Anyone ever use a Life Coach?

/ Anyone ever use a Life Coach? #41  
It seems like most of us have to do more work now just to sustain our current lifestyles.
With food, fuel, utilities, vehicles, mortgages, homes, electronics costing so much more than just 2-3 years ago, many of us seem to be working harder than ever.

I honestly believe if inflation and interest rates were much lower, many fewer people would be under so much stress.

”It’s the economy, stupid” applies for the increased stress/burnout of a huge swath of the US population that still works and pays taxes.

/ Anyone ever use a Life Coach? #42  
I know a relationship coach and author who has done real well and offers consulting to therapist would be coaches on how to build your practice…

I was in his first wedding and now on wife 3 with kids along the way…

He does have a forward in one of his books about his three marriages spinning it so as not having to make the mistakes he did…

I guess all a matter of prospective?
I wonder if California has more (and more successful) life coaches per capita than other places? It seems like a trend that would emanate from Hollywood area.

/ Anyone ever use a Life Coach? #43  
Could be because disposable income tends to be available...

/ Anyone ever use a Life Coach?
...I've worked for quite a few Counselors, Doctors and other health experts. I can only think of a few that are not alcoholics, horrible slobs, horrible parents, and unable to function with people outside of work. Lock themselves in a room when they get home, and their wives keep the kids quiet until he comes out. One has written several books, but she is in another relationship every three months. I've never met an expert that I would take seriously on how to live a better life.

Karen just told me that people who have had heart attacks are almost 40% more likely to suffer from depression and commit suicide.

Eddie, you're spot on with all the folks I've ever met that are psychiatrists, counselors, therapists etc. They've always been such odd folks that can barely socially interact with others. I guess I was thinking a Life Coach is something different, like one of those house organizing folks or something. Maybe not.

I've heard the same thing about cardiac patients. I don't think my funk is related, mine was just tachycardia that they think was caused by over-hydration/long hours, coupled with stress and caffeine, getting me out of whack on electrolytes. I'll tell you this, 160- 190 resting heart rate will get your attention. My wife was really impressed that I waited until the third episode o_O.

I've been back to the gym every day since Thursday and my attitude is already starting to get back sorted again. I think there's definitely a "blip or bounce" that happens to your psyche when you skip or get out of an exercise regimen.

I have some jobs lined up in Orlando, Taiwan and Pakistan so even if that's the only work I do for the rest of the year, that covers my nut. I really do enjoy traveling, but I'm getting tired of all the drama in my industry and the entire workforce in general. From my talks with others, my industry isn't alone. It seems that work ethic, morals and competence have all taken a backseat to all the "woke" issues of the day.

I'm in a position to maybe make a complete lifestyle/career change and I guess that's weighing on me. Heck, I'd be perfectly content building pipe fences, building deer feeders/blinds and/or brush hogging pastures all day and maybe I look for something that's as simple as that. Money isn't really an issue, although I guess I was wanting to keep my foot on the accelerator for another few years to fund more vacations and a wilder retirement.

A mid-life quandary and a tapping of the brakes so I can figure out what I really want to do, is what I think my funk is. I just haven't figured out the answer yet.

Last edited:
   / Anyone ever use a Life Coach? #45  
What I did was move into education. It was always in the back of my mind as a pre-retirement gig. I just retired at the end of May.

There is a lot of nonsense in education, but the only way to improve it is for people who understand life to go back and teach. The worst of the teachers I met were those who never had a full time adult job in their lives. They went from HS, to college and right to teaching. That may work for K thru 2 but the older the students, the more they need to connect what they learn to real life. They complain a lot, but once you get through a year or two, it is easier than a 'real job'. More time off, shorter work days and more satisfying as you really make a difference to some kids.

/ Anyone ever use a Life Coach?
What I did was move into education. It was always in the back of my mind as a pre-retirement gig. I just retired at the end of May.

There is a lot of nonsense in education, but the only way to improve it is for people who understand life to go back and teach. The worst of the teachers I met were those who never had a full time adult job in their lives. They went from HS, to college and right to teaching. That may work for K thru 2 but the older the students, the more they need to connect what they learn to real life. They complain a lot, but once you get through a year or two, it is easier than a 'real job'. More time off, shorter work days and more satisfying as you really make a difference to some kids.
That's been something I've been pondering. One of the things I really enjoy in my job is when I have to give training presentations. I really enjoy sharing my knowledge and I've always been complimented in my approach to simplifying the topic into manageable pieces and then using relatable examples/experiences to convey the knowledge.

