2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #71  
1st, thanks for your service. Now u can let your hair grow long (if u still have any)!
Not mentioned - environmental consideration - opposing doors should be placed to maximize natural air flow. Nothing worse than stagnant shop air. With multiple entries, how many maneuvers it will take to get on lift? ‘K’ turns with a large vehicle can be challenging in a confined space. Not to mention floor space that must be cleared.
Small wheel base equipment, mower, SxS, ATV, tractor etc. Major lift manufacturers already have fixtures that attach to arms of 2 post lifts.
I lean towards 2 post, placed near least used overhead door. Make it a drive thru. Unless the shop is dedicated to production and only vehicle repair/maintenance, I assume you’ll be doing other none lift required work in the space.
And my last thought, think about what the overhang will be used for. If storage of equipment/vehicles you may want at least a double door for access.
Good luck and may u have many yrs of enjoyment hiding in your man cavern.

Last edited:
   / 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #72  
I searched the forums using the search function, and could not find what I was looking for. So, here goes. ADMINS, if this is the wrong forum for this topic, apologies. Let me know if it needs to move.

Ok, so... I'm recently retired from a very long 36 year career in the US Army. I bought property in South Carolina, and recently moved into my forever home. We just broke ground for my workshop, and here is my rough floor plan. I want a vehicle lift to work on my dually, my Jeep, my UTV, etc. but I can't decide on either a 2 post or a 4 post. I have read the pro's and con's of each, and still can't make up my mind.

My brother is a 30 year heavy diesel mechanic, and has a 2 post lift at his house. He has told me the differences, and his opinion on the matter. I've never had a lift before, but I know it is a must have for my new shop.

What are your thoughts, from those who have lifts. Also, which brand do you recommend?

My shop will be 40' wide, by 60' deep. I will have three 12x12 roll up doors with aprons, situated as shown in the diagram. I'm adding drains as well. The 14' over hang will have the first 20' finished off, and will be my office. There will be a full bathroom (toilet, sink and shower) in the office area.

Shop will be insulated, and wired with both 110v and 220v.

Looking forward to your insight. Much appreciated.

View attachment 855096
Is the office the front of the building. I have seen 4 posters with wheel attachments to move the hoist around a shop,might be an idea? A permanent hoist in front of the top bay door may be a waist of space

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #73  
Pros and cons to each. Be nice to have both but that is expensive and takes up a lot of room. Need to ask yourself what all work you will be doing on it and the frequency of use. I like the versatility of my Rotary 2 post lift but certainly hate crawling around lining up the lifting points but that only takes a couple of minutes. One thing to add is careful how many doors you put in your shop as there are cons to having too many doors. That is a lot of valuable wall space you lose as well as cons from heat/air conditioning loss, pests, dust, etc. I do not know your property layout but I know if I had a do-over on my shop I would have gone with one less door and not listened to all my friends telling me how "convenient" having all these doors would be. I know when I build my next shop it I will only have the doors I know that I will need to use frequently. Just my $.02.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #74  
When I built my shop 40x60 I installed a Mohawk 10k 2 post which is as good as it gets!!
The thought of 10,000 lbs over my head made that an absolute must. I also have an 8k 4 post lift that has ball bearing pulleys for cables. Believe it or not there were many 4 post lifts with bushed bore pulleys.
The 2 post gives unobstructed access to entire under carriage and is my main lift. The 4 post is very convenient for many other tasks with the optional jack trays & an air jack. I also use it to store my 1990 Dodge Cummins pickup. It’s a high lift model so I can park other vehicles under it.
So I’d say you need one of each.

90cummins

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #75  
I don't know if you guys who are suggesting 2 lift think money grow on trees or if you just have too much money but ether way throw in a few $$ at Op's to fund it then... it's not like he has a shop to built after all.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #76  
I searched the forums using the search function, and could not find what I was looking for. So, here goes. ADMINS, if this is the wrong forum for this topic, apologies. Let me know if it needs to move.

