5203 Starting Problems

/ 5203 Starting Problems #1  

bhill2625

Tractor
John Deere 5203
When turning the key, the starter will not engage. However, if I bypass or jump the starter relay it does engage the starter.

Things I have tried:
  • I checked the fuses and they are all good. This model does not have a fuse for the starter relay, which I see a lot of reference to in other posts.
  • I did not disconnect the temp switch / sensor as I'm not blowing fuses like many others have described.
  • Tried a new starter relay and still have the same problem.
I've read that maybe a neutral safety switch or PTO safety switch could be the problem here. Any idea where these are located on this model?

If anyone has advice, please chime in.

/ 5203 Starting Problems #2  
Is voltage making it to the coil (small wire) of the starter relay when the key is turned?
If it is, then the relay is the problem.
If not, something upstream. Like the key switch, or safety switches, or another relay.
I don’t know if that tractor has a seat switch, clutch switch, or neutral switch that needs to be satisfied before starting, but there may be the PTO off switch that should be checked.

/ 5203 Starting Problems #3  
I'm thinking neutral safety switch. have you tried to jumper passed it ( besides jumping past all the safety circuits)?

/ 5203 Starting Problems #4  
It does indeed sound like a safety switch. The PTO must be disengaged, an operator sitting on the seat, and the clutch depressed. It may also need to be in neutral. As far as physical switch locations, I haven't a clue on your tractor.

/ 5203 Starting Problems
Is voltage making it to the coil (small wire) of the starter relay when the key is turned?
If it is, then the relay is the problem.
If not, something upstream. Like the key switch, or safety switches, or another relay.
I don’t know if that tractor has a seat switch, clutch switch, or neutral switch that needs to be satisfied before starting, but there may be the PTO off switch that should be checked.
Thanks for the response.

I checked the voltage and getting a 0 reading. So, guess I will keep looking for these other switches.

If anyone knows where these switches are, please post that.

Thanks!

/ 5203 Starting Problems
I'm thinking neutral safety switch. have you tried to jumper passed it ( besides jumping past all the safety circuits)?
I havent tried that yet, but will as soon as I can locate the darn thing.

/ 5203 Starting Problems #7  
Have you looked at the right side shifter? Below the tin cover, on the outboard side and just below the boot. Is there a wire harness connector there?

The PTO switch should be on the other side, somewhere near the point where the PTO engagement lever pivots. It will be actuated by the associated linkages.

/ 5203 Starting Problems
Have you looked at the right side shifter? Below the tin cover, on the outboard side and just below the boot. Is there a wire harness connector there?

The PTO switch should be on the other side, somewhere near the point where the PTO engagement lever pivots. It will be actuated by the associated linkages.
Hi Harry,

Yes, I found the neutral switch hiding in plain sight on the right side below the range shifter.

Also, found the PTO limit switch on the linkage over on the left side.

Man, I hope it's the neutral switch because I dont want to have to figure out how to short the PTO switch for testing. That bad boy has a bunch of wires and not sure which ones feed the safety circuit.

Thank you all for the input here!

/ 5203 Starting Problems #9  
Maybe the attached file of the 5203 starting system will help.

Attachments

• 5203 Starting System.pdf
    102.2 KB · Views: 165
   / 5203 Starting Problems #10  
Looking at the diagram, it’s easy to see how there’s a ‘start relay’ that needs to be satisfied by the PTO and neutral switch. On my tractor, which I think is a rebadged version of these, to an extent, the relays are behind the dash panel.

I’ve never understood how the bypass relay, fuel shutoff relay, and diode pack are suppose to work on this diagram.

Edit:
It appears the ‘bypass relay’ is a check to the ‘start relay’ malfunctioning, or more likely, to block somebody at the starter with a screwdriver bypassing the start relay circuit and shorting directly to the starter solenoid. They could still do that, and tractor would turn over, but it gets no fuel.
That is, if “blue wire 309” and starter solenoid terminal “S” has voltage on it when it “shouldn’t” (like when a screwdriver is from battery terminal “B” to solenoid terminal “S”), then the ‘bypass relay’ is NOT energized, unlike the diagram, and the fuel shutoff relay gets energized, dropping out the fuel solenoid. The fuel solenoid will then stay locked out until the key switch is cycled back through the “Off” position.

Motor will still turn over, and you can still run yourself over if tractor is in gear, but engine gets no fuel to start when bypassing starter circuit.

How is that safer? Or am I missing something and misinterpreted diagram?

Last edited: