Air Compressor Performance

/ Air Compressor Performance #21  
Me either but why wait until things fail, if we could easily see a decline in their performance before failure..when you require it?
My Quincy uses no oil and like my tractors, it gets serviced regularly and I run an K&N air filter on both compressors. I use Mobil Rarus compressor oil btw. Never had the Quincy apart but it probably could use a Swedish valve de-carboning and cleaning and the poppet valves cleaned as well. I'm a Quincy and Saylor Beal fan, always have been.

/ Air Compressor Performance #22  
Being a newbee at compressors, if the run time is getting longer and longer does that mean the rings are wearing out? The owner manual says nothing about routine oil changes........It only recommends using 40 weight summer and 10 weight winter...non-detergent....which I never do since it is used mostly in mild spring-summer-fall weather

My Coleman belt drive 4.5 HP 26 gallon is almost 30 years old. It is used mostly for cleaning other equipment. It does seem to take longer to "fill" than years gone by.

I'm not opposed to changing to an appropriate oil however.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Air Compressor Performance #23  
have a higher end 2 stage Campbell Hausman that has oil reservoir. It sits in a covered porch. what's the min ambient temp it can operate w/o damage to pump, etc? 40F? am using 10/30 mobil 1 syn as recommended by manual

/ Air Compressor Performance #24  
I have run my IR on only 3 maintenance oil changes in 20+ years. But it's in a heated garage. It still hits it's rated CFM with nothing done maintenance-wise but an electric motor change, air filter changes and the couple of oil changes after the original break-in oil change. I don't like today's IR though. A Quincy with pressure lube is a hell of a good compressor.

/ Air Compressor Performance #25  
I was quite taken back when I found out that IR compressor heads were made in India, but then Cummins blocks are cast there as well.

/ Air Compressor Performance #26  
A Quincy with pressure lube is a hell of a good compressor.
Yes they are and beat splash lubrication, hands down plus you have the extra advantage of lube filtering. Looking at them today, they certainly not a cheap date either.

My Quincy has a 7.5 horse Century triple capacitor motor, made in USA as well and the motor has grease fittings on each end of the armature shaft.

The Quincy will outlast me and I'm sure will bring top buck when my wife sells it.

/ Air Compressor Performance #27  
have a higher end 2 stage Campbell Hausman that has oil reservoir. It sits in a covered porch. what's the min ambient temp it can operate w/o damage to pump, etc? 40F? am using 10/30 mobil 1 syn as recommended by manual

That must also be a pressure lubed pump with filtration?
Correct?

Any splash lubed compressor I have seen specifically recommends Against detergent Oils. That will suspend the metal particulates and run them through all the moving parts versus settling out in the bottom of the sump.

/ Air Compressor Performance #28  
could be, not sure. manual recommends non detergent 30w but also mentions full synthetic M1 10/30. the manual also mentions not to operate compressor below 40F ambient temp. my question is what is the consensus on that temp for operation, regards

/ Air Compressor Performance #29  
My compressor is different than yours, but I know that I have run mine below 40 Deg F....with 40 weight oil Don't think that it did any damage.......it still works OK. Just below 40 deg it is just slow getting up to speed.

Yet, the increase in "fill time" might because of such wear and tear.?? :unsure: :unsure:

Cheers,
Mike

/ Air Compressor Performance #30  
That must also be a pressure lubed pump with filtration?
Correct?
Far as I know of, no Campbell Hausfeld compressor has pressure lube, only splash and again, I only use Mobile Rarus compressor oil in my Quincy and Sulliaire and it's non detergent. I also use it in my pressure washer pump's crankcase. PW pumps all call out a non detergent oil