B Boss 6x6 plow setup

/ B Boss 6x6 plow setup
Great idea, why not use a roller from a boat trailer? These strap setups are commonly used on winch systems on a boat trailer.

Hummmm that's an interesting idea, but how stiff are they?? Or what material are thy made from? I'll google it shortly. This guide roller needs to be quite firm, not rubber.

Last edited:
   / B Boss 6x6 plow setup #22  
Hummmm that's an interesting idea, but how stiff are they?? Or what material are thy made from? I'll google it shortly. This guide roller need to be quite firm, not rubber.

They are made from a very hard rubber, they withstand a lot of abuse. I think the strap would be less apt to slide as it does on the smooth aluminum.

/ B Boss 6x6 plow setup #23  
This is the strap sheave but it does not work, since the strap rolls out of it asap. Seems like the hook needs to be welded on making it a solid attachment. Maybe turn the sheave more making its flanges taller. What do you think?

Hi Arlya, looks like a nice set up you have there.

I helped my neighbor that has a big heavy plow on their Cam-am Commander UTV 4x4, and they were breaking their winch cable all of the time because of the almost horizontal pull to raise the blade.

I fabricated a 1/4" plate and install it on their front of their two push bars with four 1/4" "U" bolts.

And then I built a "jib" truss like extension out of 3/8" x 1-1/2" FB that bolted to the plate.

I had and used a 1/2" x 6" long eye bolt that I bolted to the to the end of the jib with the eye hanging down.

I had a 2" Harbor Freight pulley that I removed the hook off of and slid and bolted over the eye bolt, and ran their winch cable through the pulley and down to their blade.

This has solved their problem and they are very happy with the results.

Way long start:

But looking at your pulley with the hook attached to your plate (I believe this is rolling on you and causing your problems?), if it were me, I would just remove the hook and install a short length of chain with screw links top/bottom to see if this solves your problem.

Also having a few extra links of chain will give you adjustment of your pulley vertically.

I try to adjust for problems using the K.I.S.S. method.

I hope this help you.

KC

/ B Boss 6x6 plow setup
Thanks for the suggestions KC. Could you post a photo of this lift setup that you built? Late this week, hopefully we'll get back into the shop and we plan to turn the sheave down so its diameter is less at its center, like its bowl shaped. I'm a strong believer in the KISS system as well :thumbsup:

/ B Boss 6x6 plow setup #25  
Thanks for the suggestions KC. Could you post a photo of this lift setup that you built? Late this week, hopefully we'll get back into the shop and we plan to turn the sheave down so its diameter is less at its center, like its bowl shaped. I'm a strong believer in the KISS system as well :thumbsup:

Sorry it took so long to reply, but I had to go take some pictures to post here.

You might be thinking of this already, but if it were me I'd try the chain first before turning down your pulley drum.

Taking these pictures jogged my memory a little, the first jib extension I built for this Cam-am did not have the diagonal piece welded in to form a triangle reinforcement.

My neighbor has finger/hand issues that does not allow for quick action to the winch toggle switch, therefore the first jib extension piece came back to me looking like a fishing pole does when it has a lunker of a fish on, and the 1/2" eye bolt was reshaped like a crescent moon.

So I fabricated a new jib with the gusset welded in, and straightened out the eye bolt.

This neighbor has since changed out his cable to a Cam-am approved winch rope and complained that his rope is fraying, and upon looking at the system again I have told him he needed a rescue type rope pulley ($10-20) for the rope (still has the Harbor Freight pulley that's too narrow for the rope).

From the start, I intended to fabricate a modification in such a way that he was able to see the cable from the drivers seat, and I told him to tag the cable (red material tied around the rope) so he'd see when the blade was raised to almost maximum height and not any further (with the new truss extension I believe his weak link is now his winch rope).

I know you'd fix your problem and glad to offer some information here.

B.T.W. I really like those tri-tracks you have.

KC

20191230_160221_resized.jpg 20191230_160234_resized.jpg 20191230_160239_resized.jpg 20191230_160243_resized.jpg

/ B Boss 6x6 plow setup #26  
Sorry it took so long to reply, but I had to go take some pictures to post here.

You might be thinking of this already, but if it were me I'd try the chain first before turning down your pulley drum.

Taking these pictures jogged my memory a little, the first jib extension I built for this Cam-am did not have the diagonal piece welded in to form a triangle reinforcement.

My neighbor has finger/hand issues that does not allow for quick action to the winch toggle switch, therefore the first jib extension piece came back to me looking like a fishing pole does when it has a lunker of a fish on, and the 1/2" eye bolt was reshaped like a crescent moon.

So I fabricated a new jib with the gusset welded in, and straightened out the eye bolt.

This neighbor has since changed out his cable to a Cam-am approved winch rope and complained that his rope is fraying, and upon looking at the system again I have told him he needed a rescue type rope pulley ($10-20) for the rope (still has the Harbor Freight pulley that's too narrow for the rope).

From the start, I intended to fabricate a modification in such a way that he was able to see the cable from the drivers seat, and I told him to tag the cable (red material tied around the rope) so he'd see when the blade was raised to almost maximum height and not any further (with the new truss extension I believe his weak link is now his winch rope).

KC

View attachment 634926 View attachment 634927 View attachment 634928 View attachment 634929

The rope could be fraying due to a buggered up fairlead from wire cable use.

As I recall with a plow setup on my Yamaha Grizzly, Warn offers a different fairlead specifically for winch plow operation. The rollers where larger in diameter. I simply would swap out fairlead’s when using the plow.

/ B Boss 6x6 plow setup
You didn't take long at all MF Red. The setup you did does look nice and you are correct, one needs to see the lift hook in order to not lift to far. Have you thought about adding a spring to the cable so its user has a softer ending point??

For my plow with a flat strap, this will require a little different setup than a round rope or cable.

I just got in from pushing snow with the Boss and I took some photos, so maybe a few are good enough to post. We have lots of flat light here....

KC

Last edited:
   / B Boss 6x6 plow setup
Pushing snow today. Thought you folks might like to see them but the wifie dearest was at work, so I had to take them all. Barring my lift system is not right, this setup is exceeding my expectations. And yes, I did push right up those snow piles :thumbsup:

Attachments

• P1100313.jpg
    P1100313.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 116
  • P1100311.jpg
    P1100311.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 106
  • P1100310.jpg
    P1100310.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 114
  • P1100308.jpg
    P1100308.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 108
  • P1100307.jpg
    P1100307.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 108
  • P1100306.jpg
    P1100306.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 113
  • P1100305.jpg
    P1100305.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 123
  • P1100300.jpg
    P1100300.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 113
  • P1100297.jpg
    P1100297.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 105
  • P1100318.jpg
    P1100318.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 108
   / B Boss 6x6 plow setup #29  
The rope could be fraying due to a buggered up fairlead from wire cable use.

As I recall with a plow setup on my Yamaha Grizzly, Warn offers a different fairlead specifically for winch plow operation. The rollers where larger in diameter. I simply would swap out fairlead’s when using the plow.

The rope that my neighbor purchased (from his Cam-am vendor) is about 3/8" diameter and the Harbor Freight pulley is for maximum diameter of 1/4".

The roller type fairlead still has smooth surfaces, the rusted areas are from his first year plowing with the OEM hook up to the plow, which he broke the winch cable about 30 times.

I do not know how the rusted area on the fairlead happened?

I showed him how to cut the cable and install the 3/16" thimble and Crosby clamps for the repair (including the "don't saddle a dead horse" phrase).

Bolt cutters: https://www.acehardware.com/departments/tools/hand-tools/bolt-cutters/2195477

Wire rope repair kit: https://www.acehardware.com/departments/hardware/chain-and-rope/rope-and-chain-accessories/5048053

I told him to purchase 75 feet of rope, 8mm PMI accessory cord, (strength = about 3200 lbs. versus the wire cable strength = 2640 obs.) from REI, and also a rescue pulley that would take up to 1/2" diameter rope.

Rope: https://www.rei.com/product/716227/pmi-accessory-cord-8mm

Pulley: https://www.rei.com/product/855700/smc-crx-crevasse-rescue-pulley

KC

B.T.W. Cam-am has a 2" wide (I think) by 8 foot long webbing kit for their snowplow blades, maybe because of their POOR mechanical advantage design?

/ B Boss 6x6 plow setup #30  
You didn't take long at all MF Red. The setup you did does look nice and you are correct, one needs to see the lift hook in order to not lift to far. Have you thought about adding a spring to the cable so its user has a softer ending point??

For my plow with a flat strap, this will require a little different setup than a round rope or cable.

I just got in from pushing snow with the Boss and I took some photos, so maybe a few are good enough to post. We have lots of flat light here....

If I look outside tomorrow and we get another foot of snow, I'm switching the Dozer Blade out to the Snowblower, and I bet that's a nice ride plowing snow using those tracks.

I declined the spring option because I kind of figured it would end up uncurled and going through the pulley (at least part of it), and (using the 3/8" x 1 1/2" flat bar with out a gusset) on the first design I thought my neighbor would be able to see the end of the flat bar twitching (like a fish bite shows up on the fishing pole) and let go of the winch toggle switch.

That didn't happen and he wanted it "stronger", so I built another one and added the gusset.

Now the weak link is the winch rope or his brush guard that is not very thick tubing.

KC