Backhoe Backhoe outrigger protection?

/ Backhoe outrigger protection? #21  
As I mentioned in post #16 I ordered a set of covers. They arrived today. I hope the measurements help. If more are needed, let me know.

I am thinking I might be able to modify a set of those to fit my L48

/ Backhoe outrigger protection? #22  
I am thinking I might be able to modify a set of those to fit my L48

I expect that the outrigger cylinders are the same size, or very close. The only thing you would need to make, or have made, is the mushroom shaped piece that's welded to the cylinder body.
When you get back to MA, let me know and we can compare the cylinder sizes.

/ Backhoe outrigger protection?
As I mentioned in post #16 I ordered a set of covers. They arrived today. I hope the measurements help. If more are needed, let me know.

That’s great. Thanks for taking the pics for us. Could you show them mounted when you get them on? Thanks!

/ Backhoe outrigger protection? #24  
That’s great. Thanks for taking the pics for us. Could you show them mounted when you get them on? Thanks!

Sure, I can do that.
As you can see, they came unpainted. Fortunately it was pretty warm today, so I was able to paint. I should be installing them some time tomorrow.

/ Backhoe outrigger protection? #25  
I expect that the outrigger cylinders are the same size, or very close. The only thing you would need to make, or have made, is the mushroom shaped piece that's welded to the cylinder body.
When you get back to MA, let me know and we can compare the cylinder sizes.

Thank you!
Still too cold up there in Ma.
Late April or early May for me.
May need to drive (I hate the idea - 1450 mi) rather than subject this old body to my usual airline ride, now with CV-19 potential.

/ Backhoe outrigger protection? #26  
Thank you!
Still too cold up there in Ma.
Late April or early May for me.
May need to drive (I hate the idea - 1450 mi) rather than subject this old body to my usual airline ride, now with CV-19 potential.

I think you're being smart.
No crowds around here, even church is down to about 20 people.

BTW I'm taking a trip to Denton. My friend's cousin wants a grapple.

/ Backhoe outrigger protection? #27  

If you are willing, please do report on your experience with the folks in Denton.
They come across as great people, and their reviews indicate the same.
I am planning to buy their 60" E-Series root rake for my L48.
If you see one there, I would appreciate your opinion.

/ Backhoe outrigger protection? #28  

If you are willing, please report on your experience with the folks in Denton.

I am planning to order their #1 E-Series (60") root rake for my L48.
They apparently keep most all models in stock, since they are a manufacturer.

I have spoken with Connie.

/ Backhoe outrigger protection? #29  
If you are willing, please report on your experience with the folks in Denton.

I am planning to order their #1 E-Series (60") root rake for my L48.
They apparently keep most all models in stock, since they are a manufacturer.

I have spoken with Connie.

Nice people. I've been there about ten times and never had a problem with their staff.

I had a 66 inch E grapple. They need some re-engineering. The pivot design is poor IMHO and loosens up quickly. (eggs out).
It is quite a bit cheeper than the HD and cost cuts need to come from somewhere.
Unless you really don't like the heavy duty model, I would upgrade to it.
I don't think the additional weight will be a problem on your machine.
I do understand that you have an unusual task to preform and the tine design may ***** the poor pivot design.

BTW here are the measurements for the "mushroom" that needs to be attached to your outrigger cylinders.
Please forgive my drawing skills. My one and only class was in 1968.:laughing:

Attachments

• 100_1633.jpg
    100_1633.jpg
    937.3 KB · Views: 63
   / Backhoe outrigger protection? #30  
Nice people. I've been there about ten times and never had a problem with their staff.

I had a 66 inch E grapple. They need some re-engineering. The pivot design is poor IMHO and loosens up quickly. (eggs out).
It is quite a bit cheeper than the HD and cost cuts need to come from somewhere.
Unless you really don't like the heavy duty model, I would upgrade to it.
I don't think the additional weight will be a problem on your machine.
I do understand that you have an unusual task to preform and the tine design may ***** the poor pivot design.

BTW here are the measurements for the "mushroom" that needs to be attached to your outrigger cylinders.
Please forgive my drawing skills. My one and only class was in 1968.:laughing:

The "eggs out" issue that you mention, has been a concern of mine when perusing their design.
There obviously is no provision for greasing, but I believe I may be able to remedy that.
I think I can bore a small hole down through the center of each pivot bolt head, drill a small cross hole in the bolt, and install a zerk fitting in the bolt head, thus allowing that bolt to pivot on a greased surface.
The other thought I have is, before using, bore the pivot bolt hole out larger, and install a bronze (or steel?) bushing.
When/if the bushing wears, just push it out, and install a new one.
I am leaning toward the bushing idea.

The weight difference between the 60" #1 & #2 units is approximately 300 pounds.
I really do not want to deal with that extra weight.
If I have something really nasty/heavy to grab, My hoe is very powerful, so I can use the hoe with thumb instead, and not put unnecessary stress on my loader frame.

I have zero rocks, and really only do need a light duty grapple.
On recommendation from here on TBN, I will also modify the top clam with 2 inside corner angle welded pieces of 3/8 flat plate, to prevent racking/twisting of the grapple top.

I can outdo you by about 7 years.
My last college engineering design/drafting class was in 1961, and I was employed in a completely different field!

Last edited: