Anyone ever use a Life Coach?

/ Anyone ever use a Life Coach? #51  
One thing I NEVER do, is allude to what is transpiring with me on this forum simply because it's none of anyone's business but mine and my immediate family. Lets just say I was given 6 months to be alive and exist on this ever degrading orb.

Currently into my 2nd month of my timeline and not much I can do to alter what the inevitable is.

It's been fun so far...

Like I said at the outset, my wife and my immediate family are the only 'Lifecoaches' I need other that the Lord.

/ Anyone ever use a Life Coach? #52  
One thing I NEVER do, is allude to what is transpiring with me on this forum simply because it's none of anyone's business but mine and my immediate family. Lets just say I was given 6 months to be alive and exist on this ever degrading orb.

Currently into my 2nd month of my timeline and not much I can do to alter what the inevitable is.

It's been fun so far...

Like I said at the outset, my wife and my immediate family are the only 'Lifecoaches' I need other that the Lord.
After reading this I decided that my comment is inappropriate. It was meant in a joking way and I hope that's the way you took it. Please accept my apology.

Please keep commenting on threads. I don't always agree your opinion but I do enjoy reading what you write.

/ Anyone ever use a Life Coach? #53  
I've been in a funk lately and I'm trying to get myself back on track. I'm not depressed, just sort of at a crossroads of options and trying to figure out how to jump start my motivation.

Last year was a record year for my business, but the travel took a toll on me with over 265 days in hotels. It was hard, stressful and ultimately lead to a cardiac scare that turned out to be stress/diet/lifestyle induced. The weird part is you get addicted to the cycle of stress and the victory of overcoming crappy situations/problems.

This year, work started slow, which was fine for me at first, but I think the idle hands/mind are something that's beginning to grate on me. I started out the year exercising, losing 20+ lbs, eating healthy and getting ready for our family vacation to Africa a few weeks ago. Now that the vacation is over, I need to get rolling again, but my motivation is now non-existent. I think part of it is I'm afraid I'll get myself right back into the same stress/overworked predicament I was into last year.

But there are definitely some things I need to do. I need to get working on my company website so I can court some new customers, broaden my customer base, giving me some more stability and allowing me to be pickier on the type of jobs I take. I need to get back to the gym and take control of my health. And I need to get my wife and me back on track for our retirement goals so we can transition to retirement in the coming years (just turned 57 2 days ago). I just lack any motivation to do so. Financially we're still fine, but she quit working 18 months ago and seems to be in the same funk I'm in, with no motivation to go back to work. I'm sure part of it is mid-life crisis and the realization that our nest is about to be empty with our youngest a HS senior. Part of it is we're tired of the rat race and the current work/political climate. Maybe we're feeling the same malaise that has made so many drop out of the workforce?

So, I'm wondering if I should try a life coach for a little bit? I just need someone that can help break things down into small pieces and push me until my flame relights with a clearer path of what I want to do.

Anyone ever use a life coach or have some suggestions?

It is always hard to turn down the next opportunity when you run your own business. I have the same problem, but luckily I dont travel much at all anymore. That has helped a ton. We all need purpose. My recommendation is to set some goals (retirement, less travel, business website, etc) and just take them 1 day at a time. When we have something to work towards we are often happier. Just dont make those goals too difficult on yourself.

/ Anyone ever use a Life Coach? #54  

It's been fun so far...

Years back, a Wise Man I reported to said something I've always remembered....

"No such thing as Managing Time. We only get to manage how we spend Time."

Thanks 50, for spending some precious Time with us.....

Rgds, D.

/ Anyone ever use a Life Coach?

It's been fun so far...

No problem. What I mentioned about being in a "funk" was what I was willing to share to get some others input. From what I gather, there are many others in today's work force that feel a similar funk. Sometimes you need some other walls to bounce things off of to get a fresh perspective.

Edit:
5030, I just reread your post and realized you were sharing something with us. My sincerest hope that you find peace and fulfillment with your life. I once read a saying that only a fool wastes time worrying about the inevitable. It sounds like you're in that space. It's something we'll all face someday.

I have a relative that was recently given a grim outlook that equals months. That person is suffering trying to come to terms with the reality and it's only detracting with the time they have left.

Last edited:
   / Anyone ever use a Life Coach? #56  

It's been fun so far...

Prostrate?

/ Anyone ever use a Life Coach? #57  
I've been in a funk lately and I'm trying to get myself back on track. I'm not depressed, just sort of at a crossroads of options and trying to figure out how to jump start my motivation.

