ballast box for Deere 855 CUT

/ ballast box for Deere 855 CUT #11  
I would set the tires wide and go with a 500 to 600 lb boxblade and use the loader carefully. I would rather take smaller loads or bucket half full than ruin the nice lawn.

/ ballast box for Deere 855 CUT #12  
Yep... I've been using the loader a week or two without any ballast, and I do fine on moving firewood. Likely fine moving mulch as well, although I haven't tried it. It gets a little scary when moving gravel or topsoil, though.

I really want to avoid the whole hassle of dealing with filled tires. Other than cost, what's the down side of iron wheel weights?

Also, what about my (possibly stupid) question about the load the ballast box creates on the hydraulic system? Is there a point where more ballast box on the 3-pt. translates to reduced lifting capacity from the loader, due to the extra load on the hydraulic system?

The weight once lifted by the rear hitch requires no continuous demand on the hydraulic system. When the 3ph stops moving for all practical purposes the hydraulics are turned off.

I use iron weights and don't have or wan't liquid ballast which has a bad habit of leaking out.

/ ballast box for Deere 855 CUT #13  
...I really want to avoid the whole hassle of dealing with filled tires. Other than cost, what's the down side of iron wheel weights?...

While they sound great in theory, they are heavy and can be quite a pain in the rear to put on and take off. So much so, that once they're on, they rarely get taken off. So, in that regard they tend to be just as "permanent" as filling the tires.

/ ballast box for Deere 855 CUT #14  
Go with the ballast box and make it your tool carrier. Put the PVC pipes in it, make a slot for your chain saw, and when you pour concrete leave it below the top to put chains etc. first picture is someone's else's ballast box. The last 3 is mine filled with old wheel weights and plywood on top. I also got a box blade with added weight but the the ballast box is used way more

Attachments

• image-515836337.jpg
    image-515836337.jpg
    485.5 KB · Views: 1,359
  • image-167999642.jpg
    image-167999642.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 244
  • image-1738279502.jpg
    image-1738279502.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 229
  • image-85529511.jpg
    image-85529511.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 232
   / ballast box for Deere 855 CUT #15  
I picked up a JD ballast box off CL, added RR rail runners and a 2" receiver tube underneath. Filled to about 8" from the top with scrap iron & some lead, galvanized tray on top of fill, giving me a tool & chain storage. Tubes for long handled tools on one side & chainsaw sleeve on the other.

HPIM2246 (640x478).jpg

HPIM2242 (640x478).jpg

/ ballast box for Deere 855 CUT
Awesome idea, catdozer! That is exactly what I'll do, as the avaiable (from Deere) ballast box is MUCH bigger than the one originally spec'd for my tractor and loader. I'll fit it with some vertical PVC tubes for carrying rakes and shovels, and just fill it to a height = 400 - 500 lb., leaving the rest of the space available for carrying other tools, chains, etc.

Mechanos, I agree completely on not taking off wheel weights. Heck, I only have 50 lb. wheel weights on my garden tractor, and I never take those off, either. However, that very infrequent case, where you really want to remove them for one reason or another, it can be done.

That said, removal is not my primary reason for avoiding filled tires. The necessity to take them off the machine and cart them somewhere to get them filled, then get them back ON to the machine, and dealing with leaks, destroyed pressure gauges, stiff tires in cold weather, etc.... are all reasons to avoid liquid filled tires for a casual user like me. This is not a farm tractor... it's a lawn tractor on steroids.

grnspot110: why'd you put the tubes on the outside? Wouldn't be easier to cast them into the concrete? Good reason for doing so, or just a case of, "I never thought of that?"

Thanks, guys!

Last edited:
   / ballast box for Deere 855 CUT #17  
grnspot110: why'd you put the tubes on the outside? Wouldn't be easier to cast them into the concrete? Good reason for doing so, or just a case of, "I never thought of that?"

Thanks, guys!

Personally, I don't like the idea of concrete! I (or somebody else) might want to do something different in the future & concrete is relatively PERMANENT! Notice all my add-ons are bolted on, just for that reason. ~~ grnspot

/ ballast box for Deere 855 CUT
Nothing's so permanent that a torch and welder can't change it. Heck, it's only a $280 investment ($220, if you really shop around). You can spend more on a good dinner for the family, making it darn near disposable, in my book. Only trouble is, a broken 600 lb. box of concrete is harder to dispose of.

/ ballast box for Deere 855 CUT #19  
Personally, I don't like the idea of concrete! I (or somebody else) might want to do something different in the future & concrete is relatively PERMANENT! Notice all my add-ons are bolted on, just for that reason. ~~ grnspot

Yeah...I like sand. Once it compacts from use, then add more sand, if desired.

/ ballast box for Deere 855 CUT #20  
I also have a JD855 with a 52 FEL.
I have my turfs set wide. Filled with 22 1/2 gallon of anti freeze and ww fluid. (each holds 5 gal anti freeze 17+ of ww fluid that will stay liquid to -30 F)
Filling the tires only took $10.oo of equipment and 1/2 days time total. Cheapest alternative for my weather zone.

If I need more than that I put my 300lb cultivator on the 3pt hitch. It is about the same weight but a lot shorter than the 5' back blade. Unless I need the back blade also..............

Good luck