Rotary Cutter 60" or 72" for 27 PTO HP?

/ 60" or 72" for 27 PTO HP? #31  
I'm buying a Yanmar YT235. It will be my first tractor and I would like some opinions on what size rotary cutter/brush hog to buy.

The dealership has Ironcraft(aka Titan) and the 72" is rated for 30-50 PTO HP. The tractor has 27.

My problem is that I'm getting wheel spacers(I don't like how narrow these newer tractors are, especially since I'm getting a cab) so the 60" won't cover the footprint.

I'm assuming these manufacturers are rounding up required horsepower(to cover their butts and for a nice round number), but there's no way to know. Do you guys think I'll be ok with the 6 footer?

Alternatively, I could get a 5 footer and adjust the 3 point to run it to one side. I'd need to get it 4ish inches over to cover the wheel, though I'd like to get it further it possible. I've seen older threads talking about doing this but no one has said exactly how far they've managed to move it over. I know it will vary by tractor, but I wonder what I could reasonably expect?

I'd really prefer the 6' option, but I also want it to work properly.

Thanks!
I have YT235. No cab. I ordered at set of BORA wheel spacers before it was delivered to the dealer. When it arrived both front and rear wheel were set “in”, when the wheels were set out there was no need for spacers. They sit on my shelf. All education is expensive.

Attachments

• IMG_1954.jpeg
    IMG_1954.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 59
   / 60" or 72" for 27 PTO HP? #32  
Buy bigger pay more for repairs

/ 60" or 72" for 27 PTO HP? #33  
First, if the mower is too heavy for your tractor, you are not going to like mowing with it. Even if you have the Hp to pull a large rotary mower and cut fine with it, it will be a problem unless you are on super flat ground.

A larger rotary will gouge more when you mow unless your mow area is perfectly flat.

A 5' rotary mower is going to work better for most people. Also, while the 5hp/ft of rotary mower is a pretty standard metric, also consider the size of the bucket on your tractor. If you don't have a big loader bucket, you don't want a big rotary mower either.

/ 60" or 72" for 27 PTO HP? #34  
I bought a B21 kubota thinking i could take the backhoe off and use a brush cutter to keep a six acre lot mowed, but the pto hp is only 13 with hydro drive so i am wondering if even a 48” would be too much. I am needing to keep that six acres from growing back after clearing it, but re-growth saplings i would pull, not cut. Any wisdom would be appreciated!

/ 60" or 72" for 27 PTO HP? #35  
I'm buying a Yanmar YT235. It will be my first tractor and I would like some opinions on what size rotary cutter/brush hog to buy.

The dealership has Ironcraft(aka Titan) and the 72" is rated for 30-50 PTO HP. The tractor has 27.

My problem is that I'm getting wheel spacers(I don't like how narrow these newer tractors are, especially since I'm getting a cab) so the 60" won't cover the footprint.

I'm assuming these manufacturers are rounding up required horsepower(to cover their butts and for a nice round number), but there's no way to know. Do you guys think I'll be ok with the 6 footer?

Alternatively, I could get a 5 footer and adjust the 3 point to run it to one side. I'd need to get it 4ish inches over to cover the wheel, though I'd like to get it further it possible. I've seen older threads talking about doing this but no one has said exactly how far they've managed to move it over. I know it will vary by tractor, but I wonder what I could reasonably expect?

I'd really prefer the 6' option, but I also want it to work properly.

Thanks!
If you are buying new and haven't already, look at flail mowers.

/ 60" or 72" for 27 PTO HP? #36  
I bought a B21 kubota thinking i could take the backhoe off and use a brush cutter to keep a six acre lot mowed, but the pto hp is only 13 with hydro drive so i am wondering if even a 48” would be too much. I am needing to keep that six acres from growing back after clearing it, but re-growth saplings i would pull, not cut. Any wisdom would be appreciated!
We stock a 40 inch TRI Rotary Cutter priced at $1595 with free business shipping.

/ 60" or 72" for 27 PTO HP? #37  
I have run a 5 foot bush hog type mower on a 32 pto HP gear transmission Kubota for many years. If I am mowing heavy growth grass 2 feet tall, that is all that 32 HP can do, and I slow to a walk or less.
Same for brush 4 feet high. I would say that a 6 foot bush hog would only work for you if you cut grass every two or three weeks. Most of the time you will not like it because you will have to go so slow.
Also, you need to consider the weight of the mower as a 3 point attachment. A decent quality 6 foot mower might be a little too heavy for your tractor. Check the machine weight compared to the weight of the mower. I would worry if my attachment was more than one quarter of the tractor machine weight. A rotary mower has a lot of its weight far behind the PTO arm ends. That can throw you around if you are mowing on a side hill and/or need to raise the mower deck. Perhaps others can comment on the safe weight ratio based on their experience.

Also, look at a flail before you buy.

Last edited:
   / 60" or 72" for 27 PTO HP? #38  
The unwritten rule of thumb is get a cutter that covers the tire track of your tractor. Sure you might be able to use a wider cutter but it might not work the best for you and your tractor.

/ 60" or 72" for 27 PTO HP? #39  
You want to be able to cut along side a fence line my dealer said.

/ 60" or 72" for 27 PTO HP? #40  
You want to be able to cut along side a fence line my dealer said.
Is your dealer a stalker? Maybe you don't have a fence line. Dealer should ask, not tell. Next time you see him, tell him I said so. :)