My daughter is attending a local college for equine studies. One of the classes she had to take was "Farm and Ranch Shop Skills". She said it was a disaster with a bad curriculum and unsafe shop practices, that was poorly planned and executed with no resource manual/textbook. She also said the shop was poorly stocked and had limited tools, that constantly blew circuits anyway. Her comment "Daddy, I wanted to drive your truck to class, because you carry better tools in your toolbox." stuck with me. Anyway, in my past work roles, I used to run a field service group, engineering team and fabrication shop. In each of those rolls, I developed a "manual" for that group that allowed easy reference to our "standards". (Examples: common installation details for pressure transmitters: recommended piping practices for pumping systems etc.). I really thought those shop students should have had some type of reference manual that could serve them in their careers. (examples: Recommended drill sizes for thru hole, tapped holes, thread cutting screw holes; approximate weights of bale sizes etc.). At the very least, they should have been given one of the various "Pocket Reference" books that most of us have sitting in our tool box or shop bench.

Anyway, just another consideration of things I might want to do.

/ Anyone ever use a Life Coach? #48  
I've been back to the gym every day since Thursday and my attitude is already starting to get back sorted again. I think there's definitely a "blip or bounce" that happens to your psyche when you skip or get out of an exercise regimen.

I really do enjoy traveling, but I'm getting tired of all the drama in my industry and the entire workforce in general. From my talks with others, my industry isn't alone. It seems that work ethic, morals and competence have all taken a backseat to all the "woke" issues of the day.

A mid-life quandary and a tapping of the brakes so I can figure out what I really want to do, is what I think my funk is. I just haven't figured out the answer yet.

Stick with the gym. We all know to do it..... getting consistent with it, most (me) need to get better @ that....

I find it pretty common, across Industries - a high level of Disengagement. Quiet Quitting has been A Thing for a while.

I've taught technical material in the past. I enjoyed doing that, it's technical, you are solving problems, including people's lack of knowledge. I would be (extremely) challenged trying to teach in a "normal" environment today - way too Woke for me.

I have a niece who is doing a Phd at the moment. I've had a few extended phone conversations with her this year. Canadian universities typically had a very good reputation, at least the Science ones anyway - things have slid. As much as she (a young person with a stellar work ethic) needs the money, she has declined most paid teaching work @ the university she attends - the politics are that bad. Up through her Masters (a different Uni), she would usually take on all the extra paid teaching she could. YMMV by school, and most are changing rapidly, esp. when govt funding is involved.

I've gone through a lot of material from Jocko Willink the last few years. Some of what we are talking about relates to why he has been able to build a successful business consulting company, after retiring from the military. A recent phrase I came across relates to balance/motion. On Your Heels, Neutral (balance), and Forward Centre of Mass...... no surprise what a serving or retired Navy Seal favours.....

As instructive as seeking information from a high performance person like JW is, it often underlines really basic matters....

Fight or Flight...... it's been kicking around my mind concerning some of the work issues you've touched on, for a long time. I'm convinced that many/most of us incur a lot of personal wear/tear just damping down that Fight or Flight response to "modern" life...

I'm heading out for a 1 hour bicycle ride.... gotta get that in before work......

Be Well gs, and let us know how things go.

Rgds, D.

/ Anyone ever use a Life Coach? #49  

@gsganzer "That's been something I've been pondering. One of the things I really enjoy in my job is when I have to give training presentations. I really enjoy sharing my knowledge and I've always been complimented in my approach to simplifying the topic into manageable pieces and then using relatable examples/experiences to convey the knowledge."

Simplyifiing any technical topic into managable understandable pieces is a good talent to have.

I went to teaching at a trade school after going through a similiar "funk" that you mention. Got me back on the right track and eventually opened up more opportunties in the future as several of my former students reccomended me to thier employers for project engineering positions.
The real lesson for me here was I found out that relationships are more important than knowledge. Invest in people and they usually pay you back.
I saw a real need for teachers who have lived in the real world and could communicate thier practicle experience to others.
I wish you well in your endeavors. Life is not always easy.