2 trailers or 1 ?

/ 2 trailers or 1 ? #1  

om21braz

Veteran Member
For those of you who haul, say lawnmowers = 3500lbs., at least once a week and then have a tractor or skidsteer = 7000lbs. to haul occasionally - do you have separate trailers for each use or one trailer that will do either? Trying to decide whether to keep my 7000GVW 16' landscape-style trailer and buy another for the tractor or just upgrade to 1 trailer that can do either. All advice appreciated!

/ 2 trailers or 1 ? #2  
Om,

You're in a no-win situation. Similarly, I own a 14k and two 3.5k trailers (don't ask). I keep all indoors and hate the space they take up. Two are work trailers so they need to stay.

I really don't like dragging, loading and parking the 14k trailer unless I have to. Some guys don't care.

If I knew I was hauling a lighter load every week, I'd have a dedicated trailer...in fact, I do!

Joe

/ 2 trailers or 1 ? #3  
Two = double the maintenance??

We have one 18' 10K tandem EQ trailer and use it for everything.

/ 2 trailers or 1 ? #4  
If I could get by with say a 10' single axle unit then a HD tandem unit I would have two. If both needed to be tandem axle I would just have the one HD unit to do everything.

The only reason being is a single axle light unit would be easy to maneuver, park, ect. All tandems are a pain so might as well just get the one that fits all your needs.

Chris

/ 2 trailers or 1 ? #5  
I own a 25' deck over, a 12' single axle, and 24' enclosed trailer. As much as my wife hates "yard art" i won't get rid of any of them. Its no fun pulling a Big,long, heavy trailer to pick up a mower, or patio furniture from a store.

/ 2 trailers or 1 ? #6  
I own several trailers... the one I use all the time is an all metal 5 x 6 box trailer with ramp... I'm always moving appliances, hauling small loads to the dump, etc...

Great 90% of the time and can move it around the yard with one hand... it's also low, making loading and unloading a snap. Biggest equipment transported is a Craftsman Riding Mower.

Before I came across the Box Trailer, I use my big trailer for everything... it is so nice not having to do that anymore.

Trailer Tags are the one item in California is reasonable... $18 for 5 years?

I think I will always need at least these three:

Single Axle 5 x 6 Box Trailer Used at least once weekly.

Single Axle 6 x 9 Dump Trailer Seldom used.

Double Axle Enclosed Hauler. Used at least once every couple of weeks

/ 2 trailers or 1 ? #7  
I use three flatbeds (plus boat trailer)! yes, they take up space, but why pull the 8-1/2' x 16' 12k when I don't need it? The8-1/4' x 10 35k handles the Mule & biggest garden tractor, also a small load for distant tractor shows. The 4' x 8' Snowco (has been restored, after pic was taken) is a collectors item & real handy for small loads when I just don't need the wider trailers. ~~ grnspot110

Attachments

• GARDEN TRACTORS 613 (Small).jpg
    GARDEN TRACTORS 613 (Small).jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 157
   / 2 trailers or 1 ? #8  
Interesting post and relevant to me. I recently ordered a 18' 7K utility trailer. I currently have a 12' 3K trailer. I plan on selling the 12' trailer and picking up a 5' x 8' 2K rated trailer to haul my ZTR and ATV. The smaller trailer also will be light enough (aluminum) so that I can also use it around the property behind the tractor and the ATV.

I thought my plan was overkill until I read the responses in this post!!

Will

/ 2 trailers or 1 ? #9  
I have a trailer addiction. 30' GN 25K dual tandem, 24' 14K tandem axle, 16' 12K tandem with sides, 14' 14K dump trailer, 16' 7K aluminum tandem, 6x12' 3.5K single axle, 5x10' 3.5K single axle, 16' enclosed. So the question is 8 vs 1?:thumbsup:

/ 2 trailers or 1 ? #10  
I have two trailers. A 10' single axle that is used to haul mulch, dirt, sand, lawn mower, and anything else I don't want to put in the truck bed. I have an 18' dual axle to haul the tractor. I would hate to have to use the 18' trailer to get a scoop of mulch and then maneuver it around various flower beds in the yard.