Anyone else having problems viewing files?

/ Anyone else having problems viewing files? #111  
No doubt about it. Safari and TBN are not mixing well. Weird log in pages - less than half the avatars are displayed - many pictures and avatars are only small blue square with ? in the center.

Strange - up until about 5 or 6 days ago - Safari worked just fine.

It's beginning to have an effect when I use FireFox also. Several times I have to back out of the thread and then re-enter to get complete display.

/ Anyone else having problems viewing files? #112  
Take it down a notch. I know enough about the topic to know you don't. Assumptions don't solve problems.

If I write code that says to put item X into location y and then the browser code moves y, presto! The problem can easily be explained without anything changing on TBN's end. I don't know if that is the case or not, but neither do you. I do know that it is browser specific. I also know that few coders have different versions for different browsers. Hence, Occam's Razor leans toward a problem with certain browsers rather than anything at TBN. (Otherwise it would affect all of us). It would not be specific to individual systems, but with the browser code. Of course a virus could do the same thing and very well could affect some browsers and not others.
LMAO...you are the one that obviously doesn't know more about the topic...there is no way a "browser code" changes/moves anything without a physical change either by update or system regression... a browser cannot move files it can only request and display them...

FYI...up until version PHP5 I was quite fluent along with SQL...I wrote lots of applications for HTML interfaces with (mostly) MySQL databases...I know all about testing for comparability issues between browsers and browser versions...All developers went through this when the W3C decided that TABLES were bad and CSS was the way to go...that set off a new wave of browser comparability problems...

As far as this problem goes with Firefox it is version specific...which leads me to think it is a CSS or JS issue...(a browser can only display what is served...)

/ Anyone else having problems viewing files? #113  
It is a very strange issue. First I'll admit that I know very little about certain areas of CSS. My observation however is that for the past few days, the first access to the site, with Firefox seems to be giving me only HTML and not accessing any CSS files. If I switch threads and look at different areas than the forum, then go back to the forum, somehow the CSS files then get re-linked to the HTML body and the pages are then displayed properly. Its seems the server is having a bit of trouble accessing the CSS files?

/ Anyone else having problems viewing files? #114  
It is a very strange issue. First I'll admit that I know very little about certain areas of CSS. My observation however is that for the past few days, the first access to the site, with Firefox seems to be giving me only HTML and not accessing any CSS files. If I switch threads and look at different areas than the forum, then go back to the forum, somehow the CSS files then get re-linked to the HTML body and the pages are then displayed properly. Its seems the server is having a bit of trouble accessing the CSS files?
But it works on my ChromeOS.

I signed out and everything worked just fine. Singed in to post this.

/ Anyone else having problems viewing files? #115  
This morning - things are much better. TBN with FireFox - 100%. TBN with Safari - all is well except almost no avatars. Pictures are fine also. Somebody is making progress - ???

/ Anyone else having problems viewing files? #116  
The counter for my postings has stopped working.
It hasnt updated in a couple of days.

/ Anyone else having problems viewing files? #117  
Well it counted my last one so who knows.
Gremlins I tell ya.

/ Anyone else having problems viewing files? #118  
I have run into that as well but just on Android/Firefox.
The dynamic part of CSS (where your browser dynamically configures the page to fit on your screen based on the CSS file which as I have been saying can include reformatting image links on the fly) sometimes doesn't load the first time, but always loads the 2nd time
To complicate things, there are not just TBN servers and your browser involved, TBN also uses a 3rd party (Cloudflare?) to do the "heavy lifting" of delivering files from the TBN servers to end user's browsers.

So possible failure points (from TBN tontye end user) include:
  1. TBN Servers
  2. DNS for TBN servers
  3. 3rd party caching servers (Cloudflare or similar)
  4. DNS for 3rd party servers
  5. Connection issues in the Internet (something misconfigured that is forwarding incorrectly, blocking or dropping a connection in the TBN servers, the caching servers, or the user's ISP)
  6. End user DNS
  7. End user browser cache
  8. End user browser
Some of those will leave traces in the logs that are accessible to Muhammad, Ibrahm (and others at TBN), others will be in the 3rd party servers (which may be accessible, or more likely will require convincing a 3rd party that their servers are broken, getting through helpdesk and to someone able/competent enough to read and understand the logs), others will silently fail and the only noticable effect will be "missing pieces" of the website.

There are enough moving parts involved that it's a wonder it ever works.

Aaron Z

/ Anyone else having problems viewing files? #119  
FWIW...dug out an old Motorola Xoom pad...runs whatever the latest available version (for the old xoom) of Chrome...uploaded images display OK...but no avatars...