3 phase converter ok ?

/ 3 phase converter ok ? #11  
If you need clean 3phase, look up phase perfect. Pricey, but the best.

/ 3 phase converter ok ? #12  
Way back in the bad old days there wasn't anything other than rotary converters and static . Then again outhouses used to state of art as well.
Being 2016 only Ludites afraid of new fangled tech want dirty inefficient three phase power from something other than a VFD.
On occasion a single phase motor is used to drive a three phase alternator .
The VFD allows soft starts, variable rpms and torque limiting to prevent breakage if something jams.

Last edited:
   / 3 phase converter ok ?
I would build an RPC with PhaseCraft controls in a minute just to convert to 3PH for most motors (constant speed/load) and go right to VFD to gain speed control on machine spindles, but use neither for plotter, printer, or CNC machine/table if I could help it.

If you'd pay Cadillac money to get Roll Royce-class waveform and phase balance that your poco only promises there is a 'best' for this IMO and that's a brand called PhasePerfect. I'd be shocked if any maker advised against PP, would expect to see it recommended #1 if anything were esp if seeking isolation from electrical 'noise'/effects generated elsewhere onsite (on your meter).

btw, PP in not just another big biz gadget foisted on everyday users by distorting the benefits out of proportion to our smaller power demands. Lab quality power for delicate electronics is out there. You wouldn't by a cheapo surge suppressor for a valuable tool, with PP you might not need one either. Google-up and find out more.

Phase Perfect

(no connection to them ..)

I clicked your link. Thank you. I'm definitely going to look into them.

/ 3 phase converter ok ? #15  
Being 2016 only Ludites afraid of new fangled tech want dirty inefficient three phase power from something other than a VFD.

Only thing to be afraid of with VFDs is the cost.

With multiple equip, sometimes a rotary just makes sense.

I have a 7.5 hp lathe and a 2hp mill in the shop. Both are wired to and ran off the 10 hp rotary. And can run at the same time.

A quality brand VFD to run the 7.5hp lathe is over a grand. A smaller one for the mill, maybe $250-$300. And each need their own wiring.

Wanna add a 3ph drill press....buy another vfd.
Wanna add a 3ph band saw....buy another vfd.
Wanna add a.......you get the picture.

A rotary can have many things running off it.

Or with multiple equip, just buy a static, and run a few pieces of equipment. Each additional motor running at the same time further balances power in that third leg

/ 3 phase converter ok ? #16  
I would definitely suggest that you talk to the equipment manufacturer for a recommendation because that equipment is not strictly motor loads.
Phase converters work fine for motor loads, but for other types of equipment they can cause some serious problems. A phase converter uses the existing two phases of incoming power and manufactures the third phase. The problem with that approach is that the two incoming phases are 180 degrees apart and the third phase is at 90 degrees to them. That phase is also at an odd voltage to the neutral (typically 284 volts for a 230 volt system). True three phase power has all phases 120 degrees apart and equal voltage to neutral. These characteristics can cause issues for non-motor types of loads.

/ 3 phase converter ok ? #17  
I would definitely suggest that you talk to the equipment manufacturer for a recommendation because that equipment is not strictly motor loads.
Phase converters work fine for motor loads, but for other types of equipment they can cause some serious problems. A phase converter uses the existing two phases of incoming power and manufactures the third phase. The problem with that approach is that the two incoming phases are 180 degrees apart and the third phase is at 90 degrees to them. That phase is also at an odd voltage to the neutral (typically 284 volts for a 230 volt system). True three phase power has all phases 120 degrees apart and equal voltage to neutral. These characteristics can cause issues for non-motor types of loads.

That's only the case with a rotary.

/ 3 phase converter ok ? #19  
If it is electronics you do not want a VFD or static. You likely need true 3 phase which is a MG set (motor/generator) or perhaps a 3 phase diesel generator.

The manufacturer should know. How big is the load?

/ 3 phase converter ok ?
image.png
This is what they list for power requirements

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

Watercolor Painting (A33041)
Watercolor...
Honda Rancher (A33526)
Honda Rancher (A33526)
AGT YSRT14 Skid Steer (A33526)
AGT YSRT14 Skid...
2007 Kenworth T800 T/A Sleeper Truck Tractor (A32932)
2007 Kenworth T800...
Cincinnati Bickford Radial Arm Drill & Turn Table (A33349)
Cincinnati...
2020 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Custom 4x4 Pickup (A33544)
2020 Chevrolet...