@#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting....

/ @#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting.... #51  
So on your E180, pull the terminal block off both the PTO and key switches and look for a burned / broken / corroded terminal. Come across this reasonably often. You can fiddle with the individual wires behind the block while attempting to crank w/ the park brake set. The seat is not in the crank circuit BTW.

/ @#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting....
So on your E180, pull the terminal block off both the PTO and key switches and look for a burned / broken / corroded terminal. Come across this reasonably often. You can fiddle with the individual wires behind the block while attempting to crank w/ the park brake set. The seat is not in the crank circuit BTW.
Yeah.... Thougt about cleaning and apply a bit of dielectric grease to all the connectors to prevent the corrosion problems.... As for seat switch good to know... Guess I really need to get teh technical manual for the E180...

Last edited:
   / @#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting.... #53  
Yea, and the next mower you get make sure it has a Kawasaki engine.

Will Kawasaki engine run if there is no fuel in the carburetor?

/ @#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting.... #54  
Small gas engines have their own special way of either being very useful or really really aggravating.
That is the truth from somebody that has worked on them for a living for the past 25 years,

/ @#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting.... #55  
That is the truth from somebody that has worked on them for a living for the past 25 years,
And a quick search of "@#$%&*" in the Equipment Description field confirms that!

/ @#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting.... #56  
Small gas engines have their own special way of either being very useful or really really aggravating.
Yup and like females,the smaller they are the more treacherous. Dozers are easy compared to string trimmers.

/ @#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting.... #58  
On pull start engines anyone use a ratchet adapter and socket to attach to a drill to start an engine after it sits for a while? I thought of this many times but hesitate to use one if the engine starting at a high speed would somehow reverse the ratchet with centrifugal motion and jam my wrist. I'd rather have 2 one-way bearing models, but I don't have them (if they exist)
Ratchet Adapter.jpg
Drill Adapter.jpg

Last edited:
   / @#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting.... #59  
I don't believe that would be good. My neighbor builds racing go cart motors and uses this battery,starter,solenoid all in one device. All you would need is the end piece that only turns in one direction.
2023_02_06_14.47.04.jpg

/ @#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting....
On pull start engines anyone use a ratchet adapter and socket to attach to a drill to start an engine after it sits for a while? I thought of this many times but hesitate to use one if the engine starting at a high speed would somehow reverse the ratchet with centrifugal motion and jam my wrist. I'd rather have two one way bearing models, but I don't have them (if they exist)
View attachment 782699View attachment 782700
The one I expirmented with just unscrewed the nut that holds the flywheel on.... And yes I was spinning in correct direction to start/run....