B7100 with deck or 7+ year old zero turn?

/ B7100 with deck or 7+ year old zero turn? #1  

aussieahoy

Tractor
None
Hi all, so with our lawnmower deciding to give up the ghost and no longer run I'm in the market for a newish machine. The issue is, in summer (which is now) our property gets extremely wet, to the point our old lawnmower was sliding sideways and stuck constantly (even with difflock). Due to this I was considering a small 4wd subcompact like the Kubota. But after renting a zero-turn I fell in absolute love with the maneuverability of it, but I'm limited to a certain budget.

The pros of the Kubota are
Diesel, so way more powerful than the single cylinder Kawasaki
4wd so can actually use in wet season
60 inch massive deck
Very simple to repair
Usable for other tasks

Cons:
Very heavy
not that maneuverable
Has blowby
High hours

The zero turns
More maneuverable
Smaller and lighter
Potentially cuts better

Cons:
38-42 inch deck at most, which is somewhat small for my needs
Can't be used in wet and struggles in the ruts ect, both of which we have alot of
Engine bogs down alot, atleast on the one we rented. which was more powerful than the consumer grade ones
Only usable for mowing
Admittedly does tare up grass
Personal anecdote, but the Kawasaki engines aswell as Kohler are 50/50 in my experience
All have high ish hours, nearing 500 for most, especially when the projected lift is only 1000 hours for them

So overall, what do you guys think is better? I'm leaning more towards the Kubota, however I would definitely don't want to rebuild nor do I want to deal with the whole 20 point turn around a flowerpot again. But the zero turns lack of HP and issue of only being usable in the dry deters me.
(Both are nearly identical in price)

/ B7100 with deck or 7+ year old zero turn? #2  
There's better ZT mowers out there .. and better engines. Kohler command pro or new 7000 series engines will last way longer than what you are looking at.
Plus 60" decks are quite common on ZT at least around here..
If you're tearing up grass when turning around you need more practice

More budget 🙂

Last edited:
   / B7100 with deck or 7+ year old zero turn? #3  
If you want a lawn mower, get a zero turn.

/ B7100 with deck or 7+ year old zero turn?
There's better ZT mowers out there .. and better engines. Kohler command pro or new 7000 series engines will last way longer than what you are looking at.
Plus 60" decks are quite common on ZT at least around here..
If you're tearing up grass when turning around you need more practice

More budget 🙂
I wish I had more budget lol, but after spending 7.5k (aud) on a new mower just this year (yeahhh cub cadet reliability lol), I really can't afford more, especially with this Christmas approaching.

As for us, well our only 60 inch decks here are around 8-9K (aud) with most of the nicer ones going for about 10ish, and well at that point I'll just buy a way cheaper conventional lol. But thankyou for the advice regardless

/ B7100 with deck or 7+ year old zero turn? #5  
If I'm cutting wet grass, I use a flail mower. NO DECK MOWER will cut wet grass well unless you stop and clean it out every 5-10 minutes. As soon as a little wet grass gets stuck under the deck, the air current drops, you lose blade "suction" and the ability to throw the grass out from under the deck. Don't have a tractor to run a flail mower? Don't cut wet grass.

/ B7100 with deck or 7+ year old zero turn? #6  
Well it's a fair point, cause you're comparing what sounds like a home owner based ZT against a scut with a Diesel engine... Isn't a fair comparison..
Besides the fact ZT with 60" decks need at least 30hp or larger engines to mow effectively..

/ B7100 with deck or 7+ year old zero turn? #7  
If I'm cutting wet grass, I use a flail mower. NO DECK MOWER will cut wet grass well unless you stop and clean it out every 5-10 minutes. As soon as a little wet grass gets stuck under the deck, the air current drops, you lose blade "suction" and the ability to throw the grass out from under the deck. Don't have a tractor to run a flail mower? Don't cut wet grass.
Disagree with the wet grass... Cut plenty of wet grass with my ZT..
Now if you're trying to cut overgrown wet grass now that's a different story. I can still mow it.. just have to clean up behind.
Kick deck up a notch or two and spread the clumps out.. still probably faster than a tractor could mow the entire yard.. let's say 2-3 acre size.

Haha I wish that was an option, general thing here is that you have to do it minimum twice a week in the wet season, before it becomes too hard to mow. I can do once a week but it's generally alot more annoying. If it's dry normally you can stretch to 2 weeks, bur with the rain it's atleast once. I hate mowing in wet but its either that or risk snakes and 5x as long doing it when it's dry

Well it's a fair point, cause you're comparing what sounds like a home owner based ZT against a scut with a Diesel engine... Isn't a fair comparison..
Besides the fact ZT with 60" decks need at least 30hp or larger engines to mow effectively..
Yeah, personally I'd love to afford a larger commercial zero turn, but at that point it's a question of worth lol. As for the 60" definitely. Our hire was I think 57" and it struggled with 22hp, ie I had to be real slow when mowing over somewhat thicker patches.

Now imagine that in the wet with longer grass...

/ B7100 with deck or 7+ year old zero turn? #10  
Will you use the tractor for other jobs besides mowing that a zero turn will not do?
That to me that is a factor in deciding what tool to use for the job.