4500P vs 4500Z, any experience to help choose which one?

/ 4500P vs 4500Z, any experience to help choose which one? #1  

skcncx

Tractor
Ventrac 4500P
Any advice on picking either the 4500P or a 4500Z? I'm about to purchase either a new 4500P or 4500Z (demo unit 11 hours)

Any real noticeable difference for those that have seat time in both?

The 2 big deciding factors for some would be the continuous 30 degree mowing of the 4500P or the larger alternator of the 4500Z (for heated cab, etc.) . Neither are deal breakers for me, hence my dilemma. I'm only using it for 6 acre mowing, 300 ft driveway for snow, landscaping and yard maintenance for residential use over the next several years

Both have the same ratings, lift capacity etc...

4500P
- No choke necessary (maybe better for my wife and father in-law who plan to mow, no choke is a "little" more turn and go.
- Better fuel economy, though only 25%
- Supposedly a little quieter from talking directly to Ventrac, but they said it was negligible. Ear plugs either engine. I've only hear the Z, have no real comparison for P.

4500Z
- 3 cylinder, seems like each has to work a little less hard than the 2 cylinder Kawasaki "P"
- 3.5 ft-lbf higher torque on spec sheet indicate
- seems more popular but I also see the "P" on several of their demo videos.
- 60 amp alternator vs 30 amp on "P"... but that really only matters if you tax the system with all the heated cab and light options, none of which I every will do.

Attachments will be 72" mower, slip scoop, possibly the grapple in future, dozer and one day the broom.

I do plan to get the 3 point hitch, though with no PTO, it's pretty limited.

I'm leaning toward the 4500P with Kawasaki engine. The dealer for this one has been easier to work with, though the deal for the 4500Z demo unit has been ok as well. They just tend to run higher prices for service. Both are local and minutes away which is good.

Thanks for any input!

/ 4500P vs 4500Z, any experience to help choose which one? #2  
Welcome to TBN.

I had some comments about the 30 degree slope rating of the 4500P in post #51 of this thread:
https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...244-advice-mowing-sloped-rough-terrain-6.html

Here are some other threads discussing Ventrac engine options, but consider the dates and whether the discussion relates to the current engines available. I'm unsure if they've changed in the last few years.
https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/ventrac/382883-ventrac-4500-engine-opinions.html
https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/ventrac/386280-kubota-gas-vs-kubota-diesel.html
https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/ventrac/389434-steiner-450-vs-ventrac-4500z.html

They are both good engines. If you don't have another piece of equipment or a vehicle that uses diesel, the 4500P becomes more attractive. I have diesel fuel on hand for a UTV, but still chose the 4500P.

Not sure you'll find anyone who posts on TBN frequently with concurrent experience of operating both engines.

Chris

/ 4500P vs 4500Z, any experience to help choose which one?
Thanks Chris,

I've seen just about every post on this site for the Ventrac and yours that you called out. My max slope is 25 degrees. No diesel for me, just between the 4500Z gas kubota or 4500P Kawasaki.

Oddly, though purely preference, 4500P with fuel injection, better fuel economy, no carb/choke to deal with may be the tipping point.

--Scott

Thanks Murph.

I'll check it out.

I wish I didn't have a choice, analysis paralysis!

/ 4500P vs 4500Z, any experience to help choose which one? #6  
Thanks Chris,

I've seen just about every post on this site for the Ventrac and yours that you called out. My max slope is 25 degrees. No diesel for me, just between the 4500Z gas kubota or 4500P Kawasaki.

Oddly, though purely preference, 4500P with fuel injection, better fuel economy, no carb/choke to deal with may be the tipping point.

--Scott

Whoops. Right you are, Scott. It's the 4500Y that is the Kubota diesel. For some reason when I see "Kubota" I just automatically think "diesel", only.

When I asked my Ventrac dealer about the engine options they said that they'd never sold a 4500Z (Kubota gasoline). Now, they are a relatively new dealer, but that was part of what steered me away from the 4500Z. Also, my wife wanted to use the machine, so DFI with no choke makes it simpler for her (hmm...the engine is still fairly warm. Do I use the choke now or not?).

I really just made my decision between diesel (the Kubota 4500Y) or gasoline (the Kawasaki 4500P). I didn't consider the air-cooled engine.

Chris

Last edited:
Yep, my experience with 2 local dealers is that one is only pushing the Z and touts is as so much better than the P and the other says, it's really your pick both are equally capable. No interest in air cooled version either.

My own opinion... the 4500Z, gas kubota for some reason is more preferred (but unsubstantiated) and therefore comes to a mostly opinionated as hands down better. Maybe Kubota is more liked and popular in the tractor world.

They are virtually the same price with same options configured.

I think it's the 4500P for me.

--Scott

/ 4500P vs 4500Z, any experience to help choose which one? #8  
I had a Steiner with the Kubota 3 cylinder Gas engine. That is one sweet running Engine. And , I have seen many repowered Steiners but never a gas or diesel Kubota. Yes, i had to fart around with the choke, which I really hate. Surprised they are still carburated.

Thanks for the input regarding the choke. It seems like a petty reason to decide Kawasaki 4500P over the Kubota 4500P, both gas versions, but it would seem to be less of an obstacle for other users who don't want to mess with it. Like a bike, once you get it, it's second nature to manage.

4500P Kawasaki - 2 cylinder, 824cc, 31 HP, 47.1 ft-lbf
4500Z Kubota vs 3, 962 cc, 32.5 HP, 50.6 ft-lbf

I think the spec sheets are partly why the 4500Z Kubota is more popular, but spec sheets aren't the full story.

Take all this with a grain of salt, I have no experience with either. I'm trying to read between the lines on dealers input. I guess the one I get will be the right one. Likely 4500P for now.

/ 4500P vs 4500Z, any experience to help choose which one? #10  
One other thing nobody talks about is that warranty on the 4500P is 3 years verses 2 years on the Kabotas...... fuel consumption is way less on the 4500P with in a .1 of a gph. more than the diesel...... jim