a little experimenting, but want to get a more experienced opinion on a target weight for that ballast box.

edit: user manual states numbers listed above. technical manual states Early models: 785 lb. / Late models (sn 180450-) 1005 lb., at 24" behind link arms. This information is odd, as mine is first year of production and carries sn 366633. So, does that make it a "late" model?

Read this to determine the serial numbers for a given year (scroll to the bottom of the page):
TractorData.com John Deere 855 tractor information

I think you're on target with 500 lbs, plus the box itself. That will put you at about 650-700 lbs total.

I'm going to recommend you use sand for a year...it's easy to vary weight with sand. Concrete is permanent, of course. Maybe a couple, three hundred lbs of concrete and the rest sand. Couple of options there...

I like the idea of using sand. I guess I can always build the kid a sandbox when I'm done using it in the ballast box.

/ ballast box for Deere 855 CUT #36  
I like the idea of using sand. I guess I can always build the kid a sandbox when I'm done using it in the ballast box.

What's it's really handy for is shoveling a few scoops in slick areas or adding some traction if you get stuck.
BTW, speaking of getting stuck...the FEL works great for "walking" you out if stuck...you put that blade on the front, you lose that advantage.

Well, ignoring my own plan, I stopped at the hardware store tonight, bought 560 lb. of QuicKrete, and placed the bags in the ballast box. Found it was a little heavy with the loader, in that I could bounce the front tires almost off the ground when lowering the 3-point and stopping. Took one bag out (480 lb. + box), and she felt about right.

Then I remembered I didn't have the loader on the machine, and I should probably plan to recheck with the loader installed.

Any chance I'm going to ever want to use this ballast box without a heavy implement on the front? In other words... any reason to not go back to 560 lb. in the box?

I know the advice will be to pour on the lighter side, and plan to add a bag of sand or stone when I need a few extra pounds for heavy lift. Then I ask, how many of you take the time to stop and find extra ballast to load when you need to scoop something heavy?

/ ballast box for Deere 855 CUT #38  
Then I remembered I didn't have the loader on the machine, and I should probably plan to recheck with the loader installed.

Any chance I'm going to ever want to use this ballast box without a heavy implement on the front? In other words... any reason to not go back to 560 lb. in the box?

See how if feels with the 480# when the loader is installed. In fact and if at all possible, operate for a while with the cement in the bags to see if you need the 560#. If no problem with the 480# (plus ballast box weight), then leave it there. I do suggest you keep those bags of cement dry next week when that storm hits.

/ ballast box for Deere 855 CUT #39  
RoyJackson said:
Yeah...I like sand. Once it compacts from use, then add more sand, if desired.

How much do you figure your ballast box weighs with sand?

/ ballast box for Deere 855 CUT #40  
Ballast box part # BW15073, iMatch compatible:
Box is 88 pounds + sand = 616 pounds;
Box + concrete = 780 pounds;
Box + portland cement = 1,014 pounds.
If you add the extension add 8 pounds + 176 pounds for sand; 8 + 230 pounds for concrete; and 8 + 308 pounds for portland cement.
So, with concrete and no extension your ballast is 780 pounds. Concrete with the extension = 1,018 pounds.