2006 Arctic Cat 400 Utility ATV, automatic

/ 2006 Arctic Cat 400 Utility ATV, automatic #1  

scaredychicken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 160 (1988), Arctic Cat 400 ATV (2006), Kubota BX23S (2018), Jacobsen Super Chief 1450 (1969), Cub Cadet RZT S50 zero turn mower (2012)
Wondering if anyone could give me further information on what appears (to me) to be an 1) idling; 2) automatic clutch problem.

I bought this ATV brand new in 2006, the machine is great and does everything that I need it for. Due to a back injury sustained in a motor vehicle accident in 2010, it has little hours on it since then - perhaps 30 hrs in past 30 months, by my daughter clearing snow etc.

Noticing trouble in the following areas::(

1) electric push button start is difficult if there has been no recent use
2) the pull start has similar challenges if no recent use
3) VOLT indicator flashes periodically
4) will not idle (the adjustment screw needs replacement also)
5) almost 90 % of the time when shifting from forward to reverse / reverse to forward, the machine stalls out ... this is perhaps the case with any shifting, and it does not matter if it has been running for 3 minutes or 2 hrs, cold or hot.
6) operates fine when running and in gear - most of the work however is back and forth, stop and go - not long rides in the country.
7) concerned about getting stuck with the machine somewhere (on or off the property) when it won't fire up again.

I have noticed / complained about this issue for about 3 yrs now. I brought it back to the dealer for routine maintenance services, oil changes, and even replaced the battery within the past year. Each of three invoices was $500 - $700 for them to find the problem, and it still is not resolved. I have no issues with the dealer, they have been great, but it has been costly. Apart from getting right into the guts of the machine - at considerably more time and expense, I don't know what else it could be. I am not mechanical. I have concluded that there must be some internal / automatic clutch that is the problem and the source of the constant stalling. The frequent re-starts are probably hard on the battery also (ie volt indicator).

replacement is not an option, and if I wanted to sell it, I'd need this fixed first.

other ideas ?

cheers, CK

/ 2006 Arctic Cat 400 Utility ATV, automatic #2  
You need to get the idle issue squared away first. The carburetor probably needs a through disassembly and cleaning. About 1 hour's worth of labor at any reputable shop. I suspect the idle circuit in the carb is varnished up or plugged.
The shifting issue may go away after the idling issue is resolved.