All Things BBQ

/ All Things BBQ #41  
holy c***, the yoder 640 is double what i paid for it 4 years ago.

/ All Things BBQ #42  
holy c***, the yoder 640 is double what i paid for it 4 years ago.
Tis true. I am sorry to seem them focus so much on pretty much only the commercial end. The Cheyenne is what I considered a "perfect" lifetime home smoker. At that time it cost $1200. The used on I got still looks like new. Best $800 I have spent in some time.

Here is one that is a little more reasonably priced:

Yoder Smokers YS640 Competition Cart Christmas Ornament​

facebook twitter pinterest

(4 Reviews)
$11.95 free shipping on orders over $89

Yoder 640.jpg

/ All Things BBQ #45  
I started with a Walmart clearance special. It was awful to smoke anything on and became relegated to smoking over direct charcoal when we would dogs, burgers, or chicken by the pond out back.

From there the wife bought me a Masterbuilt electric smoker. Did a decent job of cooking better bbq with little effort. But I decided it still didn’t hit the spot compared to bbq I had tasted.

My next purchase was an Oklahoma Joes Highland offset reverse flow smoker. The BBQ game improved tremendously with wood splits vs electric with chips or charcoal. In the years since I started cooking for our local VA and some school related events to earn some extra cash.

Since that wasn’t enough I have since purchased a drum smoker which does a pretty good job, and a Masterbuilt gravity feed smoker that I would rate maybe a 5/10. I would recommend either for a beginner who doesn’t want to tend a fire, but for great bbq flavor I always go back to the offset smoker as the others just don’t create the same depth of flavors and amazing bark as my offset.

Haven’t purchased any new smokers since the Masterbuilt gravity smoker and will probably sell it and the drum as I rarely use them anymore. For me it is offset all the way.

Luckily the few neighbors we have around love to bbq as well and they all love to compete. Until my bbq became their wives and kids favorite.
FullSizeRender-compressed.jpeg
IMG_0251.jpeg
IMG_0161.jpeg

Last edited:
   / All Things BBQ #46  
To me, BBQ has to be authentic, cooked over real wood. It can be pit, offset, egg, etc. It just needs to be something that requires some amount tending.

I'm cooking a steak tonight. I think I've gone all over the map with cooking steaks. At home, I've been sticking with a marinated steak cooked in a cast iron skillet over my built-in patio burner. At deer camp, I do rubbed steaks over a mesquite grill. Every time I cook a steak, I'm trying to make it the most recent "best". I've come to the conclusion that success is directly proportional to the quality of the steak cut.

/ All Things BBQ #47  
Wolverine,
You need to share that baked bean recipe. That looks good! I always like trying new recipes.

I travel all the time and I have a really good meal per diem, so I've become a real foodie. When I'm home, I love trying some new things. My wife and kids aren't as culinary adventurous as I am, so it tempers some of the things I try. But I still come up with some meals that are family favorites.

Eventually, I want to compile a cookbook/photobook to leave my kids, that has all our great memories and meals in one place.

/ All Things BBQ #48  
Sure the beans are easy
1 can dark kidney beans drained
1 can light kidney beans drained
1 can black beans drained
1 can navy beans drained
1 medium size yellow onion diced
4-5 strips of bacon (sub pulled pork or chopped brisket if you have some leftovers to use)
10-12 ounces of bbq sauce
1 yellow and 1 red bell pepper diced (sub any bell peppers you want)
1 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon black pepper

This is what I sell. If I am cooking for family/friends I will add
2 jalapeños diced
1 teaspoon ancho chili powder

Step 1: cook bacon to a soft/chewy texture, remove and cut into 1 inch pieces

Step 2: mix everything together

Step 3: cook at whatever temp your smoker is running
4 hours at 225
3 hours at 250
2.5 hours at 275
2 hours at 300

Note: Stir a few times over the first 2 hours then cover with foil at lower temps. If your cooking at 275+ cover a little earlier.

Let it stand for maybe half an hour before serving

IMG_4818.jpeg
IMG_4822.jpeg

As far as making a recipe book for kids, the wife and I started this a few years ago and thankfully she’s a wonderful cook in the kitchen. Hope the kids take after her but I won’t complain if they want a little extra bbq help too.

Last edited:
   / All Things BBQ #50  
To me, BBQ has to be authentic, cooked over real wood. It can be pit, offset, egg, etc. It just needs to be something that requires some amount tending.

I'm cooking a steak tonight. I think I've gone all over the map with cooking steaks. At home, I've been sticking with a marinated steak cooked in a cast iron skillet over my built-in patio burner. At deer camp, I do rubbed steaks over a mesquite grill. Every time I cook a steak, I'm trying to make it the most recent "best". I've come to the conclusion that success is directly proportional to the quality of the steak cut.
gsganzer have you attended one of The BBQ Breathern Bashes? More often than not it's on Ray Roberts near Pilot Point but always along IH35. Oops you missed the Spring 2024 April 6 but a Fall get together will soon start taking shape. I haven't gone over there last two years due to achy bones and bad eyes. You'll never have opportunity to taste more examples and have more people taste yours and maybe swap pocket knives.