Any suggestions on a camera?

/ Any suggestions on a camera? #1  

Rat Rod Mac

Silver Member
My old camera finally gave up the ghost, so I'm in the market for a replacement. Does anyone make a good one for under $250? I went online to search and about fell over, there are some in the $2000 range. Don't need the smoke and mirrors, just take good pictures and maybe a close up feature. Thanks. RRM

/ Any suggestions on a camera? #3  
ya know, i dropped 5 grand on my Canon setup a few years back.

But i hardly ever yse it. cell phone pics are so much easier and convenient.

/ Any suggestions on a camera? #5  
The best camera is the one you've got with you when you need a picture.

I love the Canon 6D (mk1) setup I've got, and expect someday to go into the new R line, but truth be told I only take the 6D with me when I'm going on a hike with the expectation of taking nature or farther-off people pictures - 99% is my phone .

I personally wouldn't buy a dedicated camera unless you're a hobby photographer - I'd put the money into a phone with a really good camera (and there's quite a few of those now!) - the key is picture quality, and ignore the "megapixels" as even for printing, anything above 15MP or so isn't interesting unless you're printing bigger than 20x30. I have some great prints I took on a trip to Scotland in 2005 that I took with a Canon EOS 10D - a 6MP camera - you won't look at these pics closely enough to complain about the resolution and they're 20x30... but it was a pain hauling around full-sized camera gear all over the place, especially as we were walking about ten miles a day. Not sad I did it though, the pics are worth it and for that purpose, way better than a phone, but that's my 1% usage.

If you're taking pics for a computer screen, 2MP is enough for a HD monitor, and 8MP is enough for a 4K monitor -- unless you're zooming in, in which case the sky's the limit. Still, 15MP gives you plenty for an 8MP picture after you've cropped the bozo on the right out and the garbage on the left.

/ Any suggestions on a camera? #6  
Phones don't have a camera. Not sure what to call what they have in them. I dirty lens shoe box? 😁

/ Any suggestions on a camera? #7  
I hauled my canon with 70-200 f2.8 zoom around a horse show in kentucky. After about 4 hours i was looking fondly at trash cans.

but the pictures i got were amazing. No cell phone could have matched.

/ Any suggestions on a camera? #8  
I've always had excellent Canon SLR's - slim back in the day, and digital now. I've always been happy. But, as wisely said, it's the camera you have with you when you need to take the photo, which you will appreciate most. The DSLR doesn't see much action these days, it's the little Canon Powershot 12MP which I usually have in my pocket. It does a great job of 80% of the photos I would ever need to take. For the other 20%, it'd be good enough, or I have time to get the DSLR out for the perfect photo. And, you know what, I'm not knocking the camera in a decent phone these days, they're better than most film cameras from 30 years ago!

Try a Powershot or equivalent first, If you see what's lacking, and you want better photos often, then it's time to look for a good DSLR and lenes....

/ Any suggestions on a camera? #9  
Digital cameras have really gone up in price. You can get a basic point and shoot like a Canon ELPH for about $200 and it's a competent camera but not a lot better than a good cell phone. Cell phones are amazing now and some serious photographers are doing good work with them. However, I find them awkward to use.

I use a Canon G7x. It has a larger sensor than the more basic cameras which improves quality. It's excellent but I think they cost $600 or more now. The next step up would be something with interchangeable lenses like a mirrorless APS-C system, but you are over $1000 just to get started there.

/ Any suggestions on a camera? #10  
I have two Canon cameras. My big one - well over $5K - like grsthegreat. The small one - around $450. Heck - my uber heavy tripod for the big camera - over $1000. When I travel around Ea WA I always take the smaller camera. I've found that I don't need the bigger camera and all the paraphernalia as counter weight in the Taco Wagon.

I use the large Canon to take pictures of wildlife and wild flowers. Specifically for wild flowers - where infinite detail is an absolute must. I would post one here but all my flower pics run 30 to 35 mb and would take a week to load.

Yes - my cell phone has a camera. And a pic taken with the cell phone will allow you to tell if the animal is a duck or a cow.

Last edited: