3 phase converter ok ?

/ 3 phase converter ok ? #41  
I think it has a lot more to do with economics. As long as the power companies can charge outrageous rates for three phase they will charge them.

That's true too. They will get away with everything they can get away with. Just like politicians and many others these days, keep pushing until it breaks.

/ 3 phase converter ok ? #42  
I am no electrical engineer so I don't know how much more efficient it will be....if any.

Maybe on the user end. But 3phase needs 3 transformers. Transformers generate heat. Heat is wasted energy. Then add three times the cost of replacement, since they will be replacing transformers 3xs more often.....in the long run....may cost more.

And in a residence....it will require more wire. Bigger breaker boxes to accommodate 3-pole breakers, larger recepticals and switches and associated boxes to accommodate the extra wiring. Not to mention. Having to pay special attention to wiring. Don't want to plug that new $1500 fridge in and have the compressor run backwards. Or worse, a $12k HVAC.

Every facet of residential wiring will be much more expensive. The only reason motors are cheaper, is because they are used in industry, so there is a very high demand. But when looking at small fractional HP motors, there really is no cost difference

/ 3 phase converter ok ? #43  
I am no electrical engineer so I don't know how much more efficient it will be....if any.

Maybe on the user end. But 3phase needs 3 transformers. Transformers generate heat. Heat is wasted energy. Then add three times the cost of replacement, since they will be replacing transformers 3xs more often.....in the long run....may cost more.

And in a residence....it will require more wire. Bigger breaker boxes to accommodate 3-pole breakers, larger recepticals and switches and associated boxes to accommodate the extra wiring. Not to mention. Having to pay special attention to wiring. Don't want to plug that new $1500 fridge in and have the compressor run backwards. Or worse, a $12k HVAC.

Every facet of residential wiring will be much more expensive. The only reason motors are cheaper, is because they are used in industry, so there is a very high demand. But when looking at small fractional HP motors, there really is no cost difference

Europe etc uses single phase 240 with one line and one neutral which is more efficient. If three of those live lines are used a 416V htree phase more can be used.
An electric heater or light bulb makes mo difference however three phase motors usually pay for them selves many times over with higher efficiency. A typical 10HP 240V single phase electric motor has higher KW and Vars than a typical 10HP, 600V three phase motor.

/ 3 phase converter ok ? #44  

In Europe 3 phase even in residential is the standard. All small load such as lights, refrigerators, fans and small motors are single phase 220V. Large motors 1 kW and up are usually three phase. There are four wires going from the grid to the house plus safety ground connected to the ground plate.

/ 3 phase converter ok ? #45  
Just make sure that the rotary phase converter is large enough, they specifically say 20+ hp can be powered. It will have a box and a 20 to 25hp 3 phase motor that actually creates the 3ph. Just looking you may need 40hp.... This is only option other than power company.