3-Point Hitch 5203 3 point hitch problem

/ 5203 3 point hitch problem #1  

JKNY

Tractor
JD 5105 mfwd, ford 4000,960,NAA, Oliver 770
I have a 2006 5203 with approx. 135 hrs on it. It is used primarily for haying, with not much 3 pt hitch work. Recently I tried to lower the 3 pt. hitch and it would not lower. I checked the "rate of drop" valve and it was open halfway. Yesterday I decided to take that "rate of drop" valve off aand see if I could find anything wrong to cause this problem. When I removed the valve I got some hyd. oil leaking out and the lift arms dropped. I replaced the valve , started the tractor and tried the 3 pt. It lifted fine, but once again the lift arms stayed up . I removed the rate of drop valve again, leaked a little more oil, and tried with the needle valve for the rate of drop removed with the same results. This leads me to believe that my problem is elsewhere , not sure what to try next. Has anyone else had similar problems with these 5x03 tractors , and if so what did it take to fix it? I may call the dealer for advice Tues. It makes me mad in a way because this condition was probably there last year when I put the tractor away for the winter, and I didnt notice it as I didnt use the 3 point at all last fall and my warranty expired last Dec. Thanks in Advance.

/ 5203 3 point hitch problem #2  
I have a 2006 5203 with approx. 135 hrs on it. It is used primarily for haying, with not much 3 pt hitch work. Recently I tried to lower the 3 pt. hitch and it would not lower. I checked the "rate of drop" valve and it was open halfway. Yesterday I decided to take that "rate of drop" valve off aand see if I could find anything wrong to cause this problem. When I removed the valve I got some hyd. oil leaking out and the lift arms dropped. I replaced the valve , started the tractor and tried the 3 pt. It lifted fine, but once again the lift arms stayed up . I removed the rate of drop valve again, leaked a little more oil, and tried with the needle valve for the rate of drop removed with the same results. This leads me to believe that my problem is elsewhere , not sure what to try next. Has anyone else had similar problems with these 5x03 tractors , and if so what did it take to fix it? I may call the dealer for advice Tues. It makes me mad in a way because this condition was probably there last year when I put the tractor away for the winter, and I didnt notice it as I didnt use the 3 point at all last fall and my warranty expired last Dec. Thanks in Advance.

it could be a number of things. i agree with you about calling your dealer and running the problem by him. this seems to be a common problem with the older 5x03 tractors(2003-2007) but once this problem gets fixed you never hear about it again. did you change your hyd filter during the 100 hour service?

/ 5203 3 point hitch problem
Thanks for your reply. I had not heard of this problem before on these tractors. Other than this I am satisfied with this tractor. Filter changed last spring approx 80 hrs.

/ 5203 3 point hitch problem #4  
Thanks for your reply. I had not heard of this problem before on these tractors. Other than this I am satisfied with this tractor. Filter changed last spring approx 80 hrs.

The 3 point problem with the 5X03 seems to be relatively common. It seems to be a quick fix, but it can be frustrating.

D.

/ 5203 3 point hitch problem
Thanks for answering.I wonder just what causes this problem and what it would take to fix it. I havent had a chance to call the dealer yet.

/ 5203 3 point hitch problem #6  
My 2005 5103 did the same thing, the mechanic said some trash around the piston caused the piston to lock? it cost me about $100 to fix. he said it is common w/ these tractors but once it is fixed it usually does not happen again. i do not know where the trash came from, i changed the filter @ 100 hrs and the tractor has only 160 hrs on it. the fluid looked clean too. mine stayed up and would not bleed down at all. i'm sorry i can't give you more detail i wasn't there when he fixed it. i,m guessing the trash had something to do with break in but i am not sure.

/ 5203 3 point hitch problem #7  
My 2005 5103 did the same thing, the mechanic said some trash around the piston caused the piston to lock? it cost me about $100 to fix. he said it is common w/ these tractors but once it is fixed it usually does not happen again. i do not know where the trash came from, i changed the filter @ 100 hrs and the tractor has only 160 hrs on it. the fluid looked clean too. mine stayed up and would not bleed down at all. i'm sorry i can't give you more detail i wasn't there when he fixed it. i,m guessing the trash had something to do with break in but i am not sure.
Can you show me a pic of the area where the valve is. Is it the one under the seat or the lever valve under the tank??

/ 5203 3 point hitch problem #8  
2005 JD 5203 My problem is the 3 point arms won't go down. I have taken the end of valve off under the right side of the seat--where rate of drop adj. is. I could see nothing dirty or broken here. did this twice--same results---still won't go down. With end of valve off & slowly letting the arms down manually, they will go down---oil is forced out of rate of drop adj. valve hole. There is no problem with it raising & picking up an implement

/ 5203 3 point hitch problem #9  
2005 JD 5203 My problem is the 3 point arms won't go down. I have taken the end of valve off under the right side of the seat--where rate of drop adj. is. I could see nothing dirty or broken here. did this twice--same results---still won't go down. With end of valve off & slowly letting the arms down manually, they will go down---oil is forced out of rate of drop adj. valve hole. There is no problem with it raising & picking up an implement

I have the same year 5103. Had same issue. Dealer took it apart and it had some trash in it. Cost about $250. Said it was common in the 03 series.

/ 5203 3 point hitch problem #10  
Maybe being an India build? Wonder if there is a screen filter that picks up that trash? or where that trash resides?