654 temp gauge

/ 654 temp gauge #1  

steve tym

Gold Member
Tractor
TYM
New to the forum, hello.
Also new T654 in the yard.
Apparently it doesn't have a temp gauge. Anybody figure out how to resolve this?

/ 654 temp gauge #2  
Welcome to TBN and to the TYM pages. My T574 has a temp warning light. In my experience, a gauge is not all that necessary. Proper maintenance and operation should be good. The light will go off when it gets too warm.

/ 654 temp gauge #3  
No temp sensor? I like seeing what the motor is doing while working her hard. The legacy Branson models have this

/ 654 temp gauge #4  
There is a sensor, just not a gauge. Those gauges sit in the middle until they don't. The light comes on when the temp gets above normal. To me, it is the same as me noticing a gauge is above normal. Frankly, I think the light is more likely to be noticed. YMMV.

/ 654 temp gauge #5  
Its sort of nice to see an impending problem, before it's a problem. On the jet we have impending bypass sensors to allow us to make choices before we are bypassing filters for example. Trends are nice to see. I've never operated a tractor that didn't have a gauge. 🤷‍♂️

/ 654 temp gauge #6  
Lol. On the jet, problems are more likely to be fatal. My brother was an aircraft maintenance officer in the USAF. I flew with my uncle and an old boss in little Cessnas. One of my former employees lost his life because the aircraft he was flying did not make it back to the airport.

Sorry for the deviation. Your post reminded me of Tate. I was honored to be one of the people that was asked to give background interviews for his USAF commission. (Basically, part of his Security Clearance). He was a good kid and gone way too soon.

/ 654 temp gauge #7  
I agree with having a gauge. These smaller radiators and the dusty environment make overheating likely. Usually by the time a light is activated and noticed damage is done.

There was a thread about this before but I don’t remember the outcome. I would be looking to add a aftermarket temp gauge. You can get a mechanical type and have more accurate measurements. It should be fairly simple to add one.

/ 654 temp gauge #8  
This is the thread I was thinking of. No resolution though.

/ 654 temp gauge
More important (not really) than overheating is knowing when the tractor is up to temp to start putting a heavy load on the engine.

The smaller tractor with the exact same dash panel has a temp gauge and speedo, but not the same engine manufacturer. The dealer is working on a resolve, but to date has come up with nothing.

Yes, aftermarket would be a fairly straight ordeal.

/ 654 temp gauge #10  
I would certainly want a temp gauge.

I do a bunch of mowing for hire in season. Have to keep an eye on the engine temp to let me know when it's time to stop and blow out the radiator and coolers.

OP, I would add an aftermarket mechanical gauge. Should be very easy to do.