Anyone ever use a Life Coach?

/ Anyone ever use a Life Coach? #32  
My life coach was my dad, and he sent me to B.E. Holder's school of hard knock's, L will admit I didn't understand sometimes why he was as tough on me as he was when I was younger but I do today and will always be thankful for the life lesson's that he taught me. In 6 days he will have been gone 8 years and I find myself doing and saying the same things that he used to do and say, my wife says that I act just like him. These days I try to get most of my guidance from the Lord our God Jesus Christ, he helps keep me on the straight and narrow.

Yep, so true. Once, or should I say “if” this nation ever turns back to the teachings of God instead of greed, vanity, jealousy, perversion, lies and contempt for one another, we may have a chance.

Far as the mood altering drugs go, I have never taken any and never will. If I have anger, I go into the basement and lift weights or go work it off somehow, or go to a place of serenity and let that take care of it. No judgement, for those who do. I believe in freedom within the boundaries of morality and the law

/ Anyone ever use a Life Coach? #33  
Yep, so true. Once, or should I say “if” this nation ever turns back to the teachings of God instead of greed, vanity, jealousy, perversion, lies and contempt for one another, we may have a chance.

Far as the mood altering drugs go, I have never taken any and never will. If I have anger, I go into the basement and lift weights or go work it off somehow, or go to a place of serenity and let that take care of it. No judgement, for those who do. I believe in freedom within the boundaries of morality and the law
I have been fortunate on the mood drugs, never have needed them, always seemed to have to many people counting on me to slow down long enough to realize that I had problems LOL , truth is when I catch myself feeling a little sorry for myself or aggravated because things don't seem to be going right I just take a look around at other people and their problems and realize how blessed that I am, I hope my luck holds out as the only medicine that I take is either Advil, BC or Goody's powder.
And yes as a nation we have turned away from God and it shows.

/ Anyone ever use a Life Coach? #34  
1689442798559.png

/ Anyone ever use a Life Coach? #35  
Lots of stoned people on the streets ranting or having long conversations with no one.

Some are very aggressive and some get physical.

I have no idea if it ties into lax to no drug enforcement... seems only DUI gets enforced but it is profitable... not do much for the guy with a shopping cart getting cited.

It could explain a lot because those I know basically loose motivation and drive beyond the moment.

/ Anyone ever use a Life Coach? #36  
No direct contact with a Life Coach, but noted a close friend's comments...... within his extended family, someone who had a significant issue going on, came to him for ongoing advice. Since the foundation issue was totally outside his realm of expertise, or even experience, my friend found the Life Coach rounds of discussion re. How To __________ with the subject problem useful.

Doctors, Life Coaches, Mechanics....... Good, Mediocre, Bad..... ymmv, depending on the actual case at hand.

Somebody in this thread mentioned Huberman. I only stumbled across him recently, via Jocko Willink. (I posted an extensive Huberman JW interview over in .... We might make it ..... thread earlier).

Hits on it in that ^ long podcast, Dopamine is a big deal, for all of us, re. Motivation/Engagement.

I plan on going through more Huberman material - understanding my own head is one factor, but I also have a close friend who went through a major medical event about a year and a half ago, who could definitely benefit from the Neuro knowledge Huberman covers.

This is the latest AH vid I'm working through:

We don't come with a Body, Owner's Manual (not that real men read them :cool:), but we will watch videos !

Burn-out is no fun..... many/most/all of us have been there, best of luck with Changes.

(May have been done recently, if not, get full bloodwork done to rule out a physical issue. Used Oil Analysis, for the most expensive Engine we own.....)

Rgds, D.

/ Anyone ever use a Life Coach? #37  
Sometimes, a case of beer, a bbq grill and a few good friends does a great job.

/ Anyone ever use a Life Coach? #38  
For me, I work so I can afford my farm. Work is just a part of my day that doesn't have a lot of importance to me. What matters is that my wife, my parents and my animals are good, and then what can I get done on my farm. That motivation keeps me going and excited to see what happens next. The farm is always evolving and getting better. It's never ending, so I always have projects to figure out.

As a Contractor, I've worked for quite a few Counselors, Doctors and other health experts. I can only think of a few that are not alcoholics, horrible slobs, horrible parents, and unable to function with people outside of work. Lock themselves in a room when they get home, and their wives keep the kids quiet until he comes out. One has written several books, but she is in another relationship every three months. I've never met an expert that I would take seriously on how to live a better life.

Having said that, my wife knows a lady that she feels is a very good life coach. I always focus on the negative on these people, and I know what her issues are, but that doesn't mean she can't help you out. Text me if you want her contact information.

Karen just told me that people who have had heart attacks are almost 40% more likely to suffer from depression and commit suicide.

Last edited:
   / Anyone ever use a Life Coach? #39  
I know a relationship coach and author who has done real well and offers consulting to therapist would be coaches on how to build your practice…

I was in his first wedding and now on wife 3 with kids along the way…

He does have a forward in one of his books about his three marriages spinning it so as not having to make the mistakes he did…

I guess all a matter of prospective?

/ Anyone ever use a Life Coach? #40  
I've been in a funk lately and I'm trying to get myself back on track. I'm not depressed, just sort of at a crossroads of options and trying to figure out how to jump start my motivation.

Last year was a record year for my business, but the travel took a toll on me with over 265 days in hotels. It was hard, stressful and ultimately lead to a cardiac scare that turned out to be stress/diet/lifestyle induced. The weird part is you get addicted to the cycle of stress and the victory of overcoming crappy situations/problems.

This year, work started slow, which was fine for me at first, but I think the idle hands/mind are something that's beginning to grate on me. I started out the year exercising, losing 20+ lbs, eating healthy and getting ready for our family vacation to Africa a few weeks ago. Now that the vacation is over, I need to get rolling again, but my motivation is now non-existent. I think part of it is I'm afraid I'll get myself right back into the same stress/overworked predicament I was into last year.

But there are definitely some things I need to do. I need to get working on my company website so I can court some new customers, broaden my customer base, giving me some more stability and allowing me to be pickier on the type of jobs I take. I need to get back to the gym and take control of my health. And I need to get my wife and me back on track for our retirement goals so we can transition to retirement in the coming years (just turned 57 2 days ago). I just lack any motivation to do so. Financially we're still fine, but she quit working 18 months ago and seems to be in the same funk I'm in, with no motivation to go back to work. I'm sure part of it is mid-life crisis and the realization that our nest is about to be empty with our youngest a HS senior. Part of it is we're tired of the rat race and the current work/political climate. Maybe we're feeling the same malaise that has made so many drop out of the workforce?

So, I'm wondering if I should try a life coach for a little bit? I just need someone that can help break things down into small pieces and push me until my flame relights with a clearer path of what I want to do.

Anyone ever use a life coach or have some suggestions?
Sounds like you and the wife are just burnt out.

I really think that too many people, especially if one is in the environment of Due More With Less nonsense, are just burnt out due to the ever increasing workload. At some point, one can't do the work anymore, it is not sustainable. Companies, and some government organizations, have been pushing this Do More With Less nonsense for decades. This truly is a boil the frog situation, and some organization who had good people, team work culture, etc, could handle the Do More With Less, for awhile. At some point, the whole system start to fall apart as people burn out, leave for better organizations, retire, etc.

The US Navy has been running their crews and ships ragged for decades now and it is one of the reasons navy vessels would collide with a commercial ship. The US ship would have more people on watch than the commercial vessel had as the entire crew...

The pandemic speeding up retirements has to be partly due to this Do More With Less mentality. Many people are just burned out and I think it will take time for them to recover their energy.