2022 Polaris Ranger EV - picked up today!

/ 2022 Polaris Ranger EV - picked up today! #21  
Over priced golf cart. No Thanks!!!
Obviously you have never driven a Ranger EV. It has a 30 horsepower 3 phase AC motor and will climb a tree:
P4210011.JPG
P4210015.JPG

1500 pound tow rating:
P9190081 793+1756=2549.JPG

The empty trailer weighs 1,756 pounds.
Here it is loaded with 12 foot long heavy duty Priefert cattle panels
P7110002 12 panels.JPG
P9230010.JPG

Hooked the crane scale on to a little tree to see what max pull was:
PB190012.JPG

The wheels spun a little then dug in and pulled:
PB190015.JPG

Pulled the tree out of the ground:
PB190018.JPG

/ 2022 Polaris Ranger EV - picked up today! #22  
I would dearly love an electric side-by-side just for the silence - as the OP stated, to hear nothing but the sound of the tires on the dirt.

But I put a lot more miles on my Can-am out exploring the mountains than I do working around my place. Not unusual for me to put on 200 miles on a day's ride so until an electric model is up to that I'm stuck with listening to the roar of the engine. I can always take along an extra can of gas on a long ride, can't take an extra can of electricity.
P1015192ertbn5-27-22.jpg

/ 2022 Polaris Ranger EV - picked up today! #23  
I think an EV is something I need to further investigate. The diesel Gator is very easy on fuel and, since 2014 (when I bought it) has only about 140 hours on it.
I do like the idea of quiet and for the joyriding and chores I do, the EV would be a good fit. Main thing is, do I want to spend the money...?

/ 2022 Polaris Ranger EV - picked up today!
Long overdue update on Evie. I jokingly call her my glorified wheelbarrow!

She gets daily use, I sometimes joy ride to the recycle center or to a neighbor within a couple of miles. Technically not a road vehicle, so I don't do that often.

No issues, we found all the grease nipples and took care of some squeaks that were starting. I've never gone below 48% on battery, charge her about once every week or two. I think I'm at 40ish hours, but I'll have to pay attention when I run out to bring horses in before the rain hits.

I'll try to get some pics.

/ 2022 Polaris Ranger EV - picked up today! #26  
I've had a Polaris Ranger EV for about 3 years now, on our 7 acre property. As a farm mule, it sees a lot of quick short runs, and what would be a lot of start / stop cycles for a gas engine.
I use it to pull a 44" tow-behind mower, often at low speeds that would lug a gas engine and burn the clutch. But it is happy to just crawl along at walking speed or lower.

I also use it to take the dogs for a walk on local gravel roads for a longer distance than I can comfortably walk. One dog take his time, stopping to sniff everything and taking his sweet time. The EV is great for this, and no engine noise or exhaust fumes to mar the experience or bother other walkers and residents on the roads.

The EV is also great for the local high-clearance 4WD road nearby that goes to the river. All those lead-acid batteries low down under the seat gives the EV incredible stability with a very low center of gravity. Off-road is in this EV's DNA. I have never felt like it was going to tip.

I bought the glass front windshield and plastic rear window for winter. The rest of the year I leave them off for a great open-cab experience. I also installed an OEM grab handle on the driver's side, for when the windshield is installed. Makes getting in and out easier. Installed a rearview mirror from Amazon. It is wide so I can see the full rear view without much distortion. The one I got has a small hinge rather than a swivel, so there is less vibration while moving, a common complaint. To further reduce vibration, I used a couple of tie-wraps to put tension on the mount.
20221112_083016.jpg

I couldn't be more pleased with the EV!

After watering the batteries one-by-one a few times, I spent the $$ for a Flow-Rite Pro-Fill BG-U96V-1G (12v x 8) Polaris EV Battery Watering Kit w/Pump (Amazon is one seller). Very much worth it! I ended up replacing the squeeze bulb "pump" with a Pennzoil 36677 Pennzoil Multi-Use Pump, makes for quicker filling with less hassle.

/ 2022 Polaris Ranger EV - picked up today! #27  
I don’t think limited range is that big of a deal to lots of folks, many use them just to keep from having to walk to take the trash out or drive other vehicles around small pieces of property.

However, only being able to go 30 miles before having to charge for 12 or more hours vs spending 30 seconds adding another 5 gallons, is a deal breaker.

Obviously not the OP’s case.
We bought a Chevy Bolt last May and it has it uses. 50 mile round trip to work daily, trips to the grocery store. It has it's use. Long distance driving (~150 miles or more)? No thanks.

Polaris response to a minor warranty item has soured me thoroughly on the company.

The gas strut/hydraulic lift assist broke. Just the end. Crappy metal, snapped off. The new OEM part is $64.99.

Clearly not uncommon since there is an aftermarket upgrade to those ends.

It is a simple part to replace. Two pins. Why am I soured on the company and dealerships? They refuse to mail the part to me as a warranty. They "require" so warranty work to be done at a dealership. With diesel over $5 a gallon, I'd spend more hauling the Ranger EV to the dealership than I would just replacing it.

I wasted a couple of hours of my time and theirs on the phone and they refuse to budge.

I also cannot haul it over to the dealership currently as I just had major back surgery and am not driving, much less hauling my trailer over the mountain... Tiny mountain though it may be.

Instead, I'm going to be the unhappy customer for all of Polaris indefinitely. May as well have gone with the Chinese hisun... Since American customer service is dead.

I do use it daily and love electric still.

For anyone with the struts, here is the aftermarket repair... And a limiter cable is available, since the stress on the part is at the top of the dump.

/ 2022 Polaris Ranger EV - picked up today! #29  
Polaris response to a minor warranty item has soured me thoroughly on the company.

The gas strut/hydraulic lift assist broke. Just the end. Crappy metal, snapped off. The new OEM part is $64.99.

Clearly not uncommon since there is an aftermarket upgrade to those ends.

It is a simple part to replace. Two pins. Why am I soured on the company and dealerships? They refuse to mail the part to me as a warranty. They "require" so warranty work to be done at a dealership. With diesel over $5 a gallon, I'd spend more hauling the Ranger EV to the dealership than I would just replacing it.

I wasted a couple of hours of my time and theirs on the phone and they refuse to budge.

I also cannot haul it over to the dealership currently as I just had major back surgery and am not driving, much less hauling my trailer over the mountain... Tiny mountain though it may be.

Instead, I'm going to be the unhappy customer for all of Polaris indefinitely. May as well have gone with the Chinese hisun... Since American customer service is dead.

I do use it daily and love electric still.

For anyone with the struts, here is the aftermarket repair... And a limiter cable is available, since the stress on the part is at the top of the dump.

Companies can do stupid things.

But if this is the worst thing that happens you should consider moving on. Blame the silly bean counters at Polaris and enjoy your ride.

BTW one of the couples down the road use an old electric golf cart and love it. I am not convinced about an electric UTV due to the cost and the need to replace batteries. My Mule was $8200 delivered with tax in 2020. I do not like the noise but for a savings of $8k+ I can live with it. I came close to getting a golf cart too, but a decent used one was $5k and it made more sense for me to get a new Mule with a three year warranty.

No one "right" answer for everyone.

No oil changes and no fumes in my barn make me glad to have the electric. Adding water to the batteries isn't too bad. From other's experiences I expect 4 to 5 years out of the batteries.

It's also amusing to move it in front of people visiting or delivery guys... The silence has them doing a double take at the new location.