Rotary Cutter 60" or 72" for 27 PTO HP?

/ 60" or 72" for 27 PTO HP? #41  
Not a stalker but makes sense.

/ 60" or 72" for 27 PTO HP? #42  
I run A 60 INCH LANDPRIDE ON MY L2800 KUBOTA 25 PTO HP. It cuts well in thick grass and light brush. I also run a 72 finishing mower on the same machine. It handle that ok too except going up a hill with step grass. Then the rpm go down a bit. THe big thing with the 60 inch brush hog is the weight. My front end gets light.

/ 60" or 72" for 27 PTO HP? #43  
Flat land and tallish grass/hay cut a few times a year is easy work for a tractor. I have a 72" titan rotary cutter I run it pretty hard too. Tall grass is the easiest job I do. The 72" cutter is pretty heavy, so consider that but I'd go with the larger cutter since flat ground and just grass cutting.
If that's all I did with the cutter I'd probably go with a finish cutter, but thats just me.

/ 60" or 72" for 27 PTO HP? #44  
The last thing you want to do is overheat your tractor running something that is too big. Especially if mowing in summer heat. I would stick with the smaller brush hog and not risk it.

/ 60" or 72" for 27 PTO HP? #45  
So many people on these sites like to make recommendations either countering or second guessing the manufacturers. There is a reason certain implements are rated for certain tractors. Why not just stick with the design parameters? In the case of the rotary mower question, if someone on this site said they routinely use an 84 inch rotary cutter behind their 25 HP tractor, would that make you want a larger one? I personally believe any use of any equipment outside of the manufacturers guidelines is foolish and unsafe. That is why we have so many warnings on everything now.

/ 60" or 72" for 27 PTO HP? #46  
I see how some people run equipment… I wouldn’t take someone’s advice just because they do it 😁

/ 60" or 72" for 27 PTO HP? #47  
If you want to cu

You are going to need 50-60HP to do a 6' cut of grass for hay.
I’ve cut lots of hay with a Ford 2n and a 7’ sickle mower, so that statement is not accurate. 🥸

Also, today there are drum mowers that cut with low HP too.

I think you’re right about the other HP / weight concerns.

Last edited:
   / 60" or 72" for 27 PTO HP? #48  
Thanks for the laughs, fellas!

/ 60" or 72" for 27 PTO HP? #49  
Thanks for the laughs, fellas!
I have run a 48 inch Land Pride light duty rotary mower on a BX 23 fairly often. BX engine rated 16.7 PTO HP. Works OK for most uses. Will cut 4 foot brush and heavy grass but you must slow down a bit or take a partial cut. However, the mower is not struggling to cut when you take about a 40 inch cut width.

The factory recommended rotary mower size is 42 inches for the BX23.

FYI B21 1.0 L., 21 Gross HP, 13.5 PTO HP, at 2600 RPM. BX23 0.9 L., 22 Gross HP, 16.7 PTO HP, at 3200 RPM.

The transmission in the BX23 is hydrostatic, two speed. Not sure why the B21 PTO rated HP is so low compared to the BX23, but it sounds as if you would need a 42 inch maximum mower size.

Last edited:
   / 60" or 72" for 27 PTO HP? #50  
I've run a 9' NH 479 easily with my 22 h.p. yanmar. It's a sickle type. And I easily run 72 & 76" front grooming mowers with my 24 hp JD F-935 and F-1435 diesels.
The 935 with the 76" rear discharge does very well in tall (15") hay & weed fields. Leaves a nice windrow behind it. However, the 72" side discharge has a problem with chute plugging, so it's hard eveb with several passes: The chaff is still there.

I believe you can adjust ground speed to handle the 72, but picking it up is probably going to be a problem. Even with a tail-wheel. And, the make is an issue, too, because heavy duty vs. light duty units are available from quite a number of sources. In a big field, that extra 12" of deck width adds up to less time spent, not fuel savings so much.

Why not ask to try out 60 vs. 72 vs. 84 ? My 84" woods rear mower takes all of the 35 h.p. in my JD 1070. Sharp blades and rear discharge included.

• Good Post
Reactions: bgr