Rotary Cutter 60" or 72" for 27 PTO HP?

/ 60" or 72" for 27 PTO HP? #21  
I have two 6' rotary cutters, IF I put a 27 pto tractor in front of either one, and got into any taller grass, the tractor would overheat.

Been there tried that!

SR
There's a saying about putting a silver studded parade saddle on a jackass. Are you saying this would be like draping draft horse harness on a Shetland pony ? 🐎

/ 60" or 72" for 27 PTO HP? #22  
Do some measuring on whatever implement you consider. A 72" brush hog only makes about a 66" cut because there is about a three-inch gap between the ends of the blades and the housing of the machine. I wouldn't put spacers on my rear wheels for flat ground brush hogging. I did widen the stance on my JD 4230 because it came to me set up for row crop work using duals. The outside duals had been removed and the remaining two tires were just clearing the cab. The dealer had added a front-end loader. I was concerned about side to side stability. I think that a lot of the add ons to new tractors are the result of watching too many Youtube videos of people with dubious experience dispensing advice on must have accessories for weekend farmers/ranchers. A lot of the stuff looks really handy but real life use is limited and a return on investment is a joke. If I had a hilly terrain, I definitely would set my tractor up to be as wide as possible. Flat terrain, why spend the money?

There is actually another option. Buy some livestock to do the mowing for you. Livestock will trim right up to and a little beyond your fences and trees. You won't have to put hours on your tractor and will have free time to do more productive things than mowing for the sake of mowing.

/ 60" or 72" for 27 PTO HP? #23  
Some of you guys are just hilarious...

/ 60" or 72" for 27 PTO HP?
Thank you everyone for the help. I ended up going with the 5' and didn't get spacers. My land is flat so I was only getting spacers out of an abundance of caution.

/ 60" or 72" for 27 PTO HP?
Do some measuring on whatever implement you consider. A 72" brush hog only makes about a 66" cut because there is about a three-inch gap between the ends of the blades and the housing of the machine. I wouldn't put spacers on my rear wheels for flat ground brush hogging. I did widen the stance on my JD 4230 because it came to me set up for row crop work using duals. The outside duals had been removed and the remaining two tires were just clearing the cab. The dealer had added a front-end loader. I was concerned about side to side stability. I think that a lot of the add ons to new tractors are the result of watching too many Youtube videos of people with dubious experience dispensing advice on must have accessories for weekend farmers/ranchers. A lot of the stuff looks really handy but real life use is limited and a return on investment is a joke. If I had a hilly terrain, I definitely would set my tractor up to be as wide as possible. Flat terrain, why spend the money?

There is actually another option. Buy some livestock to do the mowing for you. Livestock will trim right up to and a little beyond your fences and trees. You won't have to put hours on your tractor and will have free time to do more productive things than mowing for the sake of mowing.
The longer term plan is sheep and/or goats. I definitely don't want to have to mow. That's one reason I decided to get the 5', since I hopefully won't have to mess with it too long. To me the small amount additional cost for spacers was a "why not" option for added safety, but this issue answered the question and I'm not getting them.

/ 60" or 72" for 27 PTO HP? #26  
Do some measuring on whatever implement you consider. A 72" brush hog only makes about a 66" cut because there is about a three-inch gap between the ends of the blades and the housing of the machine.
I would do more research. Bush Hog brand, for example, specifically cites cutting widths. The 100 series has 44", 56" and 68". The 200 series, however uses more typical 60", 72", etc.

While it is true the device is wider that its cutting width, a lot of brands market the cutting width and the device is actually a few inches wider.

/ 60" or 72" for 27 PTO HP? #27  
I'm buying a Yanmar YT235. It will be my first tractor and I would like some opinions on what size rotary cutter/brush hog to buy.

The dealership has Ironcraft(aka Titan) and the 72" is rated for 30-50 PTO HP. The tractor has 27.

My problem is that I'm getting wheel spacers(I don't like how narrow these newer tractors are, especially since I'm getting a cab) so the 60" won't cover the footprint.

I'm assuming these manufacturers are rounding up required horsepower(to cover their butts and for a nice round number), but there's no way to know. Do you guys think I'll be ok with the 6 footer?

Alternatively, I could get a 5 footer and adjust the 3 point to run it to one side. I'd need to get it 4ish inches over to cover the wheel, though I'd like to get it further it possible. I've seen older threads talking about doing this but no one has said exactly how far they've managed to move it over. I know it will vary by tractor, but I wonder what I could reasonably expect?

I'd really prefer the 6' option, but I also want it to work properly.

Thanks!
Depending on what you are mowing and how you land lays, Maybe go with med duty 6 ft cutter and be sure to have extra ballast up front? Ken Sweet

/ 60" or 72" for 27 PTO HP? #28  
If you want to cu
I'm buying a Yanmar YT235. It will be my first tractor and I would like some opinions on what size rotary cutter/brush hog to buy.

The dealership has Ironcraft(aka Titan) and the 72" is rated for 30-50 PTO HP. The tractor has 27.

My problem is that I'm getting wheel spacers(I don't like how narrow these newer tractors are, especially since I'm getting a cab) so the 60" won't cover the footprint.

I'm assuming these manufacturers are rounding up required horsepower(to cover their butts and for a nice round number), but there's no way to know. Do you guys think I'll be ok with the 6 footer?

Alternatively, I could get a 5 footer and adjust the 3 point to run it to one side. I'd need to get it 4ish inches over to cover the wheel, though I'd like to get it further it possible. I've seen older threads talking about doing this but no one has said exactly how far they've managed to move it over. I know it will vary by tractor, but I wonder what I could reasonably expect?

I'd really prefer the 6' option, but I also want it to work properly.

Thanks!

You are going to need 50-60HP to do a 6' cut of grass for hay.

Mulcher is going to need more - most commercial mulcher operators run closer to 20HP per cut foot (ie 8' cut needs 160-200HP)

However a lot depends on what you are cutting. You will struggle if its much more than lawn / light grass with 27HP PTO.

BTW a bush hog is a wild pig LOL

/ 60" or 72" for 27 PTO HP? #29  
I use a 6' Landpride rotary cutter behind my 33hp diesel MF 1533. It's 20 years old so has a heavier frame than its successors being sold today. I can mow 7 acres of this stuff in about 4 hours IF it is fairly dry. If it is wet and lush, then add at least another 2 hours because I have to drop down a gear or two or even take partial cuts to get it as low as I like it. I think you will be happy with your choice of a 5-footer.

Attachments

• 2011-08-22 view towards the North end of field from tractor cab while mowing field-2.jpg
    2011-08-22 view towards the North end of field from tractor cab while mowing field-2.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 2013-08-10 Bush hogging trails for go-kart in Dad's pasture-2.jpg
    2013-08-10 Bush hogging trails for go-kart in Dad's pasture-2.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 47
   / 60" or 72" for 27 PTO HP? #30  
I run a 48 on 20hp Pto. I would like to go to 60” but I know it would bog down way to often in tall grass. Plus I do get into small trees (up to 2” dia) when hire to do so. Wider would also reduce my travel speed in many situations. I’m not sure you should worry about being wider than the tires unless you need to get to the edge of a fence or something. The tires will push tall grass over so it won’t cut those really well anyway. I’d go with the 60