B2650 Roof Blew OFF

/ B2650 Roof Blew OFF #24  
Here is the skinny and the fix as well (so long as the roof is not trashed that is)...

I trailer mine M9000 cab unit at highway speed here which is 65-70 mph and never had issue one but it's always securely screwed down too.

Problem with OEM Kubota roofs is Kubota sets the Riv Nutserts in the roof panels with no backer washers except for the front 2 which actually have aluminum inserts between the Rivnuts and the blow molded 2 piece roof itself and the blow molded roof, if the mounting screws are at all loose cannot hold the screws in place and will fail.

I'd say the previous owner either never tightened the mounting screws down or the Rivnuts were spinning in the roof panel and at that point you cannot tighten them down anyway.

It's fixable, I fixed mine a few years back. I removed all the OEM Rivnuts and replaced them with new Rivnuts with metal backing washers to spread out the load and I 'glassed' all of them with fiberglass resin and fiberglass mat to strengthen and further secure the replacement Rivnuts.

HF (of all places) sells a dandy Rivnut insertion tool that comes with an assortment of Rivnuts, both Metric threaded and SAE threaded and Amazon offers Rivnut replenishment kits as well. I replaced all of mine with new (metric ones) and like I said, I 'glassed them in to further strengthen and lock them in place with the exception of the 2 front ones that is. The HF Rivnut tool is a 'Doyle' and I believe it costs 50 bucks and I use mine for many applications besides the roof.

Got a ton of pictures but here are a few so you can get the general idea. I also applied strips of Foil-Foil Reflectix to let the AC unit cool the cab better as the sun beating on the roof, really causes the ac to labor...

I have lots more. You can private message me as I don't want to load up server space here.

Attachments

• 100_0002 (1).JPG
    100_0002 (1).JPG
    914.9 KB · Views: 291
  • 100_0001 (1).JPG
    100_0001 (1).JPG
    1 MB · Views: 292
  • 100_0004 (1).JPG
    100_0004 (1).JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 278
  • 100_0003 (1).JPG
    100_0003 (1).JPG
    818.3 KB · Views: 275
  • 100_0006 (1).JPG
    100_0006 (1).JPG
    948.5 KB · Views: 290
   / B2650 Roof Blew OFF #25  
I should add that my roof gets removed every fall and the entire climate control parts (evaporators, heater core, blower motor and squirrel cage get cleaned as well as the condensate drain tubes which terminate under the engine, in front of the cab, plus I replace the air filter that allows fresh air into the system (when not on recirc) and I always use a genuine Kubota filter, never aftermarket because the filter has to fit exactly in the cutout or it don't work and allows dust and junk into the system and clogs the heat exchangers that much faster..

Finally, I also replace the perimeter foam gasket (see pictures) because mine was coming apart and that gasket seals the roof to the upper ROPS frame and has to be tight at all times and I installed full port WOG valves in the engine to cab hot water lines as the heater control valve that Kubota uses, will always leak some hot coolant and the Kubota AC system is already maxed out so additional hot coolant when it's hot out only degrades the ac system even more. The OEM surround foam gasket is about 100 bucks at your dealer but it is special order.

• Good Post
Reactions: bgr
   / B2650 Roof Blew OFF #26  
Since it's an open station,shouldn't we be discussing "canopy blew off"?

Do you guys really think a ‘cab’ tractor lost the roof??

I have seen canopies flopping while towed several times.
I always strap my canopy down to keep it from being ripped off.
Come on guys!!

1690810467828.jpeg

/ B2650 Roof Blew OFF #27  

Come on guys!!

View attachment 813684
See above. Even my Caterpillar wheel loader has a plastic cap on the top of the steel cab.

/ B2650 Roof Blew OFF #28  

Come on guys!!

View attachment 813684
Interesting and poorly informed comment. The roof on a Kubota cab model certainly could fly off at highway speed if the securing fasteners were loose or the Rivnuts in the roof section failed.

Far as canopy's are concerned, I can trailer my open station with the 'Tuff Top' canopy at highway speed with no issue because the Tuff Top canopy easily folds down and lays against the ROPS. Only take a minute to fold and 2 knobs.

/ B2650 Roof Blew OFF #29  
Hey, I purchased a B2650 and while I was towing it home the cab roof blew off on the highway. Luckily the roof never hit another car or caused an accident. While loading the tractor and attachments onto the trailer and truck I never thought that I should have strapped my roof down to keep it from blowing off. The wind must have caught the roof and ripped all ten of the nutserts out of the plastic roof. I priced a new roof, and it is around $1,500 Canadian, I think I can fix it though. Has anyone else heard of this happening, the dealers I spoke to have not and I have never noticed tractors being towed on the highway with their cabs strapped down.
Get some fender washers and fix it.