Ok, so... I'm recently retired from a very long 36 year career in the US Army. I bought property in South Carolina, and recently moved into my forever home. We just broke ground for my workshop, and here is my rough floor plan. I want a vehicle lift to work on my dually, my Jeep, my UTV, etc. but I can't decide on either a 2 post or a 4 post. I have read the pro's and con's of each, and still can't make up my mind.

My brother is a 30 year heavy diesel mechanic, and has a 2 post lift at his house. He has told me the differences, and his opinion on the matter. I've never had a lift before, but I know it is a must have for my new shop.

What are your thoughts, from those who have lifts. Also, which brand do you recommend?

My shop will be 40' wide, by 60' deep. I will have three 12x12 roll up doors with aprons, situated as shown in the diagram. I'm adding drains as well. The 14' over hang will have the first 20' finished off, and will be my office. There will be a full bathroom (toilet, sink and shower) in the office area.

View attachment 855096
Seems like the roll up door at the top of the drawing will be blocked by the lift or by a vehicle in what looks like the main work bay.

You can get rolling jacks for the four post lift so you can work on suspension. One reason for four post lifts that I don't see mentioned yet is that with a two post you have to get down on the ground and look under the car when positioning the lift arms. They make asymmetric two post lifts that let you place the car where hopefully the doors aren't blocked my the lift as much. There are also extra wide lifts.

When roll up doors are rolled down there is a big gap at the top. There are bird screen things to keep birds out but they won't keep air out. If you want to condition the air in the shop you might look into sectional doors. They can be had with high tracks that go close to the ceiling so the doors don't get in the way of vehicles on lifts.

You don't need reinforced areas for the lifts, especially a four post. It's got large feet and thus puts less pressure on the floor than the vehicle that's on it does when its on the floor. Two post lifts have manufacturer specs for concrete thickness, psi and how close control joints can be. You might need a little thicker concrete for a two post but as long as you're getting what's speced you don't need significantly thicker. Four posts are more forgiving. Many four posts can be moved and will operate without being bolted down.
Hey, airborne brother. I would go with the 4 post just for the stability. I also would have the bathroom access in the shop not the office. But what it comes down to is you do what you think is best for you.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #77  
wow did you opened up a can of worms with this post, but I have enjoyed reading it. My two sense I have a Wildfire four post lift when I first bought it I didn't have room in my old shop so when I needed to lift something as big as my truck I put the wheels on it and rolled it outside then put it up just like I do the rest of my tools, I added on to my shop and now I don't move it but I could if I needed too. I do not have a professional shop just me and my stuff, neighbors, kids and grandkids the list goes on and on. to sum it up I have had every lawnmower, car, truck, and tractor on mine for some reason or other, I have not been able to put my trailers on it but I did lift the rear of one so I could sit on my rolling stool and do some welding and also removed all four tires to repack the bearings. Good Luck lots of good info here.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #78  
Hey airborne brother. I would go with the 4 post just for the stability but in the long run do what you think is best. The two post is a pain to get in and out of the vehicle. I am sure a local repair shop would let you experiment with one to see which you like. I know IF money were no object I would install the biggest 4 post I could find.

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #79  
I went with mobile columns.

Versatility and free and clear floor was most important to me

/ 2 post or 4 post vehicle lift ideas #80  

View attachment 855096
I have used both extensively and the two post always makes me wary when I'm under there. The four post is much safer. I'm sure you've seen the videos online where a car falls off the two post lift. That doesn't happen on a four post lift.
Some don't bolt them down then they can be moved if need be. To me that is a safety hazard also. I seen an instance where the guy didn't block the wheels on a 1 ton diesel truck up on a four post lift and then removed the drive shaft to replace a u joint and the truck rolled forward and the front wheels rolled off the front of the lift. The truck stopped when the truck frame was sitting on the edge of the lift and the front wheels dangled off the front.The lift posts were not bolted down and leaned back at a 30 degree angle. Scary to say the least but it did not fall!