Air filter

/ Air filter #1  

Brady D

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1910, Case farmall 95, John Deere 317g
I was working on my ford 1910 and had to remove the air filter hose to remove the radiator and I noticed that the inside of the hose, air filter housing after the filter ,and manifold all had a layer of dust I don’t think there is any air leaks and the filter is new is it normal for it to let that much through the filter

/ Air filter #2  
No it is not normal. Either your air filter is not seating in the housing or you may have pinhole leak in the hose. That design is pretty poor as you have to pull the air cleaner hose out of the way to get the radiator cleanout screen out. Easy to get the corner of that screen to put a hole in the hose

/ Air filter
No it is not normal. Either your air filter is not seating in the housing or you may have pinhole leak in the hose. That design is pretty poor as you have to pull the air cleaner hose out of the way to get the radiator cleanout screen out. Easy to get the corner of that screen to put a hole in the hose
How would I go about finding the hole or seeing if the filter is seating correctly

Last edited:
   / Air filter #5  
You just have to inspect everything very closely. You could take the hose off, and should anyway, fill it with water and see if there are any leaks in the hose. If there are not, at least you will wash the dust out of it. My suspicion is that there is a hole in it or there is a loose clamp causing the hose not to seat over the air filter or manifold correctly.

/ Air filter #6  
Does your tractor have a single or dual air filter setup? Someone may have forgotten to install the secondary filter, and fine dust that passes by the primary filter is what that is for.

/ Air filter #7  
Does your tractor have a single or dual air filter setup? Someone may have forgotten to install the secondary filter, and fine dust that passes by the primary filter is what that is for.
Actually, the secondary filter inside the primary air filter is there as a safeguard against primary filter failure. One thing I do with my units is, I wipe the inside of the cannisters with an oily rag. That imparts a coating of oil and that helps catch and fine debris.

/ Air filter #8  
How would I go about finding the hole or seeing if the filter is seating correctly

Smoke.

Put a smoke source before the air intake and see where the smoke exits from down stream from the filter.

/ Air filter #9  
Actually, the secondary filter inside the primary air filter is there as a safeguard against primary filter failure. One thing I do with my units is, I wipe the inside of the cannisters with an oily rag. That imparts a coating of oil and that helps catch and fine debris.

I thought that's what I said..LOL :unsure:

/ Air filter
Mine uses the big cylinder type ones I don’t know of a secondary filter