Last year was a record year for my business, but the travel took a toll on me with over 265 days in hotels. It was hard, stressful and ultimately lead to a cardiac scare that turned out to be stress/diet/lifestyle induced. The weird part is you get addicted to the cycle of stress and the victory of overcoming crappy situations/problems.

This year, work started slow, which was fine for me at first, but I think the idle hands/mind are something that's beginning to grate on me. I started out the year exercising, losing 20+ lbs, eating healthy and getting ready for our family vacation to Africa a few weeks ago. Now that the vacation is over, I need to get rolling again, but my motivation is now non-existent. I think part of it is I'm afraid I'll get myself right back into the same stress/overworked predicament I was into last year.

But there are definitely some things I need to do. I need to get working on my company website so I can court some new customers, broaden my customer base, giving me some more stability and allowing me to be pickier on the type of jobs I take. I need to get back to the gym and take control of my health. And I need to get my wife and me back on track for our retirement goals so we can transition to retirement in the coming years (just turned 57 2 days ago). I just lack any motivation to do so. Financially we're still fine, but she quit working 18 months ago and seems to be in the same funk I'm in, with no motivation to go back to work. I'm sure part of it is mid-life crisis and the realization that our nest is about to be empty with our youngest a HS senior. Part of it is we're tired of the rat race and the current work/political climate. Maybe we're feeling the same malaise that has made so many drop out of the workforce?

So, I'm wondering if I should try a life coach for a little bit? I just need someone that can help break things down into small pieces and push me until my flame relights with a clearer path of what I want to do.

I'll come at this a little differently than some others have. Lots of good opinions in this thread. I will also make known that I am a Jesus follower, that helps when things get heavy for sure!

The theme I read in the original post was "overwhelmed". Burnout, lack of motivation, and a seemingly huge list of must do's. You gotta start eating that elephant one bite at a time. The first step is realizing you need a plan, done. Step 2 is don't make a major change yet. While you figure out where you are, keep things moving. Vacation or short break, good no problem. Just don't go out and make a snap decision, yet.

Step 3, lets start here, back to basics. Short, medium, and long term goals. What's important, what's easy, what's obviously going to take a while?

Short term goal, do you want to commit to fitness? Make a goal that is SMART - Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Time Stamped. I'll give you an example from my personal 2023 Life Plan. You can not wait for the motivation then start. You have to commit and do it.

FITNESS

Primary Commitment for 2023:

• Specific- I will choose better food for fueling my body and remain active.
  • Measurable – I will only eat out 4 times each week, choosing healthier whole food options for the remainder of the week. I will ensure that I have an unbroken 15 minutes of physical activity 4 times each week.
  • Attainable – Baring no major margin issues, this should be easily possible.
  • Relevant – I must be in good health to have the energy and stamina to carry out God’s will and keep up with my Children.
  • Time Stamp– I will begin this action on November 28, 2022

You may look at that goal and think it's silly and not a very large goal. But, It has worked wonders for me. Goal setting is not about setting up a monumental mountain. But rather, attainable steps that when combined over time, you look out and realize that you can see over the clouds. Once I committed to the goal above and made it a habit, it's no longer something I have to think about. No brain power thinking about it any more, I just do it. Now I can use that brain power for the next goal or problem to solve and I get the benefit of being healthier as I'm going along.

"I need to get working on my company website so I can court some new customers, broaden my customer base, giving me some more stability and allowing me to be pickier on the type of jobs I take."

Maybe another short term goal is your company website, you have a lot of mental weight that seem to hinge on it. Envision what your business would look like in 5 years. What does it mean to have a broader customer base to you? What would it look like to be able to be pickier on the types of jobs you take? Imagine you already have that broad base and have narrowed the types of jobs you take and it has been working well. Now, build the website for THAT business. Or, use that business as the basis and hire out the building of the website. Use your money as a tool for you to take that off your plate and put it on the plate of someone who builds websites for a living.

/ Anyone ever use a Life Coach? #58  

Really sorry to hear of your time line. :(

/ Anyone ever use a Life Coach? #59  

Come live in my misery a few days and you'll return home as a new being. I mean she at, if you can pook off enough bucks to vacate in Africa, I feel so bad for you.

/ Anyone ever use a Life Coach? #60  
Like most men, my initial reaction is I don’t need anything like a life coach, psychologist, counselor or such. I mean I’m a guy, we don’t show emotions right? Of course this isn’t true and as I’ve gotten older I realize how resilient yet delicate the human life can be. If you need help and someone like a life coach can do it, go for it.