Any suggestions on a camera?

/ Any suggestions on a camera? #31  
Here is a photo taken on a very dated Lumix camera today. Its a fancy pocket camera. At home it was was DLed via SD card then cropped, color adjusted, down sized and contrast adjusted etc, etc. I am a amateur. She likes to jump off the top of logs.
P1150382.jpg

Last edited:
   / Any suggestions on a camera? #32  
Very dated Nikon D70s plus not outdated Nikon 35mm f1.8 DX lens. No editing except to decrease the size to post here. That camera plus the lens and the compact flash card it uses plus a card reader can be bought for under $250 used. There are lots of low mileage cameras to be found inexpensively because they aren't the latest and greatest. Some people never invest the time and discipline to learn how to shoot. They keep buying new cameras hoping a new camera will give them the results they want instead of first learning how to shoot with what they have. This is partly why there are so many used cameras for sale at inexpensive prices.

Unlike a completely automatic point and shoot, a Nikon D70s has full control over ISO, shutter speed, an aperture. This means you aren't dependent on the camera to make the camera settings so you can set shutter speed high enough to avoid motion blur, set aperture deep enough for sharpness, and control ISO appropriately for the shutter speed and aperture.

It's not the camera I'd use for shooting basketball or for anything in low light situations. But its perfectly fine for photographing something outdoors in good light just to post to CL.

A cell phone or tablet might work, too

sample.jpg.

Last edited:
   / Any suggestions on a camera? #33  
My old camera finally gave up the ghost, so I'm in the market for a replacement. Does anyone make a good one for under $250? I went online to search and about fell over, there are some in the $2000 range. Don't need the smoke and mirrors, just take good pictures and maybe a close up feature. Thanks. RRM

What kind of camera did you have that gave up the ghost? This will give us a good idea what you're looking for, and what your used to.

Cellphone cameras are ok in some instances. They take better pics than old digital cameras of years ago. However, they have woeful limitations for real photography. I do use my phone for lots of pics because I always have it with me.

My first digital camera was a Sony pocket camera. It sucked. My second was a Canon point and shoot with a big zoom. It was better.
Then a Canon 6D than a7DII now an EOS R5. All of these options are way over your price range. Until I know what you had, I can't offer much advise.

Dave

/ Any suggestions on a camera? #34  
Dad gave me his old D70 for my birthday (many years ago). He had upgraded to a newer better Nikon.

A few years ago we bought a simpler Nikon B500. It takes better pictures than the D70, but doesn't have the ability to swap lenses and that sort of thing. I miss the old days of real photography. I took a class in HS using real film and doing our own darkroom work.

/ Any suggestions on a camera? #35  
I too am looking for a decent compact camera, $500 range ... Nikon or Canon, maybe Kodak ?

- it needs to fit into my jacket pocket, as I don't want to carry it
- not too tiny, i have large mitts :)
- digital
- zoom lens
- don't need or want extra lens, pieces ... my daughter is a photographer

(I fall down regularly, and this is why I also don't have a cell phone to carry ... that would cost me a lot) - my little flip phone is Pay As You Go, no data, adequate for cell phone, but the camera is lousy

the Camera needs to be something convenient to take with me or have in the car ... i go to car shows, agriculture events, see family and friends

example ...
1679249291835.png

/ Any suggestions on a camera? #36  
There are legitimate reasons to upgrade. If someone wants to photograph dogs and cats, the automatic eye detection autofocus in the Z50 is a significant upgrade along with the improved sensor and the rear display that can show you what your picture is going to look like before you snap the shutter. It will also fit into a large coat pocket with the kit lens unlike many DSLRs.

If the budget is really $250, I'm just saying an older model DSLR is suitable for making pictures for CL. You can buy several older lens at affordable prices that still make good pictures if you shop carefully and tailor your lens purchase decisions to what you intend to shoot.

d70s +55-200 kit lens no editing except to convert to jpg to upload.
cat.jpg

/ Any suggestions on a camera? #37  
I too am looking for a decent compact camera, $500 range ... Nikon or Canon, maybe Kodak ?

- it needs to fit into my jacket pocket, as I don't want to carry it
- not too tiny, i have large mitts :)
- digital
- zoom lens
- don't need or want extra lens, pieces ... my daughter is a photographer
This one is not exactly pocket sized, but maybe a coat pocket?

/ Any suggestions on a camera? #38  
Might be just above your price range (esp in Canada) but I think the Canon G7 series is a very good choice in high end non-interchangeable lens cameras.

/ Any suggestions on a camera? #39  
Torvy - yes, something like that.... generally a vest pocket, coat pocket, cargo pants ... I still need ball room

/ Any suggestions on a camera? #40  
B500 Uses AA batteries, no dedicated ISO settings button nor any shutter or aperture dials that I see.

What tends to happen is that when point and shoot cameras encounter low light, they automatically drop the shutter speed to compensate resulting in a blurry picture or the colors get mushy.

Fixed lens limits your choices of lens for different situations. 1080p not 4k video. 1/2.3 sensor with 16 MP resolution instead of a larger APSC sensor which will do better in low light. Has a 3 inch LCD rear display, but they don't list the resolution and I doubt it's a touch screen.

Z50 is more money, but has a rechargeable battery, dedicated ISO control, front and rear command dials to control aperture and shutter, touch screen rear display (excellent BTW), ASPC sensor, accepts other Z lenses, 4k video is awesome, has animal eye detect AF, 20 MP sensor.

I'd suggest comparing them in the store, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Z50 is more compact with the lens closed.

edit: I probably should explain more. A mirrorless camera like the Z50 will display what the camera sees in real time either in the viewfinder or the rear LCD screen. Having two command dials to instantly change shutter speed and aperture means you can control your settings and instantly check the picture you are about to shoot and make adjustments to get the exposure you are looking for. The rear display on the Z50 is also a touch screen display so you can easily scroll and zoom the picture you just made to check to see if the picture is really in focus. The screen resolution is sufficiently detailed that you really can see if you got the shot or if you need to reshoot something.

That's part of the reason why the B500 is $350-400 and why the Z50 is more money.

Last edited: