@#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting....

/ @#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting....
New fuel line on order.... Funny I could get 10 foot section of line with two filters and 20 hose clamps and with shipping was less than half the price of local auto parts.... Probably know early next week if it is the "fix"...

/ @#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting.... #62  
New fuel line on order.... Funny I could get 10 foot section of line with two filters and 20 hose clamps and with shipping was less than half the price of local auto parts.... Probably know early next week if it is the "fix"...
If that's the fix you can make some quick profit with all that extra hose and clamps.

/ @#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting.... #63  
Don't look at the price of submersible fuel line. Most people don't know that the outer covering on fuel line is not gas proof, and will actually swell and come lose. So the special fuel line what is used to go from the fuel pump to the top of fuel tanks on vehicles is pricey.

/ @#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting.... #64  
Ditto for stainless steel. 🥴

Don't look at the price of submersible fuel line. Most people don't know that the outer covering on fuel line is not gas proof, and will actually swell and come lose. So the special fuel line what is used to go from the fuel pump to the top of fuel tanks on vehicles is pricey.
NOt replacing that because I don't think I can get the suction tube out of this early model tank, parts graphics shows it being held in by a grommet, but I am not seeing it....But good to know.., Anyway its almost 6 feet of hose to get from tank to fuel filter and almost another foot from filter to pump.....

/ @#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting.... #66  
NOt replacing that because I don't think I can get the suction tube out of this early model tank, parts graphics shows it being held in by a grommet, but I am not seeing it....But good to know.., Anyway its almost 6 feet of hose to get from tank to fuel filter and almost another foot from filter to pump.....
Your suction tube in the tank is most likely a hard black plastic that is shrink molded to the elbow fitting. That rubber grommet will pull out with a little wiggling, and most likely the grommet will tear. It may tear anyway while you are trying to get the fuel line off of the tank fitting. Oregon part number is 07-392 but there are other brands plus OEM. Looks like a mushroom with a hole in the center.

The submersible fuel line is used on in tank fuel pump ie EFI engines mostly cars and trucks. Most mowers except for a few have external mounted high pressure pumps. the submersible line used in auto tanks is $36/ft.

Your suction tube in the tank is most likely a hard black plastic that is shrink molded to the elbow fitting. That rubber grommet will pull out with a little wiggling, and most likely the grommet will tear. It may tear anyway while you are trying to get the fuel line off of the tank fitting. Oregon part number is 07-392 but there are other brands plus OEM. Looks like a mushroom with a hole in the center.

The submersible fuel line is used on in tank fuel pump ie EFI engines mostly cars and trucks. Most mowers except for a few have external mounted high pressure pumps. the submersible line used in auto tanks is $36/ft.
Visual inspection show there is no rubber grommet in tank unless its flush with top of tank and same color as poly tank.... And if I have to pull the suction tube it probably means I have to remove the whole back deck assembly, AAARG and I dont what to have to do that.... More investigation later as I change external fuel lines....

BUT there is alternatives if necessary!!!

Last edited:
   / @#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting.... #68  
Visual inspection show there is no rubber grommet in tank unless its flush with top of tank and same color as poly tank.... And if I have to pull the suction tube it probably means I have to remove the whole back deck assembly, AAARG and I dont what to have to do that.... More investigation later as I change external fuel lines....

BUT there is alternatives if necessary!!!

Deere calls it grommet M132706 It is to the left of the filler on the left tank in the youtube thumbnail and to the right and on the side of the tank on the right.

/ @#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting.... #69  
Yep, there's a grommet. Common to find if you need one as it's the same as many others. It isn't a bad idea to inspect the pickup tube and clean the tank, but you haven't had any other runability issues like fuel starvation at low fuel levels, intermittent supply issues or the such have you? FWIW, you don't have to pull the tower and body off this if you don't want to to do it. A 5/16" dowel or stud holds the new and old line together to feed it through and keep the new line clean. Then give the end a quick nip before you slide it on the tube. You can just pull the two body bolts and lift it from the back for more clearance. Take care of the fuel tank though because new ones are crazy priced.

Only real problem has really been getting fuel to dry carb bowl after machine sets for a while.... That is why thinking bad fuel line (pin hole air leak) so pump has trouble creating enough vacuum to draw fuel...Runs great once started.....

See tank in video, at about 3 minute mark there is old tank without a grommet, just like mine....

New JD tank replacement kit $249...
Aftermarket fake tank kit (probably Chinese) $125...

Last edited: