Attachment

/ Attachment #1  

Tony Calo

Tractor
None yet
I'm planning on buying a tractor very soon and the offer I have from the dealer is a free attachment of a rear blade or a box blade. Which is better to smooth out a 200 yard dirt driveway with water runoff ruts in it.

/ Attachment #2  
I have both and they both work well , Rear angle blade is better for ditch work . Box blade will move material and smooth better,. If you can only get one , get the box blade.

/ Attachment #3  
I have both and they both work well , Rear angle blade is better for ditch work . Box blade will move material and smooth better,. If you can only get one , get the box blade.
X2

/ Attachment #4  
I have a very heavy Rhino rear blade - a Bush Hog roll over box blade( ROBB) - a Land Pride - Land Plane Grading scraper( LPGS ). Each has its own "best" function. You did not indicate where you live. But here goes -

The rear blade is great for driveway maintenance - snow removal and cleaning out the ditches. It IS NOT an easy implement to learn to use well for driveway smoothing. Since it is directly attached to the 3-point - it moves up/down as the tractor moves up/down. If you simply drop a heavy rear blade and drive forward in a more/less float position - you could easily dig a trench to China. If your tractor has the power. In my case - after many years trying to smooth, level, grade my driveway with my rear blade - I purchased the land plane grading scraper.

The box blade is not an implement intended for snow removal. It will load and move dirt well. It would not clear ditches on my driveway. It can be laid down on the driveway and simply drug along in an almost float configuration. In my case - it was easier to learn than my rear blade.

The LPGS is an excellent implement for smoothing the driveway. It can be used to fill potholes, eliminate riffles, fix speed bumps and most all driveway irregularities. It will not move snow, clean driveway ditches or recrown the driveway. You simply attach the implement - drive forward - let the implement do its work.

Both my ROBB & LPGS have scarifiers. They are used to "tear up" a pothole so the new dirt, drug to the pothole, will incorporate and not just sit there on the top.

What ever you decide - implement weight is what will do the work for you. Light implements tend to just skip along the driveway and create sparks. Heavy implements will dig in and do their expected jobs.

By the way - Tony, welcome to TBN and the forum.

Last edited:
   / Attachment #5  
Rear blade better for ditching,and if you get snow better removing snow than box blade.

/ Attachment #6  
I'd also ask for digital copies of the WSM and owners manual, a steering wheel spinner, a complete set of spare filters, and your first 50 hour service as part of the deal.