Anyone else having problems viewing files?

/ Anyone else having problems viewing files? #101  
Edit, never mind, was just behind on the Groan thread and ran into a page of images from Tuesday that got lost which Ibram mentioned earlier.

Aaron Z

/ Anyone else having problems viewing files? #102  
Here @ 11 pm - things are still not working correctly. Log in page opens with display of raw data. Same with many posts and no avatars. Looks very much like virus corruption.
403 errors are a server configuration issue

Unfortunately it looks more to do with tracking javascripts not loading

/ Anyone else having problems viewing files? #103  
This morning I've been all over the site. Everything is working fine again. And the predicted "allmighty storm" that was going to hit us and the midwest appears to have slipped right by us here.

/ Anyone else having problems viewing files? #104  
Glad some of you guys understand this techie stuff.

Now for reality...most of us don't. Suggesting forum users do things to correct a problem that only occurs with this site is asking a lot of guys like me. My first thought is, "How will this affect the other sites I am not having problems with?" TBN is the third most used site for me, so I was prepared to just stop using it.

I was not going to "complain" until the problem happened on two different platforms. Windows 10 and the iPad. So that was a huge red flag that the problem was likely not at my end unless Star Link is causing it. It was comforting to know others had the same issues.

At least the site is working on the laptop now, but the iPad is still not working. Again, I did nothing to "fix" the problem on the laptop. If, as reported, TBN did nothing either, it is puzzling.

/ Anyone else having problems viewing files? #105  
I get that on occasion on Firefox on android, generally a reload fix is it, I'm assuming something isn't loading correctly with CSS as all the data is there, it's just not formatted correctly.

It can dynamically resize pictures to match your screen size, the site does that.

In theory, you could also have CSS set the current image location so that if the image hosting location changes as it has in the past old posts can be updated with the new image location and all the database needs to store is the unique attachment ID.

Looking at what is loaded for this particular page, I count 14 scripts and it appears to use 5 CSS style sheets with a total of 6,989 rules. It only takes a couple characters to getting changed for the whole thing to stop working.

That's because people often get complacent and skip the basic steps of troubleshooting, then act confused when their problem ends up being something basic.
How many threads have there been on here complaining about how their tractor won't start and it turns out to be either the PTO lever not being quite seated in neutral, on a hydrostatic tractor one of the pedals is just far enough out of the neutral position that it trips the safety and doesn't let it crank?

In theory, you could also have CSS set the current image location so that if the image hosting location changes as it has in the past old posts can be updated with the new image location and all the database needs to store is the unique attachment ID.
The CSS cannot dynamically change..it is a static document..yes it can display X for X browser and Y for Y browser but the CSS code does not change...

Why the complete and total dismissal of clearing cookies and cache as a troubleshooting step then?
If you've already done it great, say so. If you haven't you probably should.

Aaron Z

The CSS cannot dynamically change..it is a static document..yes it can display X for X browser and Y for Y browser but the CSS code does not change... if the link to an image in the database works for one browser it should work for all...

Why the complete and total dismissal of clearing cookies and cache as a troubleshooting step then?
If you've already done it great, say so. If you haven't you probably should.
Where did this come from?...actually I did all the obvious user end troubleshooting at the onset of experiencing the problem...before I ever mentioned it in a post...I did not mention it until I saw that others were having an issue...

The problem is obviously not effecting all users but the problem does still exist...even if it is only with certain browsers/versions etc...something still changed and it is not on the user end...
If management does not care about fixing the problem (and it IS their problem)..so be it...maybe they have the same attitude as one moderator and hope it never gets fixed for certain users...???

/ Anyone else having problems viewing files? #106  
Since there are several others that are experiencing the PROBLEM...AND it is ONLY on this site...it is obviously on the site's end...whether they think they changed something or not... something changed on TBN's end and they just don't realize it...
Trying to get users to jump through hoops when the problem is on the server side is just plain lame...no two ways about it...!!!!!!

/ Anyone else having problems viewing files? #107  
Just curious...has anyone checked all the server logs for errors thrown ??

/ Anyone else having problems viewing files? #108  
Since there are several others that are experiencing the PROBLEM...AND it is ONLY on this site...it is obviously on the site's end...whether they think they changed something or not... something changed on TBN's end and they just don't realize it...
Trying to get users to jump through hoops when the problem is on the server side is just plain lame...no two ways about it...!!!!!!
I wish it was that simple. I use 3 different devices to read here. Not 1 problem. Using DDG on 3 different OS. It is not as simple as something had to change at TBN. More likely, something happened at Safari. Safari and Edge share some info, so it is not surprising that people would have problems on both.

/ Anyone else having problems viewing files? #109  
I wish it was that simple. I use 3 different devices to read here. Not 1 problem. Using DDG on 3 different OS. It is not as simple as something had to change at TBN. More likely, something happened at Safari. Safari and Edge share some info, so it is not surprising that people would have problems on both.
The image parsing issue is also present in versions of Firefox on PCs too...nothing "happened" to user end browsers...something changed at TBN...there is no denying this fact...!

/ Anyone else having problems viewing files? #110  
The image parsing issue is also present in versions of Firefox on PCs too...nothing "happened" to user end browsers...something changed at TBN...there is no denying this fact...!
Take it down a notch. I know enough about the topic to know you don't. Assumptions don't solve problems.

If I write code that says to put item X into location y and then the browser code moves y, presto! The problem can easily be explained without anything changing on TBN's end. I don't know if that is the case or not, but neither do you. I do know that it is browser specific. I also know that few coders have different versions for different browsers. Hence, Occam's Razor leans toward a problem with certain browsers rather than anything at TBN. (Otherwise it would affect all of us). It would not be specific to individual systems, but with the browser code. Of course a virus could do the same thing and very well could affect some browsers and not others.